• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

706 posts in this topic

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not sure why you're so astounded.

Superman is your grandfather's superhero, while Spidey speaks to the Boomers, Gen Xer's and Millennials.  

Grampa is gone, but the BGM's all have the funds to control of the market now

I didn’t think Spider-Man’s first appearance had the chance to potentially exceed a first appearance of Superman. 

2 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

I didn’t think Spider-Man’s first appearance had the chance to potentially exceed a first appearance of Superman. 

I do think Spidey is a more popular character and I do believe this copy will set a record. 

But I'm also not disillusioned about the most valuable book in our hobby. It's still the 3 NM - copies (including the ungraded mile high copy)  of Action 1.  

I also think the highest graded Tec27 would outpace a 9.6 AF15 by a good bit.  

Edited by KCOComics

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I do think Spidey is a more popular character and I do believe this copy will set a record. 

But I'm also not disillusioned about the most valuable book in our hobby. It's still the 3 NM - copies (including the ungraded mile high copy)  of Action 1.  

I also think the highest graded Tec27 would outpace a 9.6 AF15 by a good bit.  

I 100% agree with that he’s a more popular character, but at the same time I’m also impressed with the fact that a CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15 can be up there in price with an Action #1. 

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

The problem is most of serious collectors/ buyers  knows the MH copy of Action 1 has yet to be graded. So I think the AF 15 which is confirmed the highest graded unless a unknown copy comes out it is the best you can buy. A 9.0 AF15 is not gonna have any effect on the 9.6 market just like a new A1 7.0 would. Look for a world record price and after looking at the scan, this copy is every bit a 9.6...what a great book

I don’t think that’s as much of a problem as you think it is. Even if there’s a copy of Action 1 out there that’s known that may one day come to be graded and may one day come to the market for sale… there’s more AF 15’s unearthed on a yearly basis in high grade than there are Action 1’s, just because you don’t know about them until they are found and graded doesn’t change that reality. So if that’s your concern you should be more concerned about a 9.6 with better page quality or a 9.8 AF15 coming to market than future Action 1’s just based on the numbers. In any case it’s really hard to believe there’s all these people waiting for a raw Action 1 in a private collection to be graded before they pull the trigger on buying any copy. 

13 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

I don’t think that’s as much of a problem as you think it is. Even if there’s a copy of Action 1 out there that’s known that may one day come to be graded and may one day come to the market for sale… there’s more AF 15’s unearthed on a yearly basis in high grade than there are Action 1’s, just because you don’t know about them until they are found and graded doesn’t change that reality. So if that’s your concern you should be more concerned about a 9.6 with better page quality or a 9.8 AF15 coming to market than future Action 1’s just based on the numbers. In any case it’s really hard to believe there’s all these people waiting for a raw Action 1 in a private collection to be graded before they pull the trigger on buying any copy. 

What I don’t understand is why the owner doesn’t get the Mile High Action 1 graded?

it’s not as though he can’t afford to do it

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

What I don’t understand is why the owner doesn’t get the Mile High Action 1 graded?

What I don't understand is why in the world would any comic book collector want to get their any of their raw books graded if they are not yet planning on selling them, but only to keep them in their own personal collection for years to come?  ???

Now, if you were a CGC label collector, than I would totally understand as that would then make a lot more sense to me.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

What I don't understand is why in the world would any comic book collector want to get their any of their raw books graded if they are not yet planning on selling them, but only to keep them in their own personal collection for years to come?  ???

Now, if you were a CGC label collector, than I would totally understand as that would then make a lot more sense to me.  (thumbsu

For me personally I get them graded because I often can only afford the lowest grade, and those often are easier to damage when handled due to a variety of factors. I had a nice early Doctor Fate issue I loved to have raw for the interior colors, but it was literally falling apart in my hands so I opted to have it graded (same goes for my TOS39, but those have so many reprints I can read those) - the rest of my GA collection ends up graded often because that is how I bought them :) 

But as for all my SA stuff, I don't grade them if I'm keeping them. I have become addicted to buying a handful of comicskin cases to swap between books when I want my display to match and look like all graded books though.

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

it’s not as though he can’t afford to do it

Anderson needs something to read while he's in the can.

On 7/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Signature verification?

On 7/19/2021 at 2:01 PM, jcjames said:

What I don't understand is why in the world would any comic book collector want to get their any of their raw books graded if they are not yet planning on selling them

Hmm.  Maybe, just maybe, so that they could sell them on short notice if the need should arise while also ensuring the highest sales price?   I'm thinking a sudden need for money or just to capitalize on an irresistable, possibly short-term market opportunity (sudden really nice uptick on book value), without having to wait to send/slab with CGC.   That just two reasons, which assumes one tends to get more bang for their book with a slabbed vs raw book, especially above low grades (a lil bird told me that's true).  Pay me, and I can give you more reasons.  (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude