• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Skybound X Discussion Thread!
2 2

108 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2021 at 4:14 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

Greetings, everyone!  I know that Tom & I can't be the only two who read this book today...so what did everyone else think?

In this issue we get the official 1st appearance of Clementine!  Loads of variant covers (my fav of which being the Adlard sketch cover)!  Rick Grimes in the future a la Invincible style thanks to Ryan Ottley!  Oh and Ultramega and Manifest Destiny, too!  

I'm a die hard dead-head so I get it for The Walking Dead content but still it was nice to have a new albeit brief Walking Dead storyline! :headbang:

The real question is...how many extra variants, second, third, & foil printings are we gonna get??? :banana:

So let's discuss! @BladeTX @bigclutch @MrWalkingDead @StephenWA @ZombieVet @Crops068 @Dire Wolff

:ph34r: Ryan

94435674_ClementineAdlardSketch.jpeg.3b379d3dee0b15f4e8ee697deb9dc043.jpeg

Is this really new TWD material? Or more of a cameo?

I have not bought (or even seen inside) the book. Is it worth getting one? I saw there were 9 covers (A-I) of number 1 and 6 (A-F) of number 2 just announced.

Do we think it should feature in any of the TWD / TWDD Registry sets?

1 hour ago, StephenWA said:

I have not bought (or even seen inside) the book. Is it worth getting one? I saw there were 9 covers (A-I) of number 1 and 6 (A-F) of number 2 just announced.

It is definitely new TWDD content.  Many, many TWD characters and references in the books.  I think you should consult @Sensei Ryan about inclusion in the Registry as you both have a big stake in that.

9 hours ago, StephenWA said:

Would you consider Ultimate Spider-man an appearance of Spider-man?  If the answer is yes, then it would absolutely be WD content but a different universe similar to Solid Blood being connected to WD in the same way.

3 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Would you consider Ultimate Spider-man an appearance of Spider-man?  If the answer is yes, then it would absolutely be WD content but a different universe similar to Solid Blood being connected to WD in the same way.

Really good question.  That TWD w/ Variants set has the kitchen sink  - everything from Negan content in Image First Magazine to a Michonne comic in Playboy.  I guess if it's the Uber set it would make sense.  But by that logic, every future TWD spinoff series would go in there as well.  This set is going to be one hell of a challenge for a new collector (700+ books and counting)

5 minutes ago, williamblood said:

any idea how many of the clementine 9.8 will be for sale on sundays vault

I'm guessing zero.  And the reason I say that is all of the prior CVL books could be found in the CGC census before the show.  There are no graded Skybound X books yet.  I could be wrong but I expect we'll see them in a month or two.

17 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Really good question.  That TWD w/ Variants set has the kitchen sink  - everything from Negan content in Image First Magazine to a Michonne comic in Playboy.  I guess if it's the Uber set it would make sense.  But by that logic, every future TWD spinoff series would go in there as well.  This set is going to be one hell of a challenge for a new collector (700+ books and counting)

There are partial and complete completionists.  I am not talking about non-comic appearances, even though some would include those. 🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I'm guessing zero.  And the reason I say that is all of the prior CVL books could be found in the CGC census before the show.  There are no graded Skybound X books yet.  I could be wrong but I expect we'll see them in a month or two.

Not completely accurate.  Some of the previous were on the way back.  So while I would expect that would be the case here, it might not hit the census before the event.

32 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Not completely accurate.  Some of the previous were on the way back.  So while I would expect that would be the case here, it might not hit the census before the event.

How long is the lag between assigned grade and the census update?

25 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

How long is the lag between assigned grade and the census update?

Not to but in, but I want to say, or it was said recently about a week. I'll wait for confirmation, but would like to know as well  :)

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not to but in, but I want to say, or it was said recently about a week. I'll wait for confirmation, but would like to know as well  :)

A week is a pretty tight window to pass final grading and have product for CVL, as you need at least one for the show.  And don’t want to hold up shipments.

9 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

A week is a pretty tight window to pass final grading and have product for CVL, as you need at least one for the show.  And don’t want to hold up shipments.

Well they update the census before shipped, so when the census updates is usually over night or by the time slabs are in hand. The info is already submitted and uploaded but can take a while to show on our end

Once a slab ships from cgc, it is instantly available to certification look up, but the census specifically can take a little while sometimes

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

not to be a drag or anything--but why are these books presumably getting graded faster than peoples books who have been waiting 3 months just to get their boxes open and marked received?-- doesn't seem right to me-- do companies pay express fees or does cgc just push them through first?  what's the criteria to get to jump line?-- just asking--(please don't bite my head off) 

11 hours ago, MrWalkingDead said:

not to be a drag or anything--but why are these books presumably getting graded faster than peoples books who have been waiting 3 months just to get their boxes open and marked received?-- doesn't seem right to me-- do companies pay express fees or does cgc just push them through first?  what's the criteria to get to jump line?-- just asking--(please don't bite my head off) 

I think the criteria is… you are getting multiple books graded a month, with 9.8 prescreening, and total graded is 250 comics per book after screening.  So we could be talking 1,000 graded books a month.  I would expect that gets you some privileges. 

Speaking strictly from my opinion on the two TWD Skybound X stories (Rick Grimes 2000 and Clementine) - what are everyone else's thoughts on these, good, bad, & ugly?  Here are my takes...

1. Rick Grimes 2000 - I absolutely love it!  Wish it could be an ongoing!  Totally out there and different but I very much like it and Ottley's art is spot on.  With Kirkman writing it, too, it's definitely exciting! :takeit:

2. Clementine - absolutely not a fan of the art...and most definitely not a fan of the word bubbles looking like ghosts/thoughts.  Glad we have a new something TWD to be excited about but I think that the idea to market this to a middle school/early high school audience is off the mark (TWD World's Apart AMC show comes to mind and we all see how that's going).  I mean, it's like writing the Punisher for middle schoolers.  If anything, TWD has always flourished because of it's mature and graphic raw style...but to market TWD to younger readers?  No idea how that's gonna work but we'll see.  I'm hyped we have a new character like Clementine introduced into TWD universe but I'd love to see her make it in to the world we all know and are familiar with with the original series. 2c

What does everyone else think?  I miss Adlard's art tremendously and I would LOVE to have a new TWD ongoing geared to a more mature audience as before but maybe I'm dreaming that that will ever happen.  Either way, I'm looking forward to the next 3 issues of Skybound X and hope for more TWD comic book news to come down the road!

14 hours ago, MrWalkingDead said:

Fast track + Pre-Screen (both extra costs), plus we're shipping books straight from the printer. Even with that, books are still a bit of a pre-sale as we wait for them to get through the CGC system and get encapsulated. We're thankfully able to know how many 9.8's we're getting in advance.

39 minutes ago, bigclutch said:

Fast track + Pre-Screen (both extra costs), plus we're shipping books straight from the printer. Even with that, books are still a bit of a pre-sale as we wait for them to get through the CGC system and get encapsulated. We're thankfully able to know how many 9.8's we're getting in advance.

what happens to the copies that dont pass pre-screen