• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound X Discussion Thread!
2 2

108 posts in this topic

Greetings, everyone!  I know that Tom & I can't be the only two who read this book today...so what did everyone else think?

In this issue we get the official 1st appearance of Clementine!  Loads of variant covers (my fav of which being the Adlard sketch cover)!  Rick Grimes in the future a la Invincible style thanks to Ryan Ottley!  Oh and Ultramega and Manifest Destiny, too!  

I'm a die hard dead-head so I get it for The Walking Dead content but still it was nice to have a new albeit brief Walking Dead storyline! :headbang:

The real question is...how many extra variants, second, third, & foil printings are we gonna get??? :banana:

So let's discuss! @BladeTX @bigclutch @MrWalkingDead @StephenWA @ZombieVet @Crops068 @Dire Wolff

:ph34r: Ryan

94435674_ClementineAdlardSketch.jpeg.3b379d3dee0b15f4e8ee697deb9dc043.jpeg

Being one that did not read issue 75, Rick 2000 started very Star Wars-ish to me.  I did enjoy the start and look forward to where the next 4 issues go.

Spoiler

I notice that Kirkman seems to LOVE killing Michonne.  He did it violently in Solid Blood and now in Skybound X (was that in 75 as well?).

Of the 2 Clementine covers the Adlard is by far the better one.  And both me and @BladeTX ended up with that ratio from our LCS.  I could have grabbed the "sketch" Rick 2000 or the Walden but decided the 3 WD covers and the Adlard ratio was good enough.

I absolutely welcome more UltraMega story.  I need to find a copy of cover A #4.

Completely skipped Manifest Destiny.

@bigclutchmentioned on the last CVL that he has a whole set of connecting covers coming for Skybound X for CVL.  Next CVL is on the 18th, maybe we will see the 1st of them then?

6 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Being one that did not read issue 75, Rick 2000 started very Star Wars-ish to me.  I did enjoy the start and look forward to where the next 4 issues go.

Hide contents

I notice that Kirkman seems to LOVE killing Michonne.  He did it violently in Solid Blood and now in Skybound X (was that in 75 as well?).

Of the 2 Clementine covers the Adlard is by far the better one.  And both me and @BladeTX ended up with that ratio from our LCS.  I could have grabbed the "sketch" Rick 2000 or the Walden but decided the 3 WD covers and the Adlard ratio was good enough.

I absolutely welcome more UltraMega story.  I need to find a copy of cover A #4.

Completely skipped Manifest Destiny.

@bigclutchmentioned on the last CVL that he has a whole set of connecting covers coming for Skybound X for CVL.  Next CVL is on the 18th, maybe we will see the 1st of them then?

Hey Brian, the first 8 of 12 pages in this book are a reprint of TWD 75.   

Spoiler

Yep, same Michonne execution.  #75 ends with Lori clinging to the Governor's leg.

The next 4 pages are new.   I found it light-hearted fun but yeah, bringing a light sabre into anything will bring a Star Wars comparison.   I also did not read Manifest Destiny.  As in, looking at the art, I had zero desire to spend time on it.  Clementine sets up for the teeny bobber book in 2022.  Even the zombie kill was so long range you could hardly see it.  Not my thing but I wish Skybound the best with the new target audience.

Edited by BladeTX
Hide spoiler

On 7/8/2021 at 6:20 AM, BladeTX said:

I also did not read Manifest Destiny.  As in, looking at the art, I had zero desire to spend time on it.

Don't sleep on Manifest Destiny. It's an amazing book. The art in the short story was Matt just having some fun doing an old Looney Tunes style. The art in the main book is outstanding. I think Matt is one of the best artists out there. 

2 minutes ago, bigclutch said:

Don't sleep on Manifest Destiny. It's an amazing book. The art in the short story was Matt just having some fun doing an old Looney Tunes style. The art in the main book is outstanding. I think Matt is one of the best artists out there. 

the covers for that book are epic- I thought the art was amazing and very original- I normally bought those books just because of the insane covers and creative art-  they definitely stood out on the comic shop shelves

48 minutes ago, bigclutch said:

MD is awesome!!  

53 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

MD is awesome!!  

OK!! I'll give it a shot.  I have the first trade hardcover I got in a Mystery box but never read it so I'm already prewired for the first 6 issues.

2 hours ago, bigclutch said:

That cover is pretty amazing. I was given 50 copies. There are some comps, but there's definitely less than 100 total for this book.:whatthe:

The Clem cover is not part of the connecting covers. 

So Shawn...I've been itching to get you to do a Signature Series signing for something...could it be that there will be yellow label 9.8's of this coming down the pipeline maybe??? :wishluck:

20 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

So Shawn...I've been itching to get you to do a Signature Series signing for something...could it be that there will be yellow label 9.8's of this coming down the pipeline maybe??? :wishluck:

I'll figure out a way to make some available to collectors. They'll probably be through a charity auction or something like that.

1 hour ago, bigclutch said:

I'll figure out a way to make some available to collectors. They'll probably be through a charity auction or something like that.

That would be awesome!  If so, sign me up! :) 

:news:

Issue 2 dropped today!!!  What did everyone think?  2 in and 3 to go!  

Here's the tally so far (of what I know) of different variants/issues that exist or are known about (I was inspired by Stephen to make this btw because I know he loves lists :))

#1 Cover A (Rick Grimes 2000 Ottley Color)

#1 Cover B (Ultra Mega Harren Color)

#1 Cover C (Clementine Walden Color)

#1 Cover D (Adlard Walden Color)

#1 Cover E (Blank Sketch)

#1 Sketch F (Ultra Mega Harren Sketch) 1:10 Ratio

#1 Sketch G (Clementine Walden Sketch) 1:10 Ratio

#1 Sketch H (Clementine Adlard Sketch) 1:10 Ratio

#1 Sketch I (Rick Grimes 2000 Ottley Sketch) 1:25 Ratio

#1 Skybound Exclusive Yoshi Yoani Variant

#1 Skybound Big Clutch Bressan(?) Variant

#1 Skybound Connecting Cover (TBA)

#1 2nd Print Cover A (Clementine Corona Color)

#1 2nd Print Cover B (Clementine Corona Sketch)

(13 total covers so far as of 7/14/21)

#2 Cover A (Rick Grimes 2000 Rathburn Color)

#2 Cover B (Birthright Bressan Color)

#2 Cover C (Machine Boy Vuong/Kniivila Color)

#2 Cover D (Birthright Bressan Color Sketch) 1:10

#2 Cover E (Machine Boy Vuong/Kniivila Sketch) 1:10

#2 Cover F (Rick Grimes 2000 Rathburn Sketch) 1:25

(6 total covers as of 7/14/21)

#3 Cover A (Rick Grimes 2000 Adams Color)

#3 Cover B (Science Dog Walker Color)

#3 Cover C (Assassin Nation Henderson Color)

#3 Cover D (Murder Falcon Johnson Color)

#3 Cover E (Science Dog Walker Sketch) 1:10

#3 Cover F (Assassin Nation Henderson Sketch) 1:10

#3 Cover G (Murder Falcon Johnson Sketch) 1:10

#3 Cover H (Rick Grimes 2000 Adams Sketch) 1:25

(8 total covers as of 7/14/21)

#4 (will be added shortly - TBA)

(6 total covers as of 7/14/21)

#5 (will be added shortly - TBA)

(8 total covers as of 7/14/21)

*Note - I'l continue to keep this list updates as new variants/sketches/foils/Big Clutch surprises unfold throughout the coming weeks...stay tuned!

See below for my fav cover from this week - the Cliff Rathburn Sketch Variant!!! :headbang:

19101702_RickGrimes2000.jpeg.27748d79e7d6b2294a474303159398be.jpeg

On 7/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, bigclutch said:

That cover is pretty amazing. I was given 50 copies. There are some comps, but there's definitely less than 100 total for this book.:whatthe:

The Clem cover is not part of the connecting covers. 

More than 1 CVL Skybound X cover!  What what!