• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

542 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, comicdonna said:

WalkThrough

If you are submitting collectibles under the WalkThrough grading tier, mark each side of your shipping box with WK in large, bold letters.

Value  Unlimited

Cost  3% of Fair Market Value ($150 min.)

TAT  12 days

No but the value section for unlimited applies to the potential cost of the comic for insurance, not cost to grade. I know under the cost section it doesn’t say anything about a cap, and maybe they released that $5K cap but I thought that was still the case. I’m going to find out.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:45 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No but the value section for unlimited applies to the potential cost of the comic for insurance, not cost to grade. I know under the cost section it doesn’t say anything about a cap, and maybe they released that $5K cap but I thought that was still the case. I’m going to find out.

Ok, can now confirm that yeah, the cap was at some point removed and it is indeed unlimited now. So wow, in the past where if you sent in let’s say a 2 mil book there was the $5K cap. Now that’s going to cost $60K. Granted it would be slightly less with one of the memberships that save you a small percentage on grading fees. Will still be like $50K or more though in this scenario.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:18 AM, tth2 said:
On 7/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 7/26/2021 at 7:09 PM, Dark Knight said:

Looks to be all those books coming from the same owner since they were graded around that same timeframe? I wonder who it is  hm

and did he submit a GSX1, ASM129 and  IH181 :wishluck:

Don't forget TMNT 1! 

That one's a keeper !

On 7/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok, can now confirm that yeah, the cap was at some point removed and it is indeed unlimited now. So wow, in the past where if you sent in let’s say a 2 mil book there was the $5K cap. Now that’s going to cost $60K. Granted it would be slightly less with one of the memberships that save you a small percentage on grading fees. Will still be like $50K or more though in this scenario.

55 K grading fee. That is ridiculous. But very “blackstoney”

On 7/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, Professor Chaos said:

They'll probably be up for auction by the end of the year. Why grade them after all this time if not to sell. I can't wait to see them. 

Probably for this reason here alone:  hm

On 7/26/2021 at 9:07 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Since I haven't sent in any of my books for slabbing yet, wasn't this cap just removed with their last price increase that took effect just the other month.  If so, this might explain why the books might have been graded and slabbed, but still NOT YET coming to market?  (shrug)

Sad to say, but I don't believe any of my books would be affected by this cap removal anyways.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/26/2021 at 10:29 PM, woowoo said:

Well all the church books where priced 3 times what they where worth at that time. Dave and i talked a lot in the early 80's and he bought some key books from me like Superman 1. I had a high grade copy unrestored at the time but i also wanted to restore every thing up. These are some pics i have from the early 80's

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

Good lord, Harold !

On 7/27/2021 at 1:40 AM, lou_fine said:

Probably for this reason here alone:  hm

Since I haven't sent in any of my books for slabbing yet, wasn't this cap just removed with their last price increase that took effect just the other month.  If so, this might explain why the books might have been graded and slabbed, but still NOT YET coming to market?  (shrug)

Sad to say, but I don't believe any of my books would be affected by this cap removal anyways.  :(

Makes sense.  That’s a big savings if they were graded before the price increase.  But if values continue to increase as they have been, what’s another 100K in fees faced with millions in comics?  Lol

On 7/26/2021 at 11:46 PM, Aman619 said:
On 7/26/2021 at 10:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Makes sense.  That’s a big savings if they were graded before the price increase.

Yep, just went back to check on the other thread and it looks like they removed this $5K cap for any online submissions received into their system after April 28, as confirmed by these 2 upstanding board members here:  (thumbsu

On 4/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, MrBedrock said:

Has there been any discussion about the fact that CGC is removing the cap from the high-value walk through tier? For example, after April 28 an Action 1 in around 6.0 worth more than a million will cost more than $30,000 to have graded.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, blazingbob said:

As with much of the clear concise CGC press releases I think this one flew under the radar.

No mention of the $5K cap disappearing.  No old fee structure table to compare the new one with.

