• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I don't doubt it.  They needed that book to make a splash.  They have no idea about comics.  I spoke to someone up there (I won't say who ) who asked me if I thought the writing on the front cover of the Larson copy was why Metropolis couldn't sell it :tonofbricks:

Yikes 😂 

On 8/15/2021 at 5:35 PM, G.A.tor said:

I heard the bat 1 had a guarantee payout regardless of hammer price. 

that would imply that the somebody, auction house or whoever is going to put a floor bid on that unless the auction house is gonna make up the difference....interesting?

On 8/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mmehdy said:

that would imply that the somebody, auction house or whoever is going to put a floor bid on that unless the auction house is gonna make up the difference....interesting?

If that's the case it would involve a scenario similar to what I mentioned early on, ...basically guaranteeing whatever outcome is required to help bolster the legitimacy of the auction.  

I'm not being cynical here, just rationalizing one obvious possibility given the profile of the books and trying to establish a "beachhead" for bragging rights as a new competitor on the major auction scene.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'm not sure the highest copies of either would hit that number. The T206 occupies a unique position in paper collectables.

I think the best copies of Action 1 and Tec 27 would go for at least $6.6m.  But certainly not the 5th highest graded copies of each.

It's always amazed me that of all sports cards, it's a Honus Wagner that is the most valuable.  In comic terms, it would be like Green Lantern #1 being the most valuable comic, ahead of Action 1 and Tec 27.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:39 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

If that's the case it would involve a scenario similar to what I mentioned early on, ...basically guaranteeing whatever outcome is required to help bolster the legitimacy of the auction.  

I'm not being cynical here, just rationalizing one obvious possibility given the profile of the books and trying to establish a "beachhead" for bragging rights as a new competitor on the major auction scene.

This is almost certainly true, as there is a lot for like a Vince McMahon signed t-shirt and fake billion dollar Bill framed with him on it, with a $5000 minimum bid already made on it.  I can’t conceive of anyone bidding on that.  It’s an absurd lot.  Now, the meet and greet with Undetaker, okay, cool.  The McMahon thing isn’t a meet and greet, and there’s no legit memorabilia. 

There’s a soccer player’s rookie card that I’ve never heard of with a $24k bid.  That I understand.  I don’t know everything about the card market, or every player in every sport.  Just as there are Golden age books that lay people would be baffled by regarding values.  But some things are just silly. 

On 8/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, tth2 said:

It's always amazed me that of all sports cards, it's a Honus Wagner that is the most valuable.  In comic terms, it would be like Green Lantern #1 being the most valuable comic, ahead of Action 1 and Tec 27.

It's obviously an inexact comparison, since the T206 cards for players like Cy Young and Ty Cobb also command huge values, as do the early Ruth and Gehrig cards. But it also shows that sports cards are a different beast from comics.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, bpc3qh said:

It's obviously an inexact comparison, since the T206 cards for players like Cy Young and Ty Cobb also command huge values, as do the early Ruth and Gehrig cards. But it also shows that sports cards are a different beast from comics.

Then there’s this...

B9D7935A-BA03-49EB-9154-1EA3CA4AF83A.jpeg

On 8/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, bpc3qh said:

Yeah, it’s not really a great comparison.  The Wagner is super rare due to the extremely low number being manufactured. And it’s much older than the cards that came later for a Ruth or Gehrig.  Now if Green Lantern’s 1st appearance had been in 1915, and there were only 10 known copies, perhaps.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:58 PM, eschnit said:

Then there’s this...

B9D7935A-BA03-49EB-9154-1EA3CA4AF83A.jpeg

That's a Gem Mint rookie for two of the five greatest basketball players of all time (Magic and Larry); it's akin to a 9.6/9.8 copy of FF1, if FF1 was also the first appearance of Spider-Man or the Hulk.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, bpc3qh said:

That's a Gem Mint rookie for two of the five greatest basketball players of all time (Magic and Larry); it's akin to a 9.6/9.8 copy of FF1, if FF1 was also the first appearance of Spider-Man or the Hulk.

I know, lol.  I collected cards in the mid 80s, and distinctly remember what cards were of consequence.  That is an awesome card.  If I had $5 billion, I’d happily throw a cool $850k at it.  And certainly it makes more sense than  ot of those refractor cards that are super expensive.  For me, it’s just a little odd because I don’t really remember that card well.  Like they’ve got the ‘86 Fleer Jordan in gem with a bid at like $225k, I’m sure it’ll go higher.  I remember that card of course, and the rarer ‘85 Star card.  I remember the Topps Mantle rookie, the ‘33 Goudey Ruth, the Opeechee Gretzky.  I just don’t remember that Bird/Magic card for some reason.  

On 8/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, eschnit said:
On 8/16/2021 at 5:54 PM, bpc3qh said:

Yeah, it’s not really a great comparison.  The Wagner is super rare due to the extremely low number being manufactured. And it’s much older than the cards that came later for a Ruth or Gehrig.  Now if Green Lantern’s 1st appearance had been in 1915, and there were only 10 known copies, perhaps.

