• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a Stan Lee signed amazing fantasy 15
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I don't live in the US but really want to buy an AF 15 signed by Stan.Any ideas as to what the correct price would be and how I could get a great deal and transact honestly ? Thanks

58 minutes ago, subash said:

I don't live in the US but really want to buy an AF 15 signed by Stan.Any ideas as to what the correct price would be and how I could get a great deal and transact honestly ? Thanks

The price is based upon the grade. And GPA has a pretty good history of prior sales, at least upon the sites that it draws its data from.  You can get a one month subscription and that can be the foundation of your research.  I wouldn't think you would ever get a great deal. That is and always will be one of the premier comic books and Stan Lee signature vehicles for all time. There are many trustworthy sellers that have a strong presence here on the Boards.

I need some one who can fly to Minnesota as it would be a face to face transaction. Since I don't live there and there are basically no legal ways of sending money I would have to ask a relative to transfer money to his bank .Btw if there are any sellers please pm me or comment here

If you buy from a reputable auction house or dealer they should have some international shipping/insurance options.

why would you trust any internet stranger to help you make an exchange this large?  And why would they risk it? 
why do you need it so soon? You have the money to spend $$50k+ for a comic book but can’t wait a year until pandemic restrictions lift OR get that amount of money legally into the US?

if I were someone who was even considering helping, I’d want a LOT of questions answered first.

find a real broker/auction house and have them facilitate the deal for you, pay the fees and and escrow and insurance and shipping and taxes.  Or wait until you or someone you know/trust and trusts you to come get the comic for you.

Edited by revat

2 hours ago, revat said:

If you buy from a reputable auction house or dealer they should have some international shipping/insurance options.

why would you trust any internet stranger to help you make an exchange this large?  And why would they risk it? 
why do you need it so soon? You have the money to spend $$50k+ for a comic book but can’t wait a year until pandemic restrictions lift OR get that amount of money legally into the US?

if I were someone who was even considering helping, I’d want a LOT of questions answered first.

find a real broker/auction house and have them facilitate the deal for you, pay the fees and and escrow and insurance and shipping and taxes.  Or wait until you or someone you know/trust and trusts you to come get the comic for you.

These are very good questions.

I don't need it soon, am fishing for reputable potential sellers.i maybe able to come to the US but to come for just one comic is a waste of time and money. In reality there is no possible way I could send this much money to the US legally even if I come physically as my government has set limits so would have to find someone who has an excellent reputation and is willing to accept face to face transactions or come up with a price and payment plan. That's why I am looking for reputable people who may want to take the time for this transaction. Hope that answers most of your questions.

So you are looking for people to help you illegally launder out of your country? I'm currently helping two Nigerian Princes who are in the same situation.  I also have a long lost relative in Indonesia who is looking to move some eight millions of dollars out of his country. Perhaps you could piggyback transactions with him.

Yeeeaaah. This looks legit. "Just send me your bank account number and I'll pop $50k in." If it IS legit, I wish you luck. Find a seller, make a deal, find a way to wire the money or whatever and the seller sends the book. Otherwise deal no.

4 hours ago, subash said:

These are very good questions.

I don't need it soon, am fishing for reputable potential sellers.i maybe able to come to the US but to come for just one comic is a waste of time and money. In reality there is no possible way I could send this much money to the US legally even if I come physically as my government has set limits so would have to find someone who has an excellent reputation and is willing to accept face to face transactions or come up with a price and payment plan. That's why I am looking for reputable people who may want to take the time for this transaction. Hope that answers most of your questions.

Assuming you actually find a seller, I would contact a major auction house to execute the deal, like Sotheby’s or Heritage who have offices all around the world, many of which will likely be easier to deal with regards to your currency or whatever legs restrictions exist.  Sounds like you have the money but face legal difficulties getting the money to the US.  You probably knew you’d pay an extra premium on top of the cost.  

with that in mind, if you found the buyer yourself I think you could contact an auction house the seller could mail them the book (or drop it off) and you could pick it up in the worldwide office of your choice.  If you agreed upon $100k for a book I don’t think it’s unreasonable to pay another $15-$20k in fees/commissions to get everything super secure and legal.  

4 hours ago, revat said:

Assuming you actually find a seller, I would contact a major auction house to execute the deal, like Sotheby’s or Heritage who have offices all around the world, many of which will likely be easier to deal with regards to your currency or whatever legs restrictions exist.  Sounds like you have the money but face legal difficulties getting the money to the US.  You probably knew you’d pay an extra premium on top of the cost.  

with that in mind, if you found the buyer yourself I think you could contact an auction house the seller could mail them the book (or drop it off) and you could pick it up in the worldwide office of your choice.  If you agreed upon $100k for a book I don’t think it’s unreasonable to pay another $15-$20k in fees/commissions to get everything super secure and legal.  

This is very good advice thanks

11 hours ago, shadroch said:

So you are looking for people to help you illegally launder out of your country? I'm currently helping two Nigerian Princes who are in the same situation.  I also have a long lost relative in Indonesia who is looking to move some eight millions of dollars out of his country. Perhaps you could piggyback transactions with him.

Please be respectful and use your brains.If I really wanted to launder money ( and not merely look for a good bargain) the last place I would want to use is a comic book forum of a highly reputable company.Besides which, if you ha actually bothered to read my statement, I said that face to face transactions were a must--my relative in the USA would wire transfer the money in front of the person who would be selling --INSIDE the Bank of the seller.This should in no way  appear as fraudulent.Also its not my fault that my country's forex rules date back to 1947.

