• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Video Game Grading

8 posts in this topic

Didn't know where else to post this, so here it goes.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9052/video-game-grader/?utm_source=The Mx Group&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=21-CCG-0757 CGC Video Games Announcement eBlast&mkt_tok=NjY2LUtGWi04MjIAAAF-JyrNLnyZWokpwEi1bcHX3Muu8mkn_iddLBzWfLiAnxRd0jkhNrN5QeatDutuzlGOak3WSOSZzLwsaZZPBqbASZkvKVvpX2VGwx6THcz9

Cool, I really am interested to see what CGC will offer in availability. I got some older games and with this announcement makes me want to go pickup some other older games from the 90s.

I imagine Video Games to be one of the hardest things to grade. So many different size boxes with variants galore. Not like cards with a 1 size fits all. So many different packaging to consider.

15 hours ago, Toybot said:

Didn't know where else to post this, so here it goes.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9052/video-game-grader/?utm_source=The Mx Group&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=21-CCG-0757 CGC Video Games Announcement eBlast&mkt_tok=NjY2LUtGWi04MjIAAAF-JyrNLnyZWokpwEi1bcHX3Muu8mkn_iddLBzWfLiAnxRd0jkhNrN5QeatDutuzlGOak3WSOSZzLwsaZZPBqbASZkvKVvpX2VGwx6THcz9

Cool, I really am interested to see what CGC will offer in availability. I got some older games and with this announcement makes me want to go pickup some other older games from the 90s.

I imagine Video Games to be one of the hardest things to grade. So many different size boxes with variants galore. Not like cards with a 1 size fits all. So many different packaging to consider.

absolutely.   So many variants, so many different sizes, so much to know, so few people that know it, so few people that know it that will want to move to Florida for what is probably an "okay" paying job.    

It will be interesting to watch, but I'm not sure if they know what they are getting into as their press release is basically a help wanted ad.    IMO there are so few qualified people that its the sort of thing where you ask around and then approach someone, this open casting call concept suggests they might not even know who to ask to get started.

But, hey, I wish them luck, and I hope I'm wrong.   It will be nice to see another option anyways.   At the end of the day even that alone is a positive for the marketplace and comics-centric people may be more comfortable taking a leap into games with the cgc brand.

Edited by Bronty

Even a whale starts as an egg. I'm sure PSA or any card grader had the exact same problem. Look where it's at now. If someone could pickup a super early PSA graded card back then knowing what they know now, they likely would buy up every single one they could. There's no Golden Age, that's just a euphoric feeling. There's just winners like Charizard and losers like Bennie Babies.

I don’t follow what you mean.  

I’m saying the cart is before the horse.  Hire people before you make announcements .   Its one press release, but it gives the impression that they haven’t thought it through. 

23 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I don’t follow what you mean.  

I’m saying the cart is before the horse.  Hire people before you make announcements .   Its one press release, but it gives the impression that they haven’t thought it through. 

Exactly. What a misleading headline. CGC to Hire Top Video Game Experts...then the actual news release article is “Do you love video games? Do you sit around all day playing them? Then you must be a spooning expert! Why not turn your passion and expertise of playing video games into a career grading them!” 

image.gif.26e2f8e534f9b3f573e6ff6e4dc1a744.gif

BA435837-D8A5-4463-BCE5-4ABF15192B67.jpeg

I understand what you are saying.

Question: Even if you hired all the X Card Game Experts, say YuGiOh, wouldn't you still want to train and hire more people?

Not saying CCC did or did not hire "Experts" in the field, just that saying they want to hire more doesn't mean they haven't hired already OR in the process of acquiring an Established service like VGA or WATA and integrating into CCG.

Everything starts somewhere. Magic started with a guy begging his neighbors to invest into a silly little trading card game, a concept no one ever heard cause he made it up. Even if CCG has 0 people hired currently, it doesn't mean they don't intend to bring in as many people as possible into this project.

I am stoked and I already have a lineup of old games I am looking to buy now.

Edited by Toybot