• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2021 at 6:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Dom, I have to say your company picked the right guy to address the Boards.  I'm impressed by how you've managed to stay calm, polite and gracious under the barrage of often hostile comments and inquiries.  I hope you folks can iron out the wrinkles and become competitive.  It never hurts to have another auction house to consider. 

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate that. Im working very very hard to make the goldin comic department a force to be reckoned with. Given some time I have no Doubt we will have a very very competitive product for you all.  

On 12/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, Chicago Boy said:

He took a beating early on with some of his responses actually but learned quickly on how to win this tough crowd over. If January truly has the elite books he says they have (and were sandbagging on purpose) I'll find him to be a man of his word as well :highfive:

Haha Im no stranger to the boards. But im not going anywhere. 

I wouldn't say sandbagging. We have different kinds of auctions. Not all of them are going to elite level auctions. This past one was not. The next one will be! 

The goal was to launch late January. But our sports January sports auction looks like its get extended a few days. So we're looking at early February as a probable start for bidding. 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, domuhnator said:

The goal was to launch late January. But our sports January sports auction looks like its get extended a few days. So we're looking at early February as a probable start for bidding. 

What about the preview? My understanding was that the new website meant we'd be able to see previews even while other auctions were running.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, bpc3qh said:

What about the preview? My understanding was that the new website meant we'd be able to see previews even while other auctions were running.

Yes that is the case. Im not sure how long this preview will be or when it will start. But there will be a preview. As I said before though I don't think were every going to run the multi month previews like HA does. We are still working out the exact preview details for this auction. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:44 AM, domuhnator said:

Yes that is the case. Im not sure how long this preview will be or when it will start. But there will be a preview. As I said before though I don't think were every going to run the multi month previews like HA does. We are still working out the exact preview details for this auction. 

So there are going to be auctions where the first time we know the books is when the auction starts?

On 1/3/2022 at 11:53 AM, bpc3qh said:

So there are going to be auctions where the first time we know the books is when the auction starts?

There is always a 24 hour preview as a minimum. Last auction we did one week. I would like to stick with the week long preview but there a lot more that goes into it then me just saying to our auction manager "hey lets do a week long preview". But moving forward as I have said before I am working towards that goal but it might not happen this time around for our Jan/Feb Elite auction.  

On 1/3/2022 at 12:58 PM, SuperMega said:

Your first hurdle is the grading terminology. You can't grade raw comics using card terminology, it erodes confidence. It makes me think that you don't have a comics professional on staff, like you guys are just winging it. Am I incorrect?

I have answered and apologized for this a few times already. Moving forward things will be different. On top of that we are trying to get away from ungraded items. I am the comics professional of staff. So if you see anything incorrect feel free to reach out. Im sure theres going to be mistakes but trust me when I say I am working as hard as I can to improve as much as I can. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:05 PM, tth2 said:

I personally wouldn't mind if we put more emphasis on centering like the sports card graders do. 

I wouldn't mind either.   Certainly pre-cgc, it used to mean something.   

One issue comes to mind however.    GIven "face job" spine realignments being an issue already, if centering was taken into account, wouldn't we just see more of that?     Most off center books would just get potentialized into being perfectly centered, no?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, Bronty said:

I wouldn't mind either.   Certainly pre-cgc, it used to mean something.   

One issue comes to mind however.    GIven "face job" spine realignments being an issue already, if centering was taken into account, wouldn't we just see more of that?     Most off center books would just get potentialized into being perfectly centered, no?

You probably see it reflected in prices if not grades. A slight mis-wrap doesn't bother me, but a crooked cut does. I have passed on quite a few books on my want list because they weren't cut squarely enough. This one bugs me a bit. I don't think I have any others that are that bad, or if I do, the cover design doesn't make it so apparent.

2302201401201.jpg

On 2/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, mstrange said:

What happened to the Jan/Feb comic auction??  Have yet to see any preview for it.

I myself assume that when the current auctions ends soon then the new one will be up (shrug)

On 2/7/2022 at 5:48 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Thought the same thing. I also heard that Goldin did NOT buy the Rocket copy Action 1 (as reported here) but  actually just bid for the new owner on the deal.  Their last auction had no sizzle. They were great out of the gate and now not even a Feb auction that we can count on. I had a feeling there was no Feb auction once they reneged on January 

And again... this is when I think things are getting just stupid.   

Goldin Auctions 

$474,000 for a player that has yet to play a single game. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/autographed-card-of-yankees-prospect-jasson-dominguez-sells-for-474k-at-auction/

image.thumb.png.b5115a7ad90f85db0debe8918c33ee7b.png