@subash you have to admit that this is a very strange request, and if you do not think it's strange I will let you know that it is for people in the US (maybe it's more common in the extreme high dollar market which 99% of us would not be a part of). I agree with the others that you should consider contacting the auction houses as they should be aware of how to work around your countries particular issues and are likely to know whom the owners/sellers are since you're request is so specific. Keep us updated on your search, I'm interested in how easily you can get a signed AF15 as I will never be in a position to buy one. 

6 hours ago, subash said:

Please be respectful and use your brains.If I really wanted to launder money ( and not merely look for a good bargain) the last place I would want to use is a comic book forum of a highly reputable company.Besides which, if you ha actually bothered to read my statement, I said that face to face transactions were a must--my relative in the USA would wire transfer the money in front of the person who would be selling --INSIDE the Bank of the seller.This should in no way  appear as fraudulent.Also its not my fault that my country's forex rules date back to 1947.

It wasn’t too clear from your first post, and you’re probably still formulating ideas too, but this (while still sounding suspicious), presents a more likely and reasonable scenario.

After agreeing to a deal with a seller, you have your relative (in person) meet the seller inside a bank to give him/her the money (however that happens or for whatever reason is none of our business).  What you are looking for HERE is someone (a trustworthy person acting essentially as comic authentication) to come to that exchange and  inspect the book (as the relative has zero comic experience) and ensure everything about the book is ok. And matches all the pictures, which have of previously been shared. At which point the relative takes possession of the book and everyone goes their separate ways.  The “trustworthy comic person” leaves with no knowledge or possession of the money involved, and also does not have possession of the comic (it’s with the relative), or knowledge of what will happen next with the comic.

So essentially you’ve hired a guy HERE to walk into a bank and inspect a graded comic to make sure it’s ok, and that’s it.  I think you could find this here (obviously with some payment).  And maybe this is what you were going for all along, but didn’t quite make clear. 

Edited by revat

2 hours ago, revat said:

It wasn’t too clear from your first post, and you’re probably still formulating ideas too, but this (while still sounding suspicious), presents a more likely and reasonable scenario.

After agreeing to a deal with a seller, you have your relative (in person) meet the seller inside a bank to give him/her the money (however that happens or for whatever reason is none of our business).  What you are looking for HERE is someone (a trustworthy person acting essentially as comic authentication) to come to that exchange and  inspect the book (as the relative has zero comic experience) and ensure everything about the book is ok. And matches all the pictures, which have of previously been shared. At which point the relative takes possession of the book and everyone goes their separate ways.  The “trustworthy comic person” leaves with no knowledge or possession of the money involved, and also does not have possession of the comic (it’s with the relative), or knowledge of what will happen next with the comic.

So essentially you’ve hired a guy HERE to walk into a bank and inspect a graded comic to make sure it’s ok, and that’s it.  I think you could find this here (obviously with some payment).  And maybe this is what you were going for all along, but didn’t quite make clear. 

As usual you have managed to attack the subject with clarity.I want both someone who will know whether the book is original along with a seller .Sending money from Bangladesh is an exercise in futility-- PayPal is banned here. Ideally I wanted to make 10-12 PayPal payments upon getting an invoice as I have been told by my relative who has the account that PayPal would instantly block transactions of USD 50k or more.But my inability to elucidate what I really want should not be misconstrued to make me a money launderer--- that is a Federal Law violation in the US I believe. You on the other hand have actually helped me out. Thank you.

1 hour ago, subash said:

As usual you have managed to attack the subject with clarity.I want both someone who will know whether the book is original along with a seller .Sending money from Bangladesh is an exercise in futility-- PayPal is banned here. Ideally I wanted to make 10-12 PayPal payments upon getting an invoice as I have been told by my relative who has the account that PayPal would instantly block transactions of USD 50k or more.But my inability to elucidate what I really want should not be misconstrued to make me a money launderer--- that is a Federal Law violation in the US I believe. You on the other hand have actually helped me out. Thank you.

In that case to me it sounds like your two best current option are as I stated previously:

1.  You find a seller in the USA.  You arrange for a paid trustworthy agent (who know comics) AND your American relative (who doesn’t know comics) to meet seller at bank.  Your relative pays seller (most likely in full), trustworthy agent inspects comic, and your relative takes the comic.  This option is of course dependent on you being able to get funds to your relative, and your relative being able to safely get the comic to you.  There might be other issues and fees that arise, but those can be settled internally in your family.

2.  The worldwide dealer option- assuming you find a seller or a super auction house like Sotheby’s or heritage finds a seller, you can engage them and they can arrange a way for you to safely and legally pay, and safely and legally get your comic, generally without anyone assuming any risk, including your American relative.  

and just for perspective here are some specific concerns I’d have if considering getting involved as the trustworthy agent:

1.  You can say you’re  buying a comic, but suddenly there is a video showing agent standing there while drugs/weapons/contraband is being sold.  And the agent won’t know til he gets there and it’s too late.

2.  Being blamed if something goes wrong with the sale, and now some shadowy rich folks are mad at me.

3.  Something something HOMELAND SECURITY WATCHLIST.

4.  Aiding and abedding some other crime.

but now that situation is a bit clearer, maybe others have better suggestions.