• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 9.6 coming to auction
7 7

706 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I think it will go for between 3.5MM and 4MM.

Yes, it will beat the Action 1.

-J.

I'm kind of in this camp. There are 4 universal 9.6s and 0 - 9.8s. 

The last 9.4 sold on Heritage was over a year ago for nearly $800k (that I found with a quick Google search).  AF15 is flying, it is tied for the highest graded copy and there probably won't be many opportunities to own a nicer copy. 

I think it's going to top the AC1 and set a new record. $3.5M for me. 

With this book, there is always risk that it won't be the highest graded copy forever or even for long. But I really don't think that matters.  Spidey is big enough that the value won't take a hit even if people CPR 9.4s into 9.8s. 

19 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
19 hours ago, marmat said:

Link? 

scans of the books are in the registry...

Also available in Heritage's previews of the auctions, at the very end of the preview listings.

It's a really nice looking book, from the scan.

9 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

Ahh I like your thinking. The Marvel keys are on fire after all compared to DC, anything can happen with a 9.6 AF #15. 

When you’re talking about Marvel vs. DC and which one is hotter that may work when you’re comparing AF15 to Showcase 22 but it doesn’t work when comparing to an Action 1 and never has. The reason being Action 1 has 42 blue labels in the census and AF15 has 2,204. Even if demand is slightly more for Spidey than Superman the limited supply has always made Action 1 the winner.

50 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

When you’re talking about Marvel vs. DC and which one is hotter that may work when you’re comparing AF15 to Showcase 22 but it doesn’t work when comparing to an Action 1 and never has. The reason being Action 1 has 42 blue labels in the census and AF15 has 2,204. Even if demand is slightly more for Spidey than Superman the limited supply has always made Action 1 the winner.

That’s what I was originally saying. There’s just no way it’ll surpass an Action. #1 just for that reason.

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Is this a TRUE 9.6 OR is it one that's been pressed and pressed until the current grade?  

In looking at this amazing collection of mostly 9.8's online on the CGC register sets site, it appears ASM1 is a 9.4 which is the lowest graded book. Besides the 1-100 there is also a copy of ASM ANN 1 in 9.6. Look for every issue of this run to break a record.Given the perfection of this run, It is highly likely that this is not a upgrade. We are looking at a perfectionist collector here.

10 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm holding out for a 9.8 copy.

That would break any existing price record by a mile, if a copy exits...given the age of the book, I do not think one exists at the 9.8 level, if one did hit the market it would be easily 5 million, possibly 7 Million

46 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

That’s what I was originally saying. There’s just no way it’ll surpass an Action. #1 just for that reason.

Yep. I mean it just wouldn’t make sense. But all that said all it takes is 2 people with unlimited funds to bid a book like this to the stratosphere, so anything’s possible but I agree with @Crowzilla I’d be setting the over/under around 2.5M, which is still an insane amount but seems about right given the 9.4 price of AF15 last year.

27 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Yep. I mean it just wouldn’t make sense. But all that said all it takes is 2 people with unlimited funds to bid a book like this to the stratosphere, so anything’s possible but I agree with @Crowzilla I’d be setting the over/under around 2.5M, which is still an insane amount but seems about right given the 9.4 price of AF15 last year.

I agree with that price. It’ll be crazy to see what happens to the book on the internet bid and the live bid. 

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Is this a TRUE 9.6 OR is it one that's been pressed and pressed until the current grade?  

I don’t know what’s a TRUE 9.6 anymore after seeing this (link below) but sure let’s call it a TRUE 9.6 for argument’s sake…

14 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm holding out for a 9.8 copy.

:idea:  It really rather simple......Just buy this copy here and crack it out and then resub it back to CCS and CGC asking them to grade it according to the Promise Collection grading standards, and it'll easily come back as a CGC 9.8, if not even as a CGC 9.9 graded copy.  (thumbsu