The question which I have is what kind of additional work does CGC have to do for a HG GA book that's worth say $2M, as compared to a lower grade GA book that's worth say only $2K.  Especially when I imagine there's a lot more work involved with trying to identify all of the defects when it comes to the lower graded copy, as compared to the HG copy.  hm  (shrug)

Sounds like nothing more than an absolute cash grab on the part of CGC if you ask me.  :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, lou_fine said:

Yep, just went back to check on the other thread and it looks like they removed this $5K cap for any online submissions received into their system after April 28, as confirmed by these 2 upstanding board members here:  (thumbsu

The question which I have is what kind of additional work does CGC have to do for a HG GA book that's worth say $2M, as compared to a lower grade GA book that's worth say only $2K.  Especially when I imagine there's a lot more work involved with trying to identify all of the defects when it comes to the lower graded copy, as compared to the HG copy.  hm  (shrug)

Sounds like nothing more than an absolute cash grab on the part of CGC if you ask me.  :mad:  :censored:

In this case CGC is askin 55 K for 15 minutes of grading effort + a plastic holder. Thats pretty aggressive. I wonder if ‘The Other Guy’ still offers his 3 K cap? 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:25 AM, Mr bla bla said:

In this case CGC is askin 55 K for 15 minutes of grading effort + a plastic holder. Thats pretty aggressive. I wonder if ‘The Other Guy’ still offers his 3 K cap? 

Well, it's probably going to be more like $100K+ more once you account for BOTH the pressing and grading fees.  :fear:

Like you are alluding to, exactly how much more additional work are they doing in order to rationalize this additional $100K+ that they are charging.  :censored:

On 7/27/2021 at 12:25 AM, Mr bla bla said:

I wonder if ‘The Other Guy’ still offers his 3 K cap? 

Just checked on their website and it's NOT a $3K maximum cap.  :gossip:

Looks like their website indicates the 1-day service for members is based upon 2.6% of the market value with a max cap of $2,600 per book.  The fee for non-members is based upon 2.75% of the market value with a max cap of $2,750 per book.  :applause:

Of course, if you really want to have the boys here at CCS and CGC to press and grade your book for you, there's a loophole for you to avoid paying the additional $100K more in fees for your $2M book.  All you have to do is send it in as part of the Gal Gadot private signing and CCS/CGC will press and grade the book for you for only $420.  Now, if you want her to add in her character name such as Wonder Woman or Diana Price, the price tag goes up to $630 for the additional name that she's going to have to sign.  lol

Of course, since it's a PRIVATE signing, how in the world do we know who's really signing these books here as it could really be the janitor for all we know.  :devil:

On 7/27/2021 at 9:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it's probably going to be more like $100K+ more once you account for BOTH the pressing and grading fees.  :fear:

Like you are alluding to, exactly how much more additional work are they doing in order to rationalize this additional $100K+ that they are charging.  :censored:

Dont look for “rationality” here. Look for greed. Lots of it. Black as stone.

On 7/26/2021 at 11:29 PM, woowoo said:

Well all the church books where priced 3 times what they where worth at that time. Dave and i talked a lot in the early 80's and he bought some key books from me like Superman 1. I had a high grade copy unrestored at the time but i also wanted to restore every thing up. These are some pics i have from the early 80's

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

Is one of those the Superman #1 you sold him?

On 7/27/2021 at 12:57 AM, lou_fine said:

Just checked on their website and it's NOT a $3K maximum cap.  :gossip:

Looks like their website indicates the 1-day service for members is based upon 2.6% of the market value with a max cap of $2,600 per book.  The fee for non-members is based upon 2.75% of the market value with a max cap of $2,750 per book.  :applause:

Of course, if you really want to have the boys here at CCS and CGC to press and grade your book for you, there's a loophole for you to avoid paying the additional $100K more in fees for your $2M book.  All you have to do is send it in as part of the Gal Gadot private signing and CCS/CGC will press and grade the book for you for only $420.  Now, if you want her to add in her character name such as Wonder Woman or Diana Price, the price tag goes up to $630 for the additional name that she's going to have to sign.  lol

Of course, since it's a PRIVATE signing, how in the world do we know who's really signing these books here as it could really be the janitor for all we know.  :devil:

You trying to lose me a job :makepoint:lol

On 7/27/2021 at 2:44 AM, rob_react said:

Is one of those the Superman #1 you sold him?

Been so long have No idea. I had a few over the years but the 1 in the middle was high grade that there was nothing to restore.

That's fascinating, because that's the one book of his (his current Superman #1) that we know the least about since it's just a generic copy. Yet, it might be the third most valuable individual comic in the hobby.