Unable to edit sales thread title...
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm well aware of the issues the forums website has been having off and on these past couple months...I've found a new problem that I haven't seen before.  I've been running a semi-active Modern sales thread (some of you have been there) since July 6th, 2020.  I often update the thread title with new/updated listings, but for the first time I'm unable.  I go to my very first post and the 'edit' option is no longer there.  I've read through a few other posts in the thread, but nothing really explained my particular issue...except that the thread was started a year ago today.  I hope that doesn't mean that first post is now un-editable...updating the title is kind of important for informing people what's listed and what's coming.  Until I can change the title, I won't work on the thread...just the way I operate my sales.  Any info/advice on this will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks!!! (worship)

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Okay, I'm well aware of the issues the forums website has been having off and on these past couple months...I've found a new problem that I haven't seen before.  I've been running a semi-active Modern sales thread (some of you have been there) since July 6th, 2020.  I often update the thread title with new/updated listings, but for the first time I'm unable.  I go to my very first post and the 'edit' option is no longer there.  I've read through a few other posts in the thread, but nothing really explained my particular issue...except that the thread was started a year ago today.  I hope that doesn't mean that first post is now un-editable...updating the title is kind of important for informing people what's listed and what's coming.  Until I can change the title, I won't work on the thread...just the way I operate my sales.  Any info/advice on this will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks!!! (worship)

The software is currently configured to allow you to edit your posts for one year only I'm afraid Galen - after that you can't amend them.  

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Well, that's unfortunate....

Yes, it's been that way since CGC moved to Invision about 5 years ago.

Maybe an annual thread from now on? 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, it's been that way since CGC moved to Invision about 5 years ago.

Maybe an annual thread from now on? 

Wish I had known this when I started.  Never even heard of this until now.

What do you mean my annual thread?  This one is, of course, a year old but always being updated and actively selling.  My understanding was that I couldn't have more than one thread going in a single sales forum so I kept this one going.  Starting another one is verboten, yes?  I can still continue the one I have, but the title will always be outdated...that's not acceptable to me.  That also tells me that I can't update individual posts when an item sells after a year. :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

What do you mean my annual thread?

I meant start a new one every year, if being unable to update after a year is a deal breaker to continuation.

Still can't have more than active sales thread in forum was my understanding.  I remember reading that when I started last summer...I thought.  Do you think I'd have to close my current one in order to start another?  The one I have now is 90 pages long....

Just now, Galen130 said:

Still can't have more than active sales thread in forum was my understanding.  I remember reading that when I started last summer...I thought.  Do you think I'd have to close my current one in order to start another?  The one I have now is 90 pages long....

I'm not up on sales rules,  but I would imagine you close one and start another, yes, if that's the case. 

@skypinkblu is that right Sharon?

I think you can start a new thread even if you have a year-old thread that you never closed, as long as all your current activity is in the new thread.

I am not certain so please don't rely on it.  If I start a new thread I don't plan to track down my past two old threads that I might never have declared officially 'closed.'

The point is that members don't selfishly crowd the real estate, but having a very old thread still lingering doesn't seem to violate the point of the ONLY ONE THREAD rule.  Just don't bump the old thread.  Might be a problem if you want to keep bumping the old thread (with a hundred pages of books) so you don't have to relist every book in that old thread - and then start a new active thread -  but as you already noticed, you lose the ability to edit.

53 minutes ago, Bird said:

you cannot have more than one ACTIVE sale thread in the same forum. Just say closed in the thread (and mean it) and then start a new thread and you are golden.

I was also told that you should wait until your closed thread is no longer on Page 1.

The old thread would need to be closed before starting a new thread.  This can be done by simply making a post "This thread is closed".  

28 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

The old thread would need to be closed before starting a new thread.  This can be done by simply making a post "This thread is closed".  

Yeah, I won’t do that.  I’ll close it down and go somewhere else.  I’m not relisting 90 pages of raw comic listings.  Thanks for the info though.

2 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Yeah, I won’t do that.  I’ll close it down and go somewhere else.  I’m not relisting 90 pages of raw comic listings.  Thanks for the info though.

I will put a note in the moderators section requesting to extend the editing period to 2 years instead of 1.  It will be about a week before I get an answer.  

14 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I will put a note in the moderators section requesting to extend the editing period to 2 years instead of 1.  It will be about a week before I get an answer.  

While you are there Donna, and if you haven't already done so, could you flag up the 500 errors that we've been seeing daily for some time now please? I've seen some of the technically minded members suggest that there may be a simple solution - it would be a shame to think we were all putting up with this for no other reason than it hadn't been reported. If it has though, and those who are responsible for site maintenance are indeed aware of it, could you try to get some idea from them when it might be fixed?

error.thumb.PNG.7bcbf5205a6957be7f96030125cefe2b.PNG

500errorb.thumb.PNG.929f363d8b41e81afdfb8291de134f74.PNG

The site is pretty much unusable for at least half an hour around the same time every day.

Cheers

On 7/6/2021 at 9:19 PM, comicdonna said:
On 7/6/2021 at 9:15 PM, Galen130 said:

I am told that posts can now be edited up to 2 years instead of 1.