• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2022 at 8:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There could be some overlap, but most collectors of sports cards have no interest whatsoever in comics, just like most comic collectors have no interest whatsoever in sports cards. Using the blanket label "paper collectibles" is very disingenuous. Goldin might attract some buyers, but I don't think that many of their sports card buyers will be bidding on comics. They're more likely to pull market share away from the other comic book auction venues.

You are significantly underestimating the influence outsiders have on the hobby. Here is a sports card investor that dipped his toe into the world of graded videogames, who grossly overpaid for a sealed copy of Sonic the Hedgehog by several hundreds of thousands of dollars by somehow missing the condition of the wrap on that copy. That sale was completed though and now exists as a data point when citing comps forever. The people who deal in games regularly will understand that transaction is an outlier, but not all buyers with cash to burn are in the same position.     

On 3/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, darkstar said:

You are significantly underestimating the influence outsiders have on the hobby. Here is a sports card investor that dipped his toe into the world of graded videogames, who grossly overpaid for a sealed copy of Sonic the Hedgehog by several hundreds of thousands of dollars by somehow missing the condition of the wrap on that copy. That sale was completed though and now exists as a data point when citing comps forever. The people who deal in games regularly will understand that transaction is an outlier, but not all buyers with cash to burn are in the same position.     

Those outsiders create ephemeral price bubbles. The hobby will eventually correct for those—once the outsiders realize that there's more downside than upside and move on. Admittedly, it could take years for the hobby to self-correct.

Edited by jimbo_7071

never understood the desire for NFT's nor do I want to. I have  adult children who have no problem with dropping hundreds to low thousands for non tangible assets, but then again I'm an early 50's old fart I guess. What a weirdass world we live in. And dont get me started on real estate values in the metaverse :idea:

On 3/16/2022 at 1:40 PM, batman_fan said:

How did it do?

Several years ago I had sold a raw for $700. At the same time I sold a Kevin Spacey for $800.  A Spacey sold last year for 2k+ ( The Spacey is harder to find and worth more)

Winning bid was $375 with a buyer's premium putting it at $450.

All in all not bad. I had hoped for more, but at the same time I was very happy with their service.  It was very easy filling out the forms. I recieved great communication so far (will report back when it has all been finalized)  their fee was attractive.  

Hey all! update for you guys. As mentioned above we will have a 6.5 blue Tec 27 in our may 4th elite auction. This auction is going to be massive is terms of quality. We have some really really nice books lined up that have not sold publicly in quite some time. 

We also have some fun books ending tonight at 10PM eastern! Nothing crazy but a few cool GA books. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.46.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.46.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.46.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.47.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.48.28 PM.png

I'm sure people noticed this, but I didn't notice until just now. You watch all these auctions, monthly and quarterly with Heritage, Comicconect and Comiclink, and we're talking thousands of books being sold per auction. I just looked at the Goldin auction and just 29 books being sold :whatthe:. I mean unless I'm missing something, but just 29 books that include the Tec #27 6.5, Batman #1 4.0, Superman #1 2.0, an AF #15 8.0, as well as some other biggies. I mean they're mixed in with an ASM #316 9.8 and ASM #101 7.5. So it's not like this is some special auction where only 29 $100K and up books were allowed in. I just thought that was interesting, a little different than what we're used to seeing. It's obviously not that they only allotted a certain amount I assume, but I guess just early on in their auction business and not getting many submissions yet. But boy oh boy, they maximized the impressive level of books in the 29 they got!

Tec 27 is at $1.2 mil with 3 days left, that includes a 20% buyers premium.

https://goldin.co/buy/?Category=Comics&page=1&sort=Highest_Bids&number_of_lots=240

On 5/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Why is there extended bidding on the top 4 books if no one has bid in hours ?  

Seems like it’s just the format the auction company chose. I mean can’t fault them for choosing a different style I guess. Looks like it worked because the Tec 27 at least got another bid or two in.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:03 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Why is there extended bidding on the top 4 books if no one has bid in hours ?  

On 5/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Seems like it’s just the format the auction company chose. I mean can’t fault them for choosing a different style I guess. Looks like it worked because the Tec 27 at least got another bid or two in.

That is their format.

Initially there is an auction window. Once it closes there is an extended bidding session that is only open to anyone who has bid during that first period. 

Now In that overtime is where I get a little unclear, but the way I currently understand it to be is that each bid in overtime extends whatever the OT clock is at by "XX" amount of time . 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah got the same. Get ready for the next 2 mil and up sale.

656E3EC4-9205-45DA-A1C0-358334056BAD.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7be6fb8609a9fdad8fe70077f223c344.png

Isn't it Goldin's copy that was auctioned off?

Edited by Gotham Kid