Well, if this is true, then shouldn't books like New Fun 2 and New Comics 2 be worth a lot closer to both Action 1 and 'Tec 27 then?  hm

On 8/18/2021 at 2:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if this is true, then shouldn't books like New Fun 2 and New Comics 2 be worth a lot closer to both Action 1 and 'Tec 27 then?  hm

So, let me qualify my response.  I’m playing Devil’s Advocate to some degree. I also don’t know you, so you may be doing the same.  And I’m not the expert.  I don’t know what I don’t know.  But no, or not remotely to the same degree in my opinion.   

The situation surrounding the T206 Honus Wagner has been an intriguing story to card collectors in the hobby for generations throughout the hobby, and to some degree pop culture and baseball.  His protesting being on tobacco cards.  There being some minute number, maybe 50-100 ever produced, and much less than that that got out without being destroyed.  There are just enough of the other T206 cards, of say Cobb or Young to create high demand for the Wagner at the time.  Honus Wagner is underrated in the psyche of the average fan today.  He’s top 20 player all-time, maybe closer to top 10.  Baseball got big in the coming years, cards got popular again with Goudey gum in 1933-34.  By then the Wagner card was consequential and worth an astounding $50 at the time. (Gotta wonder how many were known to exist then).

Stars like Ruth and Gehrig had popular Goudey cards in the early 30s, for collectors wanting to look back, the Wagner card was already the stand out, and perhaps even an inspiration to start the hobby.  And of course it changed the hobby, as tobacco cards went by the way side, yielding to what would become a kids pastime.  Mantle rookie comes another 20 years later and you have yourself a full fledged hobby.  Then decades later the mythical Wagner card takes a life of its own with Wayne Gretzky snapping one up.

Compare this to comics.  Action 1 and Tec 27 are the medium changers.  They are the introduction to superheroes.  The biggest superhero at the time, Supes.  The biggest superhero today, albeit him perhaps “dark”, the Batman.  They have been the two biggest forever, and will likely to continue to be.  There are some odd amount out there.  Not enough, but just enough.  I’d have to look it up, but I believe around 100 graded, maybe a couple hundred more raw of each. The Golden Age of comics becomes Golden, in large part to these books.  Yeah, pre-code was awesome.  But what would it have been without these two?  Of course, comics evolve, code comes along, and we have what we have today.  A culture with comics running through it.  And 20-25 years is a long time, a whole generation.  The time from Action 1 to Fantastic Four 1.  Tge culture had a long time between Supes and Bat intro and Marvel.  Caps and Timely were around, but Lee/Kirby taking the hobby to another level wouldn’t come to later (I mean in size and scope, not quality).  

New Fun 2 and New Comics 2 may be rarer, but they didn’t introduce Captain America or Wonder Woman, the Joker, or even say the Destroyer.  There’s no lore, except for hardcore hobbyists.  Nic Cage scooped up Action 1 to Wayne Gretzky’s T206 Wagner, not New Fun 2.  Rarity matters, but demand matters more is my main thought.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, tth2 said:

I think the best copies of Action 1 and Tec 27 would go for at least $6.6m.  But certainly not the 5th highest graded copies of each.

Or maybe like Obadiah Oldbuck being #1 ^^

Beerbong was right all along!

Edited by Bronty

On 8/16/2021 at 10:13 AM, tth2 said:

On the other hand, I see that the 5th highest graded T206 just sold for $6.6m, which leaves our hobby in the dust.

Can't imagine the 5th highest graded Action 1 or Tec 27 going for $6.6m.

Sports are virtually omnipresent in our culture now. Back in the '80s, college football killed off some of my favorite Saturday morning kids' shows,  and it's only gotten worse since then. I enjoy participating in sports, but I have no interest in being a spectator.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, Mmehdy said:

anybody find the comics yet....the auction is  set to begin in like 3 days...or to start...who is in charge of this?

I called them today. Their customer service rep had to search on their side for any upcoming comic auction info.

From the sound of it, it looks like they were trying to get an auction in by the end of this month, but nothing definitive. The rep noted a date of August 30th, but was unsure if that was going to go down. The auction would open on the August 30th date for bidding online and end around mid-September (a date of September 17th was given)

The rep noted also that a combo auction of comics and video games is tentatively scheduled to start around November 1st lasting to mid-November.

So, it seems things are still TBD

Edited by DanCooper

On 8/18/2021 at 1:06 PM, DanCooper said:

I called them today. Their customer service rep had to search on their side for any upcoming comic auction info.

From the sound of it, it looks like they were trying to get an auction in by the end of this month, but nothing definitive. The rep noted a date of August 30th, but was unsure if that was going to go down. The auction would open on the August 30th date for bidding online and end around mid-September (a date of September 17th was given)

The rep noted also that a combo auction of comics and video games is tentatively scheduled to start around November 1st lasting to mid-November.

So, it seems things are still TBD

I reached out and they told me Aug 23 :tonofbricks:

Edited by Chicago Boy