• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Presented Sets?

9 posts in this topic

First off, congrats to all the winners of this years registry awards! There are some very epic sets that have been fun to explore and gawk at (though obviously not as much fun as it must of been to actually build them).

Can anyone shine a light on what the expectations or guidelines are that might determine the winners of a "Best Presented Sets" award? I've scoured a few years worth of these and I'm at a loss on what is the unifying quality between the winners - only a few have additional HTML support, many have text descriptions - however many are walls of unformatted paragraph-less text (which in my eyes as a web designer is a strike against good presentation and readability), most have gallery images for some of the books (with a mix of those having both front & back covers and others lacking a back cover scan), while others just leave me scratching my head :D   

Is this award something that requires more 'campaigning' of the set on the boards (or submitted elsewhere) in order to ensure it is looked at and considered by CGC? 

I would really love to have a better idea of what I can do to better craft my sets for any future awards. 

Edited by Sauce Dog

• Administrator

Happy to shed some light here. In general we are obviously looking for sets with images and text. However, we are mostly looking at originality and whether or not the set conveys what that collector is all about. We shy away from sets where the text is copied from other sources unless that text also includes something specific to the collector. We tend to gravitate towards the sets that have 100% images, 100% text, overall set description and somewhat recent activity.

The formatting does not matter as much to us as the content. So, if we are looking at a set that has beautiful formatting but nothing original, we would lean towards a set that may not be as pretty but has an interesting spin. 

Originality, originality, originality. We look for information that we can't get elsewhere. Is there a story to how you acquired something? We want to read about it. Do you have some cool related item? Load a pic in the second image field - you don't have to stick to using those fields strictly for front and back.

If this all sounds vague, it's because this is super subjective. This is the category where literally anyone can win - deep pockets not required. And yes, if you want to campaign, go for it. We look at hundreds of sets for this category and if we are missing an obvious winner, we want to know it. Our goal is always to recognize effort.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, dena said:

Happy to shed some light here. In general we are obviously looking for sets with images and text. However, we are mostly looking at originality and whether or not the set conveys what that collector is all about. We shy away from sets where the text is copied from other sources unless that text also includes something specific to the collector. We tend to gravitate towards the sets that have 100% images, 100% text, overall set description and somewhat recent activity.

The formatting does not matter as much to us as the content. So, if we are looking at a set that has beautiful formatting but nothing original, we would lean towards a set that may not be as pretty but has an interesting spin. 

Originality, originality, originality. We look for information that we can't get elsewhere. Is there a story to how you acquired something? We want to read about it. Do you have some cool related item? Load a pic in the second image field - you don't have to stick to using those fields strictly for front and back.

If this all sounds vague, it's because this is super subjective. This is the category where literally anyone can win - deep pockets not required. And yes, if you want to campaign, go for it. We look at hundreds of sets for this category and if we are missing an obvious winner, we want to know it. Our goal is always to recognize effort.

Awesome! Thanks so much - this does explain a few things. Basically a great award category for someone with a unique collecting history / story to tell.

I'm happy to have won a Best in Set this year, but was very curious on what I could do to bring my Moon Knight set to the next level in future years, and it sounds like perhaps my story was more that of just recalling pleasant nostalgia, and not necessarily sharing some new information https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=137866

• Administrator

I wouldn't change a thing about your overall set description. We love nostalgia! Tell us a little more in the individual book comments - did you have to hunt them down, where were you able to find them, where did you get them signed, anything special you like about that issue, etc? Great set!

On 7/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, dena said:

I wouldn't change a thing about your overall set description. We love nostalgia! Tell us a little more in the individual book comments - did you have to hunt them down, where were you able to find them, where did you get them signed, anything special you like about that issue, etc? Great set!

Please forgive me for butting in but do Best Presented sets get a certificate? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.:blush:

Also, about formatting. When I look at my All Select Comics set using the Control Panel I see the text description all nice and formatted. When I look at the public page the formatting goes away. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bug in the system?

Thanks!

On 7/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, dena said:

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I too was a little confused about the best presented sets and what you were looking for.  Thank you Dena for adding some much needed info.  Maybe you could let me know if this set of mine was heading in the right direction and where I can improve. https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=144026

• Administrator
On 7/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, SeanYork said:

Not trying to highjack the thread, but I too was a little confused about the best presented sets and what you were looking for.  Thank you Dena for adding some much needed info.  Maybe you could let me know if this set of mine was heading in the right direction and where I can improve. https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=144026

Not highjacking. I could say the same as I said above to SauceDog. Expand those individual book comments a little and you are golden. Your overall set comments are outstanding and I love that you included the undistorted cover images. So cool!

GetImage.aspx?c=4163357&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=

On 7/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, dena said:

Congrats @Badger! Best Presented winners get a plaque and a $500 grading credit.

I'm looking at the formatting issue. Sounds like a bug to me.

Wow! Awesome and thanks! I'm updating my set description page with thumbnails right now and I noticed that it looks fine now. You either already fixed it or I did, inadvertantly. :) 

Edited by Badger