• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masters of the Universe/ Teen Titans 25

9 posts in this topic

Can someone explain this?

The Titans premiere in DC Presents 26, in a insert included in every copy. DC Presents 26 sells for more than Titans #1 and seems to be mch more desirable. 

Masters of the Universe #1 seems to have picked up steam and is closing in on $1,000 in 9.8.  It has about 900 slabed copies.

He Man and Company actually debut in an insert of Teen Titans 25, published about a month before MOTU #1. It has less than 100 slabbed copies and a 9.8 just sold for $70. 

TT 25 came first and has a fraction of the number of 9.8s, and overall slabs. 

I smell opportunity.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Perhaps you should look up what DCP 47, the actual debut of He-Man and company, sells for.

DCP 47 - July 1982
NTT 25 - November 1982
MoTU 1 - December 1982

That explains some of it but why are the first and third appearences so valuable and the second isn't? Both of them are far more comon than the Preview.

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That explains some of it but why are the first and third appearences so valuable and the second isn't? Both of them are far more comon than the Preview.

NTT 24 was probably the hottest book DC put out that month. No one cared about MOTU.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

On the CGC Census? Yeah, because those are the ones people are buying and so are worth submitting.

NTT 25 isn't the first appearance, doesn't have a MotU cover, and isn't AN ISSUE #1 OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!

On 7/9/2021 at 11:55 PM, skrank said:

Almost all the DC titles from that month carried the MOTU preview.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1982,_November

Yep, that is the reason not in higher demand it appears in about half of DC books cover dated Nov 1982.  My favorites of which are  NTT 25, JLA 208, Daring Adventures of Supergirl #1, All-Star Squadron 15, Captain Carrot 9.

Edited by MAR1979

Bump!

Just because I've noticed in the recent mycomicshop auctions that these MofU "previews" are apparently being pulled out of the comics they were originally in, and then sent to CGC to be graded separately, and 9.8s of the graded preview pages can go for over $100.00.  Doesn't seem like there's any indication or note of which particular comic the preview came out of.  And as far as I can tell the comics these previews came in still aren't especially valuable, so it's weird that the pages in said books, separated out, could be more valuable.  Also seems like there ought to be a higher chance that the pages inside a given book would grade higher than the overall book, since they are more protected.

I guess it's probably still not a great investment risk to spend $30-$40 to grade and only get maybe $100 back if it comes back 9.8.  But could they go higher than that?  Or you think this a temporary fad?

I do wonder how they get the preview pages out of the original comic.  Do they remove the staples?  And then put them back? Or just cut away the rest of the book?    

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, Axelrod said:

Bump!

Just because I've noticed in the recent mycomicshop auctions that these MofU "previews" are apparently being pulled out of the comics they were originally in, and then sent to CGC to be graded separately, and 9.8s of the graded preview pages can go for over $100.00.  Doesn't seem like there's any indication or note of which particular comic the preview came out of.  And as far as I can tell the comics these previews came in still aren't especially valuable, so it's weird that the pages in said books, separated out, could be more valuable.  Also seems like there ought to be a higher chance that the pages inside a given book would grade higher than the overall book, since they are more protected.

I guess it's probably still not a great investment risk to spend $30-$40 to grade and only get maybe $100 back if it comes back 9.8.  But could they go higher than that?  Or you think this a temporary fad?

I do wonder how they get the preview pages out of the original comic.  Do they remove the staples?  And then put them back? Or just cut away the rest of the book?    

Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

it should be graded as qualified as they are nothing more than pages removed from a comic. SMH,CGC should know better than this!

Edited by MAR1979