• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bird said:
On 12/9/2021 at 1:35 PM, Dark Knight said:

I like the larger bidding increment, but not a fan of the 30 minute extended bidding each time a new bid is placed. Would prefer if it were cut down to like 10 minutes, something more reasonable so I don't have to wait in front of the computer long. Just my opinion :flamed:

I just chose not to wait, placed a bunch of bids and then closed the window. Took home one lot. (shrug)

That's fine too, but I'm a last minute bidder especially if I'm interested in multiple lots where I can manage my bids more strategically. What do I mean by that? Well basically if say I had my max on an earlier lot and lose out on it, then maybe I can up my bidding for the next one since I have more money to spend now or vise versa.

Sometimes in the heat of bidding, I tend to go an increment or two above my max if I lost out on all the rest and really wanted to win or if I really wanted that book. I want to be where the action is happening.

I was interested in one of the books, but the resolution of the picture was too poor for me to be able to read the label so that I could try to get the graders' notes. The book sold for less than what I would have paid if there had been good pictures of the front and back covers and if I could have gotten graders' notes (assuming none of those things showed any significant issues).

On 12/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I was interested in one of the books, but the resolution of the picture was too poor for me to be able to read the label so that I could try to get the graders' notes. The book sold for less than what I would have paid if there had been good pictures of the front and back covers and if I could have gotten graders' notes (assuming none of those things showed any significant issues).

yes, grades would have helped 

words like good were used but I don't think it meant Good as photos suggested better

On 12/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dark Knight said:

That's fine too, but I'm a last minute bidder especially if I'm interested in multiple lots where I can manage my bids more strategically.

Yes I would prefer that as well but I am the early to bed type and nothing was MUST HAVE for me.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Kathoom said:

Real auction houses like ComicConnect and MyComicShop only have 3 minute extensions (thumbsu

Personally I find this the most annoying format of all, and subsequently don't bid often on either.  The format hardly matters anyway, you can always just put in your max bid whatever it may be at any point on any of these sites, and just go do something else.  I usually just put in my max bid the morning of, and I've won plenty for far less than that max bid on all of the major sites.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dark Knight said:

That's fine too, but I'm a last minute bidder especially if I'm interested in multiple lots where I can manage my bids more strategically. What do I mean by that? Well basically if say I had my max on an earlier lot and lose out on it, then maybe I can up my bidding for the next one since I have more money to spend now or vise versa.

Sometimes in the heat of bidding, I tend to go an increment or two above my max if I lost out on all the rest and really wanted to win or if I really wanted that book. I want to be where the action is happening.

The whole 1000+ lot auction was pretty much wrapped up in under 2 hours. I really don't think any of the other auction houses would have closed that quickly. Maybe CC but I doubt it. Its really not a bad system and auctions rarely last longer then this one unless its 1-2 lots that people are going for. But it a really small percentage of lots.  

On 12/10/2021 at 4:58 PM, Bird said:

yes, grades would have helped 

words like good were used but I don't think it meant Good as photos suggested better

Yes I would prefer that as well but I am the early to bed type and nothing was MUST HAVE for me.

We're totally revamping how raw books are going to be presented. This was an anomaly and is something I want to change. Picture quality will improve as well. We were having some back end issues with our regular large high res photos and had to resize most of them.  

On 12/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, domuhnator said:
On 12/10/2021 at 8:05 AM, Dark Knight said:

The whole 1000+ lot auction was pretty much wrapped up in under 2 hours. I really don't think any of the other auction houses would have closed that quickly. Maybe CC but I doubt it. Its really not a bad system and auctions rarely last longer then this one unless its 1-2 lots that people are going for. But it a really small percentage of lots. 

Yeah, that is pretty quick for a 1000+ lot auction.  I think one of the main reasons behind that is how bidders who did not bid on that lot at all over the course of the auction were not permitted to bid during the extended time.  The pool of bidders is thus much smaller so fewer bids would be made.  I'm not sure if that is a great idea for an auction house to only limit the bidding to those who actually placed bids previously, but it is rather unique.  From my perspective, it's great for buyers and bad for consignors.  

On 12/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'm not sure if that is a great idea for an auction house to only limit the bidding to those who actually placed bids previously, but it is rather unique.  From my perspective, it's great for buyers and bad for consignors.  

I would also tend to agree with you here and as a result, would not even consider ever consigning any of my books to an auction house that limits bidding in this format.  :p

Although it probably works for Goldin as their bidders are probably used to it, I believe the main MO for the large majority of comic book bidders is to watch from the sidelines and at most to place some tracking bids before coming in at the end to place their serious money bids depending upon where the bids are at that point in the auction.  (thumbsu

On 12/11/2021 at 11:08 PM, lou_fine said:

I would also tend to agree with you here and as a result, would not even consider ever consigning any of my books to an auction house that limits bidding in this format.  :p

Although it probably works for Goldin as their bidders are probably used to it, I believe the main MO for the large majority of comic book bidders is to watch from the sidelines and at most to place some tracking bids before coming in at the end to place their serious money bids depending upon where the bids are at that point in the auction.  (thumbsu

Also, last minute bids happen because of a change of mind thing from the bidder.   Certainly happened to me when I realized after extensive thinking that I really want this book in my collection and hopefully when I bid, I can also win.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:45 AM, Chicago Boy said:

They came in like a lion and went out. like a lamb.  Need to pull some more tricks out to get some publicity worthy books for auction #3

for sure if they want to be a major player, then need to add more Key SA/GA books. I agree on auction 2 being weak compared to #1

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, Chicago Boy said:

They came in like a lion and went out. like a lamb.  Need to pull some more tricks out to get some publicity worthy books for auction #3

On 12/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, Mmehdy said:

for sure if they want to be a major player, then need to add more Key SA/GA books. I agree on auction 2 being weak compared to #1

This auction having lower value was 100% intentional. We have all the big books going in our January auction, which is another Elite auction like the first and will have some huge books.  

We wanted to keep the entry point low for this one. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, Dark Knight said:

Also, last minute bids happen because of a change of mind thing from the bidder.   Certainly happened to me when I realized after extensive thinking that I really want this book in my collection and hopefully when I bid, I can also win.

Exactly!

On 12/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, DainBramaged said:

It's a terrible idea (thumbsu

Exactly

On 12/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, domuhnator said:

This auction having lower value was 100% intentional. We have all the big books going in our January auction, which is another Elite auction like the first and will have some huge books.  

We wanted to keep the entry point low for this one. 

When in January is the auction and when will the preview come out ?

On 12/11/2021 at 9:29 AM, domuhnator said:

We're totally revamping how raw books are going to be presented. This was an anomaly and is something I want to change. Picture quality will improve as well. We were having some back end issues with our regular large high res photos and had to resize most of them.  

I received my items from the recent Goldin auction today. Disappointed to find out that the raw Famous Funnies 212 in this lot (https://goldin.co/item/1940-50-s-assorted-comic-book-collection-16-including-jackie-gleason-hd4t27) has glue up and down the spine holding it together. These are the sorts of things that should be disclosed in raw book listings.