Society of Illustrators (NYC) OA Gallery Tour
0

19 posts in this topic

Hey folks!

Dan Pottick and I enjoyed a private viewing of the Society's new OA Gallery Exhibit (now open through Oct 23rd) and thought to share our video here on the Boards.  The video tour shows 120+ OA pieces on two gallery floors, a chat with the Collections Manager and commentary on a few select pieces which caught our eye.  All of the pieces are consigned by hobby collectors/dealers and are priced for sale-- note: the Society had only posted prices on ~30% of the pieces as of Wed but should be completed by next week.  Anyway, any inquiries should be directed to curator Rob Pistella at (804) 363-1365.  Enjoy!

Link to YouTube video:  Video Tour

1753544753_SOIOAGalleryPoster2.thumb.jpg.996af21ea2d8255fbf2ce42f255c1d6d.jpg

 

Edited by GreatEscape
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the gallery is up and prices listed for every available piece

I priced some items in my head myself (this should be about x) before scrolling and looking at the actual price and was surprised that I hit a few dead on. But I was at 1/3rd listed prices on a few.

a ton of great art

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 4:15 PM, Bird said:

the gallery is up and prices listed for every available piece

I priced some items in my head myself (this should be about x) before scrolling and looking at the actual price and was surprised that I hit a few dead on. But I was at 1/3rd listed prices on a few.

a ton of great art

 

Is there a link to view the art and prices?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 5:12 PM, GreatEscape said:

All of the pieces are consigned by hobby collectors/dealers and are priced for sale--

So many familiar works that haven't sold for years elsewhere.

That's what happens when one's belief in such things doesn't line up with reality.

That's also the problem with doing trade in unique items: hobby memory, it's so hard to hide the sausage ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 6:44 PM, vodou said:

So many familiar works that haven't sold for years elsewhere.

That's what happens when one's belief in such things doesn't line up with reality.

That's also the problem with doing trade in unique items: hobby memory, it's so hard to hide the sausage ;)

Agreed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes definitely a nice price range of stuff… but not much in the way of provenance on the pieces if you didn’t know better.  That Neal Adams Hulk “top corner” piece that says “1980’s Hulk” and shows it as being from issue #316 makes it look like that was the corner art from that era… when it very much is not.  The price alone should give that way, but even so, that’s just one thing that caught my eye.

The second was, and I’ll admit I’m woefully ill informed on this particular type of OA…. The Bruce Tim BTAS cel? I thought those go for $100-$800 depending on how good an image, whether they’re signed, etc.  This is a great Batman shot but not signed… but I don’t recall ever seeing one sell for $1,400.  Am I missing something?

All that being said.. very much looking forward to checking it out tomorrow… there are a few pieces I am interested in looking at more closely and seeing if they beg me to take them home. 😄

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 2:24 AM, fmaz said:

Yes definitely a nice price range of stuff… but not much in the way of provenance on the pieces if you didn’t know better.  That Neal Adams Hulk “top corner” piece that says “1980’s Hulk” and shows it as being from issue #316 makes it look like that was the corner art from that era… when it very much is not.  The price alone should give that way, but even so, that’s just one thing that caught my eye.

I noticed that one too and thought it was cool, then looked it up and confirmed it wasn't from #316.

These aren't Heritage descriptions :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 2:24 AM, fmaz said:

 This is a great Batman shot but not signed… but I don’t recall ever seeing one sell for $1,400.

Yeah, that's my wife's piece. Good poses are harder to find than you might think! And there have been sales in that range on ebay, Hake's, HA, etc.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ns=Price|1&N=790+231+3185&Ntt=batman&ic4=SortBy-071515

Hake's - "BATMAN ANIMATED" FRAMED BRUCE TIMM BATMAN CEL & BACKGROUND ORIGINAL ART DISPLAY.
https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/237528/BATMAN-ANIMATED-FRAMED-BRUCE-TIMM-BATMAN-CEL-BACKGROUND-ORIGINAL-ART-DISPLAY

WB Batman Animated Arkham Asylum RARE OBG and cel w/COA signed by Bruce Timm | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164977724993?hash=item2669704e41%3Ag%3A5roAAOSwnydg~CsF&nma=true&si=Ev7zqP0M%2FXFxa5kpQ66YRWQ%2Fi2M%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Batman The Animated Series Original Production Cel: Batman: MASK OF THE PHANTASM | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184957326404?hash=item2b1050d444%3Ag%3AIskAAOSw8rlg-Hdq&nma=true&si=Ev7zqP0M%2FXFxa5kpQ66YRWQ%2Fi2M%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

Have fun at the show! It's really great to get out and see some comic art in such a nice location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 1:14 PM, BCarter27 said:

Yeah, that's my wife's piece. Good poses are harder to find than you might think! And there have been sales in that range on ebay, Hake's, HA, etc.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ns=Price|1&N=790+231+3185&Ntt=batman&ic4=SortBy-071515

Hake's - "BATMAN ANIMATED" FRAMED BRUCE TIMM BATMAN CEL & BACKGROUND ORIGINAL ART DISPLAY.
https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/237528/BATMAN-ANIMATED-FRAMED-BRUCE-TIMM-BATMAN-CEL-BACKGROUND-ORIGINAL-ART-DISPLAY

WB Batman Animated Arkham Asylum RARE OBG and cel w/COA signed by Bruce Timm | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164977724993?hash=item2669704e41%3Ag%3A5roAAOSwnydg~CsF&nma=true&si=Ev7zqP0M%2FXFxa5kpQ66YRWQ%2Fi2M%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Batman The Animated Series Original Production Cel: Batman: MASK OF THE PHANTASM | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184957326404?hash=item2b1050d444%3Ag%3AIskAAOSw8rlg-Hdq&nma=true&si=Ev7zqP0M%2FXFxa5kpQ66YRWQ%2Fi2M%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

 

Have fun at the show! It's really great to get out and see some comic art in such a nice location.

We decided not to go at the last minute. The prices and the small number of pieces that really interested me to see in person didn’t make it worth the visit unfortunately. Plus we’d just had an amazing lunch at Red Rooster and needed a break. 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, fmaz said:

We decided not to go at the last minute. The prices and the small number of pieces that really interested me to see in person didn’t make it worth the visit unfortunately. Plus we’d just had an amazing lunch at Red Rooster and needed a break. 😄

seems like we had a similar reaction to those prices!

I was going to make the hour drive/train ride but the Mignola Doc price astounded me and the other Mignola is a much better value but not my subject cup of tea. and the BWS sold immediately (preshow?) too. So I still want to go but no immediate need.

Do they have a suggestions make an offer box?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0