• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boards are tugging at me to get back in.

23 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, BrianNichols said:

I love comics.  I love art and a good story.  Comics actually are probably responsible for my love of art and a good story.  I used to collect when I was in middle school/high school back in the early 80's.  I always told myself that I'd share my comics with my kids, and then sell them all off when my kids go to college to help fund their first year of college, or whatever.  When my son was born I started collecting again back @ 2004 for a few years, then the interest waned.  My kids have read many of my comics, but honestly they prefer novels, movies and video games.  Anyhow, now it's time to start thinking about college for my son, and I decided to start looking up comic prices. (I knew the whole Marvel/Disney development was good for comics)  Prices are awesome right now and my plan to cash in and help fund the first year or so out of the house for my kids is looking good.  Honestly I don't have a ton of very valuable stuff, but enough to raise some cash and the kids are doing great in school and will probably pull some financial assistance.  So I get on to these boards to do some research and to learn how to price/sell my comics and all of a sudden I start to desire getting back into collecting again.:bigsmile:  I get the bug.  I realize why I love comics.  I start coveting Pre-Code horror books.  I start thinking about selling a bunch of mid-grade bronze stuff to buy a nice slabbed book that I really want.  Thanks a lot people . . .thanks for reminding me the passion that is comic collecting.  Thanks for showing me how much cool stuff is out there. . . and thanks for throwing a wrench into my plans.  doh!

This was a great read. As I read it, my little voice was saying "Man, I'd NEVER sell my comics to fund my kids college education." It sounds mean, but as MY kids went, I paid through the nose just to get them to 18 years old. Then, "You're an adult, now. I'll guide you if I can. Not paying your way."

As a parent, we have to put our own selves on the back burner for YEARS. DECADES. Comics and music collecting are my thing that help make me who I am. They are MINE. Everything else belongs to my wife and/or kids. But not my music. Not my comics.

Comics are a passion. Not money. Comics are catharsis. Good for the soul.

13 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

This was a great read. As I read it, my little voice was saying "Man, I'd NEVER sell my comics to fund my kids college education." It sounds mean, but as MY kids went, I paid through the nose just to get them to 18 years old. Then, "You're an adult, now. I'll guide you if I can. Not paying your way."

As a parent, we have to put our own selves on the back burner for YEARS. DECADES. Comics and music collecting are my thing that help make me who I am. They are MINE. Everything else belongs to my wife and/or kids. But not my music. Not my comics.

:tink:

21 hours ago, BrianNichols said:

I love comics.  I love art and a good story.  Comics actually are probably responsible for my love of art and a good story.  I used to collect when I was in middle school/high school back in the early 80's.  I always told myself that I'd share my comics with my kids, and then sell them all off when my kids go to college to help fund their first year of college, or whatever.  When my son was born I started collecting again back @ 2004 for a few years, then the interest waned.  My kids have read many of my comics, but honestly they prefer novels, movies and video games.  Anyhow, now it's time to start thinking about college for my son, and I decided to start looking up comic prices. (I knew the whole Marvel/Disney development was good for comics)  Prices are awesome right now and my plan to cash in and help fund the first year or so out of the house for my kids is looking good.  Honestly I don't have a ton of very valuable stuff, but enough to raise some cash and the kids are doing great in school and will probably pull some financial assistance.  So I get on to these boards to do some research and to learn how to price/sell my comics and all of a sudden I start to desire getting back into collecting again.:bigsmile:  I get the bug.  I realize why I love comics.  I start coveting Pre-Code horror books.  I start thinking about selling a bunch of mid-grade bronze stuff to buy a nice slabbed book that I really want.  Thanks a lot people . . .thanks for reminding me the passion that is comic collecting.  Thanks for showing me how much cool stuff is out there. . . and thanks for throwing a wrench into my plans.  doh!

Which slabbed comic?

On 7/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, Randall Ries said:

This is very true! Comics can also serve as an escape from the unrelenting mind numbing stupidity of the real world. This is where having a plentiful supply of reader copies comes in reeeely handy! I'd also note how much easier they are to store in large quantities than regular books, novels, etc.

44 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

This is very true! Comics can also serve as an escape from the unrelenting mind numbing stupidity of the real world. This is where having a plentiful supply of reader copies comes in reeeelly handy! I'd also note how much easier they are to store in large quantities than regular books, novels, etc.

Good points! They take me back to the times when things were simpler. Funny, though. I remember complaining back then but when I compare to now, not sure why I was complaining. These are truly difficult times hard to deal with. I read mostly books from the 1960's and 1970's. Many modern comics sort of reflect the meanness, narcissism and the general "air" of the times.

On 7/11/2021 at 6:42 PM, BrianNichols said:

Welcome back. 

in my humble opinion,comic books are the greatest medium for telling the story of  art and plot and make no bones about it, stories have been important since the Dawn of time. 
Do what makes you happy buddy. 

On 7/12/2021 at 2:35 AM, Randall Ries said:

I agree fully. 
likewise comics and vinyl are MY thing. I’d sell the house before these 2. Too many sentimental and good memories to part. 

god, take these 2 things away from me and nobody would want to live with me. I’d be a right miserable ****

2 hours ago, The lips said:

I agree fully. 
likewise comics and vinyl are MY thing. I’d sell the house before these 2. Too many sentimental and good memories to part. 

god, take these 2 things away from me and nobody would want to live with me. I’d be a right miserable ****

I have had to stand my ground before on especially the music collection. Vinyl, cassettes, CD's then Hard Drives. I have had everything taken from me. Everything except for the music. During a bitter divorce, I saw how it was going to go down and rented a space and packed it all in. Everything that was MINE. Sure enough, she wanted all that as well. Nope. It's gone. Did I sell it? No. Gave it away to different people. If I said I sold it, she'd have asked the judge to make me give her half the proceeds. Even the judge was tired of her so he didn't pursue it.

That is MINE. Belongs to ME. NO ONE can take any of it unless I give it to them. My God. How can people go from being so in love to utter hatred in the span of a month?

8 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I have had to stand my ground before on especially the music collection. Vinyl, cassettes, CD's then Hard Drives. I have had everything taken from me. Everything except for the music. During a bitter divorce, I saw how it was going to go down and rented a space and packed it all in. Everything that was MINE. Sure enough, she wanted all that as well. Nope. It's gone. Did I sell it? No. Gave it away to different people. If I said I sold it, she'd have asked the judge to make me give her half the proceeds. Even the judge was tired of her so he didn't pursue it.

That is MINE. Belongs to ME. NO ONE can take any of it unless I give it to them. My God. How can people go from being so in love to utter hatred in the span of a month?

Sounds terrible pal, hope all is ok now and you’ve kept things that are important to you 

6 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I have a wonderful 3rd wife for the last 21 years. She leaves my comics and music alone. She gets it.

Not to pry, but I wish you mentioned this more lol

I remember now that you have, but other posts made me forget and or want to (((hug))) the regret or remorse away Haha

Call me sentimental,  and I'm not looking for a mate myself, still as long as everyone has love some way somehow is important to me  :foryou:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM