• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

706 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Too bad it's not signed by SL on the cover. A yellow label plus the 9.6 would rocket this book to the fourth dimension!

Well, that really all depends if bidders in that deep deep end of the pool prefer writing, or in the case of SL possibly even defaced smudges, on the front cover of their books or not?  :p  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that really all depends if bidders in that deep deep end of the pool prefer writing, or in the case of SL possibly even defaced smudges, on the front cover of their books or not?  :p  (shrug)

Better if it was his last sig ever. Man, out of this world!

12 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

tim, it's no prettier that the vancouver copy of cmj 2, don't you agree????

I've seen very few books prettier than the Vancouver CMJ 2!  

This book ain't one of them, but it looks like a solid 9.6 from the scan.

10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
21 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm holding out for a 9.8 copy.

That would break any existing price record by a mile, if a copy exits...given the age of the book, I do not think one exists at the 9.8 level, if one did hit the market it would be easily 5 million, possibly 7 Million

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bqvrpt22kx39rocuu5tn

I honestly don't think it can overtake Action Comics #1.  However, if the bidding gets close somebody might just put a bid to beat record.

I really wonder why somebody would give up such a prestigious collection.  I'm assuming they don't need the money.

***My guess...$2.9M

Just remember, we aren't comparing apples to apples. The record setting AC1 was an 8.5

An AF15 9.6 may take the crown, but only until one of those AC1 9.0s emerges. I still think AC1 is the crown jewel of our hobby.

I just think an AF15 9.6 that looks that pretty, is going to command slightly more than an AC1 8.5 

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
14 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
23 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm holding out for a 9.8 copy.

It looks like you could resub this one and have a good shot.

Corners don't look good enough for a 9.8.

WTF..............so are you saying that corners, edges, and staples are once again back in play after they were taken out just in time for the grading of the Promise Collection books.  That's the thing about undisclosed grading standards because they can go up and down and all around and you can never ever complain that they are wrong.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Especially being a dedicated and avid CGC label chaser, I was all in on this book here and now are you guys trying to tell me that my chances for a squish squash up to CGC 9.8 is less than 50:50 here on this beauty of a label:  :devil:

Image 01 - Strange Tales (1968) # 169 (9.6 CGC WP) 1st Doctor Strange In His Own Title

4 hours ago, Crowzilla said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Corners don't look good enough for a 9.8.

Look better than many of the Promise 9.8s

I think we all know that GA books are graded on a different curve than all other books.

10 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Just remember, we aren't comparing apples to apples. The record setting AC1 was an 8.5

An AF15 9.6 may take the crown, but only until one of those AC1 9.0s emerges. I still think AC1 is the crown jewel of our hobby.

I just think an AF15 9.6 that looks that pretty, is going to command slightly more than an AC1 8.5 

While true it not the highest in the census …also remember there’s only 1 8.5 and 2 9.0’s, whereas with the AF15 there’s 4 9.6’s. So yeah 8.5 isn’t the top grade but there’s only 2 other copies as good or better than an 8.5 when there’s 3 other copies as good as the 9.6.

Also keeping in mind there’s only 2 Action 1’s in an 8.0 and only 1 in a 7.5 and 0 in a 7.0. Meaning the 8.5 is one of the top 3 copies and if you miss out on it and want a high grade copy above a 6.5 you are talking about waiting for one of the only 6 books known to be in existence to come for sale again, which depending on your age you might wait the rest of your life for. With AF15 we see a 9.0 or better come to market seemingly every year, maybe not a 9.6 but there’s a lot more books at the top that come out for sale.

Edited by wiparker824

12 hours ago, KCOComics said:

My thoughts are that Action Comics #1 is a coveted book among collectors no matter the grade, but at the same this is the first time a 9.6 AF #15 has come to auction in over 10 years. I can see someone paying a little more just for that reason alone as they may not get another opportunity. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

33 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

Ny thoughts are that Action Comics #1 is a coveted book among collectors no matter the grade, but at the same this is the first time a 9.6 AF #15 has come to auction in over 10 years. I can see someone paying a little more just for that reason alone as they may not get another opportunity. 

It will be fun to see where this one lands! 

38 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

but at the same this is the first time a 9.6 AF #15 has come to auction in over 10 years ever

Eric Roberts' AF15 9.6 was not sold at auction, it was a set listing (and more than likely prearranged)

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Eric Roberts' AF15 9.6 was not sold at auction, it was a set listing (and more than likely prearranged)

That's why I respect Heritage over comic connect.   They do it in public where there is evidence.  Not saying CC sales aren't legit but Heritage is the auction houses of auction houses when it comes to funny books.  There's a reason the big CC sales aren't done at one of their auctions.  Spiderman is ultimately the most popular character and this sale will prove it I suspect

3 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

While true it not the highest in the census …also remember there’s only 1 8.5 and 2 9.0’s, whereas with the AF15 there’s 4 9.6’s. So yeah 8.5 isn’t the top grade but there’s only 2 other copies as good or better than an 8.5 when there’s 3 other copies as good as the 9.6.

Also keeping in mind there’s only 2 Action 1’s in an 8.0 and only 1 in a 7.5 and 0 in a 7.0. Meaning the 8.5 is one of the top 3 copies and if you miss out on it and want a high grade copy above a 6.5 you are talking about waiting for one of the only 6 books known to be in existence to come for sale again, which depending on your age you might wait the rest of your life for. With AF15 we see a 9.0 or better come to market seemingly every year, maybe not a 9.6 but there’s a lot more books at the top that come out for sale.

The problem is most of serious collectors/ buyers  knows the MH copy of Action 1 has yet to be graded. So I think the AF 15 which is confirmed the highest graded unless a unknown copy comes out it is the best you can buy. A 9.0 AF15 is not gonna have any effect on the 9.6 market just like a new A1 7.0 would. Look for a world record price and after looking at the scan, this copy is every bit a 9.6...what a great book

21 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

If this copy manages to surpass an Action Comics #1 and become the most valuable comic of all time, I’d be astounded. I honestly don’t know what to think since both are big books in their own right, guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

Not sure why you're so astounded.

Superman is your grandfather's superhero, while Spidey speaks to the Boomers, Gen Xer's and Millennials.  

Grampa is gone, but the BGM's all have the funds to control of the market now