• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, bpc3qh said:

Only 23 comics included in this first offering; they're good comics, but this is...underwhelming to say the least.

And there are minimum bids on every big book (possibly all 23 ?)  How is that supposed to differentiate yourself from the competition ?  Maybe because it's their first auction 

On 8/30/2021 at 10:06 PM, Chicago Boy said:

And there are minimum bids on every big book (possibly all 23 ?)  How is that supposed to differentiate yourself from the competition ?  Maybe because it's their first auction 

$1k minimum bid on the TMNT #4 9.2 sig series is very optimistic. 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:05 AM, Mutie Fan said:

$1k minimum bid on the TMNT #4 9.2 sig series is very optimistic. 

Does it have a huge Kevin Eastman sketch that spans the entire cover front and back?

:banana:

I counted 15 or 16 books in total.  Most of them are very strong books.  But still, a lot more video games than books.  As for Golden Age, I think there were two, an 8.0 Batman #1 and a 1.0 Superman #1.  Anyone that wins the Supes, props for winning a super grail.  Most of us would love to have a Supes #1.  That said, that cover 😳.  I would expect that’s a 0.5, but I’m not a grading expert.  Regardless, I think they likely have an idea of what they’re doing.  Have had great success in other endeavors.  Can potentially build off of this, or not, either way, not hurt their brand. I think all of the books save two any consign or, if there is one, could rest assured the values are solid enough to where they’ll get what they’re worth.  The 2 stars, the Bats and AF, will be interesting to see. 

Looks like the Batman 1 8.0 will break $1 mil, and that shouldn’t be a surprise lol. Seems like this auction house is mimicking Heritage as far as fees go. If I saw correctly, there’s a 20% buyers premium. Not sure what if any fee there is for selling. Low grade Supes 1 as well in the same auction. Has anyone here put anything up for sale yet with Golden? Curious how it went.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Looks like the Batman 1 8.0 will break $1 mil, and that shouldn’t be a surprise lol. Seems like this auction house is mimicking Heritage as far as fees go. If I saw correctly, there’s a 20% buyers premium. Not sure what if any fee there is for selling. Low grade Supes 1 as well in the same auction. Has anyone here put anything up for sale yet with Golden? Curious how it went.

I wouldn't  touch Goldin with a 10 foot poll for comics or video games or pop culture memorabilia at this stage in the game

On 9/14/2021 at 9:30 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I wouldn't  touch Goldin with a 10 foot poll for comics or video games or pop culture memorabilia at this stage in the game

Oh ok, why’s that?

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh ok, why’s that?

In speaking with them they really don't understand those hobbies it seems to me.  Maybe over time they will but it's too early to send anything to them without data.  Also, Im not sure the eyes that follow Goldin are interested in comics (or investing in them). 

On 9/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, Chicago Boy said:

In speaking with them they really don't understand those hobbies it seems to me.  Maybe over time they will but it's too early to send anything to them without data.  Also, Im not sure the eyes that follow Goldin are interested in comics (or investing in them). 

Gotcha, good to know.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:54 PM, Chicago Boy said:

that is a understandable and solid reason.

Sounds great,  thanx for the info.  A small nit perhaps, but having collected since 2013, you never discovered the CGC boards til now?  And knew the Golden Age and other sections contain many high end collectors? Guess our reach here isn’t as wide as we like to think!

On 9/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, Aman619 said:

Sounds great,  thanx for the info.  A small nit perhaps, but having collected since 2013, you never discovered the CGC boards til now?  And knew the Golden Age and other sections contain many high end collectors? Guess our reach here isn’t as wide as we like to think!

Oh no, I have been on the boards since 2015 and lurking long before that. At one point I was a fairly active member. This is my original account and my profile pic is my old Silver Streak 6. Although I will admit my activity on the boards recently has been almost none.

As I said it before missing this thread was an oversight on my part. I Should have checked the Golden age thread as soon as I started. I should have known you guys would have had a thread on the auction. So I apologize leaving you guys in the dark for so long. 

- Dom

On 9/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Looks like the Batman 1 8.0 will break $1 mil, and that shouldn’t be a surprise lol.

Well, looks like it already did as it's now sitting at $1.01M dollars with a total of 13 bids to date so far.  (thumbsu

On 9/17/2021 at 12:34 PM, domuhnator said:

We have a 20% BP like heritage. On comics we run a -10% rate. Meaning if a book hammers for $1000 we charge the buyer $1200 and you get $1100.

Hey Dom;

Unlike Heritage which clearly specifies the hammer price as opposed to the price including the 20% BP, can you confirm that the amount of $1,010,000.00 that we are currently seeing (for now that is) is the so-called hammer price with a further 20% to be added on top in order for us to get to the final result?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like it already did as it's now sitting at $1.01M dollars with a total of 13 bids to date so far.  (thumbsu

Hey Dom;

Unlike Heritage which clearly specifies the hammer price as opposed to the price including the 20% BP, can you confirm that the amount of $1,010,000.00 that we are currently seeing (for now that is) is the so-called hammer price with a further 20% to be added on top in order for us to get to the final result?  ???

I would second that info request..thank you

The 20% is on top.   I asked the same question and received confirmation in a Facebook group from another Goldin rep.  So the Batman 1 is really 1.2m atm, etc.    The other rep (Art) advised  that when you go to enter a bid, there is an explicit warning to this effect.    So, no bidder should be confused about that.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:21 PM, domuhnator said:

Oh no, I have been on the boards since 2015 and lurking long before that. At one point I was a fairly active member. This is my original account and my profile pic is my old Silver Streak 6. Although I will admit my activity on the boards recently has been almost none.

As I said it before missing this thread was an oversight on my part. I Should have checked the Golden age thread as soon as I started. I should have known you guys would have had a thread on the auction. So I apologize leaving you guys in the dark for so long. 

- Dom

Why should we be motivated to work with Goldin when someone in your position doesn't think to check this board, or even do a forum-wide search for "Goldin"? The attention to detail seems lacking, when this is supposed to be such a big deal.