• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

um.  that was what I was saying...  one and done.  Even though Mound City kept trying, not realizing the only reason they were on the map was the collection they found -- and couldnt replicate.

Edited by Aman619
Couldn’t —not “count”— typo fix

On 8/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, Aman619 said:

um.  that was what I was saying...  one and done.  Even though Mound City kept trying, not realizing the only reason they were on the map was the collection they found -- and count replicate.

Anyone can sell off a great collection.  What's hard is continuing to source good books and maintaining good quality auctions (or listings).  

Especially if you're coming from outside the hobby.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, Mmehdy said:

I thought they said August for this auction,  I have not heard anything other than the promo video>>>? what is going on?

It's August 26 I believe.   All consignments have to be in by the 10th  They are not doing a good job of promoting this auction IMO.especially to comic book people.   No way those books don't have a some sort of deal attached to them for them to use them (especially their big 3) .  They are trying to do too much now IMO.  Comics. Video games. Entertainment memorabilia. Stay in your lane or roll it out well

On 8/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chicago Boy said:

It's August 26 I believe. They are trying to do too much now IMO.  Comics. Video games. Entertainment memorabilia. Stay in your lane or roll it out well

Up to $50 million in cash advances to consignors in the Goldin August 2021 comic and video game auction.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, G.A.tor said:

I heard the bat 1 had a guarantee payout regardless of hammer price. 

I don't doubt it.  They needed that book to make a splash.  They have no idea about comics.  I spoke to someone up there (I won't say who ) who asked me if I thought the writing on the front cover of the Larson copy was why Metropolis couldn't sell it :tonofbricks:

On 8/15/2021 at 7:07 PM, tth2 said:

Is it just my inferior search skills, or are there really no references to comic books on their website?

I couldn't;t find any besides that they are taking consignments on comics plus a lot of other stuff these days 

On 8/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, tth2 said:

Is it just my inferior search skills, or are there really no references to comic books on their website?

You mean a high end collector, like yourself, is not putting in that high $$$ tracking bid, starting tomorrow, on that LeBron Bazooka Comics card?

image.png.4e74d16ec34b54ca5e2582f45f23c458.png

On 8/15/2021 at 6:35 PM, G.A.tor said:

I heard the bat 1 had a guarantee payout regardless of hammer price. 

I’d be surprised if they didn’t buy the books outright and then put them in the suction as a loss leader for publicity.

I guess for my take, why would you, as a knowledgeable collector, go with a new suction house when Heritage and CLink are known quantities with proven results?

lol…I meant to type auction but got suction and decided to leave it that way.  Freudian.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, cheetah said:

I’d be surprised if they didn’t buy the books outright and then put them in the suction as a loss leader for publicity.

They didn’t 

On 8/16/2021 at 11:49 AM, Aman619 said:
On 8/16/2021 at 8:07 AM, tth2 said:

I did the same earlier today!  Where are the comics?

I did a bit of looking around since I was on their site.  

My conclusion was that sports cards are lame.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:54 PM, tth2 said:

My conclusion was that sports cards are lame.

On the other hand, I see that the 5th highest graded T206 just sold for $6.6m, which leaves our hobby in the dust.

Can't imagine the 5th highest graded Action 1 or Tec 27 going for $6.6m.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:13 AM, tth2 said:

On the other hand, I see that the 5th highest graded T206 just sold for $6.6m, which leaves our hobby in the dust.

Can't imagine the 5th highest graded Action 1 or Tec 27 going for $6.6m.

I'm not sure the highest copies of either would hit that number. The T206 occupies a unique position in paper collectables.

Edited by bpc3qh