• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

542 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, rob_react said:

He might just be the most famous living artist. There are other options (KAWS, Shepard Fairey, Kusama, Jeff Koons, Ai WeiWei), but with the notoriety factor and the mystery of his identity, Banksy is like catnip for both the art world and the public at large. If you're interested in Banksy, I'm particular to the documentary Banksy Does New York about his "residency" in NYC in 2014 (where he attempted to do 31 clandestine works over 31 nights) and the attendant media frenzy it caused. I know a few of people who are interviewed and know many more by reputation, so I can vouch for the fact that they did their homework. 

His most famous single work is probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_is_in_the_Bin

(Spoiler alert! Some of you are not going to like that painting!)

The Banksy Does New York doc was outstanding.  Highly recommend it.   

On 1/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, adamstrange said:

Which people?  Gallery owners?  Likely purchasers of big ticket items?  Average Joe/Joesephine Public?  Art Critics/Art Professoriate?  

All of the above, merely out of curiosity as I said, not to generate an answer of what’s truly best.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, adamstrange said:

Assuming that the greats of today will be viewed as the greats a century from now is hubris.

As is assuming what’s considered garbage by some today, won’t be considered gold by others a century from now.