• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome CGC to the world of pulps" CGC will be grading them.
10 10

203 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bookery said:

I have been told by more than one source that it's scheduled for 2022.  Whether that is next month, or next December, I don't know.  I know they need to build a database for their labels (I was asked to help, but unfortunately I don't have an index or art/authors for every issue, and it's not in a format they could use anyway).  The Galactic Central website has most of this, but again, whether it's in any kind of downloadable format useful to CGC  I can't say.  It will be a huge task, regardless. But then, comics would have been a much larger task (pulps don't have ongoing new releases or endless variants) and they did that.

Interestingly enough, I called CGC yesterday to find out when they will be grading pulps... I won't betray the employees name which I spoke to, but that employee put me on hold for a while, went and checked with multiple sources and came back on the line stating this "we do not have any plans to grade pulp magazines at this time". So I asked "does that mean NEVER, or not any time soon?" They replied "it's not in the plans right now for us". 

Maybe the buyout that happened post interview changed their plans? I have no idea... a secondary check of this information, or any response from somebody else with knowledge on this situation would be greatly appreciated. 

Let's figure this thing out. It's a big deal.

• Administrator
On 12/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, Joshua33 said:

From what I could gather, (and no finite dates were given, nor are they even close to known quantities) I would not expect pulps to see grading in the 2022 calendar year... that much is almost as certain as death and taxes.

As far as when?... I'd say 2 to 3 years from now is probably a safe assumption. I do believe it will happen. Just not anytime soon. :violin:

The information posted here regarding the current stage of our development for pulp certification is incorrect. While we don’t have a firm date established for the pulp launch, it will be in 2022, and hopefully sooner than later.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, CGC Mike said:

The information posted here regarding the current stage of our development for pulp certification is incorrect. While we don’t have a firm date established for the pulp launch, it will be in 2022, and hopefully sooner than later.

Just relaying what I was told.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:47 AM, Mmehdy said:

New President of CGC has confirmed in a interview that CGC will grade pulps and will still award the "blue" unrestored label to pulps which are trimmed and take that into account in the overall grading of the issue. As a  pulp collector of the 1970's on this is an earthquake development  our the pulp collecting world. Which quite recently has been stirred up by the Big 3 auction houses now getting into separate auctions with HA leading the way, CC following the leader with a current auction right now, and other will follow. CC or ComicConnect just announced today that will be attending  "pulpfest".

Watch for new collectors and investors to enter the pulp market now that CGC certified pulps as collectable and gradable.

Any thoughts?

Are you hiring proof readers? 

On 4/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Not until they get their TATs on comics down to less than 2 months.  :sumo:

You took the words right out of my mouth!  "We will have your encapsulated pulps back to you by 2024 or your money back" is my best guess as to their marketing slogan

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 4/6/2022 at 7:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Not until they get their TATs on comics down to less than 2 months.  :sumo:

I am not saying I know definitively, because I don't. There's a lot of chatter out there. No idea if any of it is true or not... but, I've heard pulp grading is a lot closer than we think. I've heard NOT this year from multiple employees at CGC, then Mike stated above, DEFINITELY this year, and a whole bunch in between from various collectors. If the chatter and collector rumors are correct, I would expect to see some sort of announcement in less than 2 months...