• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Thanks for letting us know your "young".  Actually with the above response we kind of figured that out n our own.  When's the next auction and what are you able to share in regards to an advanced look ?

The next auction will be mid November. There will be a preview the day before the auction opens. 

- Dom 

On 9/27/2021 at 8:49 AM, domuhnator said:

The next auction will be mid November. There will be a preview the day before the auction opens. 

- Dom 

so we will have no idea what is coming up on the comic book auction until 24 hours before the auction opens?....HA does not nor CC or CL wait until 24 hours, is there a specific reason why you are waiting till a day before?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 9/27/2021 at 12:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

so we will have no idea what is coming up on the comic book auction until 24 hours before the auction opens?....HA does not nor CC or CL wait until 24 hours, is there a specific reason why you are waiting till a day before?

Here's a  couple guesses .   Goldin doesn't know what it is doing when it comics books...... or most likely they have no books currently to auction because no one in their right mind would give them a book to hock without a back room deal this early in the ball game 

Dom seems fine... being upfront and cheerful.  Goldin has catching up to do... it won't be easy. But we all know from experience that we will buy the books wherever they are, so they know what they need to do.  

Hey Dom, convince them to start previewing books as they are consigned starting say a month in advance. it build awareness and excitement... gets the work out to pay attention to you.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, Bronty said:

I think Dom is doing just fine.   IMO this crowd isn’t always welcoming to people in Dom’s position (and then we wonder why they don’t hang out here!).

Goldin is a market leader in sports cards, and is attempting to become one in comics. I think it's to everyone's benefit to hold Dom's, and Goldin's, feet to the fire in these early days.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:39 PM, bpc3qh said:

Goldin is a market leader in sports cards, and is attempting to become one in comics. I think it's to everyone's benefit to hold Dom's, and Goldin's, feet to the fire in these early days.

It will take care of itself.    Either they do well, or they don't. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Here's a  couple guesses .   Goldin doesn't know what it is doing when it comics books...... or most likely they have no books currently to auction because no one in their right mind would give them a book to hock without a back room deal this early in the ball game 

Its due to platform limitations, Nothing else.  

On 9/27/2021 at 1:17 PM, Mmehdy said:

On 9/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, Aman619 said:

Dom seems fine... being upfront and cheerful.  Goldin has catching up to do... it won't be easy. But we all know from experience that we will buy the books wherever they are, so they know what they need to do.  

Hey Dom, convince them to start previewing books as they are consigned starting say a month in advance. it build awareness and excitement... gets the work out to pay attention to you.

Thanks, It is planned. Believe me I like the long previews, Im on the same side as you. Its just limiting on our current platform. But that will change by the end of the year when we migrate. 

On 9/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, domuhnator said:

Its due to platform limitations, Nothing else.  

Thanks, It is planned. Believe me I like the long previews, Im on the same side as you. Its just limiting on our current platform. But that will change by the end of the year when we migrate. 

Not sure how platform limitations keep you from previewing comic books a month early as opposed to the day before ?  That makes as much sense to me as Ken Goldin having a comb with all its teeth.........

On 9/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Not sure how platform limitations keep you from previewing comic books a month early as opposed to the day before ?  That makes as much sense to me as Ken Goldin having a comb with all its teeth.........

Our current platform only lets us have one auction up at a time. It doesn't even let us have multiple auctions even if one is just a preview. But as I said this will change later this year. 

On 9/28/2021 at 1:39 AM, bpc3qh said:

You can do that without being a total and utter doosch.

Edited by tth2
added "total and utter"

On 9/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, domuhnator said:

Our current platform only lets us have one auction up at a time. It doesn't even let us have multiple auctions even if one is just a preview. But as I said this will change later this year. 

Do you have any sense for how big the next auction is going to be, in terms of total books? The first auction seemed deliberately small and curated, so I'm curious if the second one will be more expansive (or if you're gonna keep it small until the new platform is up and running).

On 9/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Thanks for letting us know your "young".  Actually with the above response we kind of figured that out n our own.  When's the next auction and what are you able to share in regards to an advanced look ?

Well, wasn't Fishler already selling key GA books to some of his teachers and also to others when he was still in high school?  (thumbsu

On 9/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, bpc3qh said:

Do you have any sense for how big the next auction is going to be, in terms of total books? The first auction seemed deliberately small and curated, so I'm curious if the second one will be more expansive (or if you're gonna keep it small until the new platform is up and running).

From a number of books it will be much bigger. But for this next auction the overall $ amount per lot will be much lower. We want people to be able to get in at all levels from $1000 to $1000000. 

On 9/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, wasn't Fishler already selling key GA books to some of his teachers and also to others when he was still in high school?  (thumbsu

I can't claim to have sold books in high school. But I was close!

On 9/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, domuhnator said:

From a number of books it will be much bigger. But for this next auction the overall $ amount per lot will be much lower. We want people to be able to get in at all levels from $1000 to $1000000. 

I can't claim to have sold books in high school. But I was close!

Thanks. Since Goldin can't get the preview up on its website, has it considered sending something out via email to past bidders and/or interested parties with a list of books with photos, perhaps?

On 9/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, bpc3qh said:

Thanks. Since Goldin can't get the preview up on its website, has it considered sending something out via email to past bidders and/or interested parties with a list of books with photos, perhaps?

We have not done so in the past. Most likely that wont change for this auction. But we are evolving and listening to feedback. Im all for giving people a heads up. But until we're on our new platform our auction dates and deadlines are more going to be more fluid then most other auction houses. So management might see it as more trouble than its worth sending out an email blast with information and lots that are subject to change. Also by not doing a long preview, it also allows us to take items right up to the day before auction start. 

As I said though I expect pretty much all that to change later this year. But for right now thats how it is. 

Edited by domuhnator
Spelling