• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOM: Mother of Madness #1
1 1

19 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Arkham said:

It’s an Image #1, so I figure some of you will probably buy five copies because of that alone. 
But, who is taking a punt on this book? Has anyone seen early previews?

Considering that a well-known actress is co-writing, I would think that it's quite possible that a development deal for the screen is already in the works, so I ordered a few copies; the main cover, no pricey variants. No idea what the quality will be; we'll see.

Feel it’s going to be similar to BRZRKR, it has a celebrity with a 1:500 variant that is a signed version of the book so stores are going to order all the copies required to get the 1:500 and all of the other covers will be way overprinted. I went to my LCS last week and they had a display stand full of BZRKR 1 for that very reason. I’ll still pick up a copy but I’m not going crazy on it, to each his own though if you do.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, wiparker824 said:

Feel it’s going to be similar to BRZRKR, it has a celebrity with a 1:500 variant that is a signed version of the book so stores are going to order all the copies required to get the 1:500 and all of the other covers will be way overprinted. I went to my LCS last week and they had a display stand full of BZRKR 1 for that very reason. I’ll still pick up a copy but I’m not going crazy on it, to each his own though if you do.

Comes out next week. There is no signed gimick, no store variants.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Was not aware, thanks! Who is it signed by? Also, still no store variants, correct?

Signed by Emilia, just like BRZRKR was signed by Keanu. Which is why I said it’s going to be very similar the only difference is this one is a 1:500 whereas the Keanu was a 1:1000. But there will be a lot of stores ordering what they have to to hit the incentives since they’re signed by a celebrity making the regular covers very commonly overprinted and you’ll see a stack at your LCS for a long time due to that. 

4 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Signed by Emilia, just like BRZRKR was signed by Keanu. Which is why I said it’s going to be very similar the only difference is this one is a 1:500 whereas the Keanu was a 1:1000. But there will be a lot of stores ordering what they have to to hit the incentives since they’re signed by a celebrity making the regular covers very commonly overprinted and you’ll see a stack at your LCS for a long time due to that. 

But they aren't offering a CGC option are they? That and the fact that it was a different cover is what made it in demand. Forbidden Planet was selling the regular cover signed for $14.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/332069-mom-mother-of-madness-1-cover-a-ratcliffe-emilia-clarke-signed-edition/

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

But they aren't offering a CGC option are they? That and the fact that it was a different cover is what made it in demand. Forbidden Planet was selling the regular cover signed for $14.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/332069-mom-mother-of-madness-1-cover-a-ratcliffe-emilia-clarke-signed-edition/

Yeah I don’t think they’ve released the final art for the 1:500 but I’d suspect there’s something different about it than the Cover A to indicate it’s not just a Cover A with a signature could be wrong but that’s my guess. The cheapest I’ve seen it is Midtown listing it for $400. But like I said it will be “similar” to BRZRKR not that it will be  exactly the same. If you bought a bunch I hope it works out for you, but personally will just grab 1 copy of Cover A for the read.

14 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Yeah I don’t think they’ve released the final art for the 1:500 but I’d suspect there’s something different about it than the Cover A to indicate it’s not just a Cover A with a signature could be wrong but that’s my guess. The cheapest I’ve seen it is Midtown listing it for $400. But like I said it will be “similar” to BRZRKR not that it will be  exactly the same. If you bought a bunch I hope it works out for you, but personally will just grab 1 copy of Cover A for the read.

Midtown already dropped it 10% to $360.
I haven't bought any...yet...

On 7/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, eddly said:

I skipped this book (also skipped bzrkr). Just feels overhyped. Cover art looks ugly and the story sounds boring.

Exactly what I thought when I looked at it.  Hard pass.

Patrick

I thought it was ... okay, I guess? Maya's an acceptably interesting character, but the rest of the setting feels strangely flat. There are definitely better books out there right now. And better covers than Jo Ratcliffe's Cover A.