• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

542 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Professor Chaos said:

They'll probably be up for auction by the end of the year. Why grade them after all this time if not to sell. I can't wait to see them. 

Normally you'd be right, but in this case I don't think so.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, lou_fine said:

The question which I have is what kind of additional work does CGC have to do for a HG GA book that's worth say $2M, as compared to a lower grade GA book that's worth say only $2K. 

How much more additional work does a waiter at a Michelin 3 star restaurant have to do than at an Applebee's?  And yet they both get tips of 20% of the check.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, tth2 said:

How much more additional work does a waiter at a Michelin 3 star restaurant have to do than at an Applebee's?  And yet they both get tips of 20% of the check.

Not when I eat there they don't.

Yours respectfully - the reigning Olympic and World Miserly Tipping Record Holder...:wink:

Edited by pemart1966

On 7/27/2021 at 2:46 AM, Aman619 said:

Makes sense.  That’s a big savings if they were graded before the price increase.  But if values continue to increase as they have been, what’s another 100K in fees faced with millions in comics?  Lol

If you get the graders of the Promise books, it will be cheap at twice the price!

On 7/27/2021 at 2:14 AM, lou_fine said:

The question which I have is what kind of additional work does CGC have to do for a HG GA book that's worth say $2M, as compared to a lower grade GA book that's worth say only $2K.  Especially when I imagine there's a lot more work involved with trying to identify all of the defects when it comes to the lower graded copy, as compared to the HG copy.  hm  (shrug)

Sounds like nothing more than an absolute cash grab on the part of CGC if you ask me.  :mad:  :censored:

Devil's advocate argument:

Let's say that CGC needs to average $80 per book to keep their doors open.

They could charge a flat rate for all books, exactly $80 per book, whether it's a brand new Marvel or a copy of Action Comics #1.  Grading one book is grading one book, after all.

But, if there are a few people who can afford (and absolutely will pay) thousands of dollars to have certain books graded, they could price moderns at $22, economy at $33, standard at $75, and still make their numbers because a few books are making thousands of dollars when they are graded.

Which pricing model do you prefer?

On 7/27/2021 at 10:56 AM, tth2 said:

Normally you'd be right, but in this case I don't think so.

Oh! May I ask why you think that? Thanks. Why do you think that? Is there a reason you can say publically without outing the owner/s if you know who they are or something? Why do you think they won't be for sale in the near future? 

On 7/27/2021 at 12:57 AM, lou_fine said:
On 7/27/2021 at 12:25 AM, Mr bla bla said:

I wonder if ‘The Other Guy’ still offers his 3 K cap? 

Just checked on their website and it's NOT a $3K maximum cap.  :gossip:

Looks like their website indicates the 1-day service for members is based upon 2.6% of the market value with a max cap of $2,600 per book.  The fee for non-members is based upon 2.75% of the market value with a max cap of $2,750 per book.  :applause:

This represents a huge difference between what these two companies are now charging.  If "The Other Guy" plays its cards right, it might now be able to get a better foothold in the slabbing market.  Speaking for myself, with this massive disparity in fees for valuable books, I know I'll have to give significant consideration to the economic benefit of going with The Other Guy when I slab some of my bigger raw books.

Not to beat a dead horse, but in light of the rather sloppy grading by CGC of many of the Promise Collection books, they don't appear to be earning the higher fees they now charge.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:25 PM, RareHighGrade said:

This represents a huge difference between what these two companies are now charging.  If "The Other Guy" plays its cards right, it might now be able to get a better foothold in the slabbing market.  Speaking for myself, with this massive disparity in fees for valuable books, I know I'll have to give significant consideration to the economic benefit of going with The Other Guy when I slab some of my bigger raw books.

Not to beat a dead horse, but in light of the rather sloppy grading by CGC of many of the Promise Collection books, they don't appear to be earning the higher fees they now charge.

This ...

On 7/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I have to disagree with you on the big price difference will have an effect on submissions. The economic  benfit is . The auction results speak for themselves first of all, you could be taking hundreds of thousands of dollars price differential especially on top tier books in very high grade. Second, all auction houses will front the costs of CGC grading upfront for the consignment, so I do not see if money is an issue getting any of the major players to grade the books. the economic  Benefit is get the most $$$ and CGC reputation among the general public is that they are the "king " of grading services by a mile. It is not even close. I have carefully looked at the other guys grading for years now and I believe CGC is far more consistent as too the actual  grade the book should have gotten in my opinion.

Yes, there are going to be great examples of so under/overgrading for both of the big boys. But there is no way I would ever grade away from CGC for any book over 10K... period.

It's weird to me. The auction houses bend over backwards to get the biggest books. The mainstream press and the attention from the community are worth more than whatever they forgo in commission and the $$ they give up is WAY bigger than the difference in grading fees between the old cap and the new unlimited structure. I guess if you're the 880lb gorilla...

It will be interesting to see if more $250,000+ books go the other way. 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:58 AM, Nic8612 said:
On 7/27/2021 at 11:00 PM, tth2 said:

Found the guy that's never worked in a restaurant

That's true, I was just trying to think of something where payments are generally based on a percentage.  There was no intention to slight people who've waited tables at a high-end restaurant or a low-end restaurant.

If you want an example from an industry that I'm more familiar with, for many years the standard underwriting fee for an IPO was 7%.  So if you're Morgan Stanley and underwriting a $20m IPO, your fee is $1.4m.  If you underwrite a $200m IPO, your fee is $14m, and if you underwrite a $2b IPO, your fee is $140m.  In general, the work required of the underwriter is not that much different, and even where significantly more work is required, like the issuer needs to do significant restructuring in order to successfully list, there is not 10X and definitely not 100X more work for the underwriter.   

Edited by tth2

On 7/27/2021 at 4:38 PM, pemart1966 said:

Not when I eat there they don't.

Yours respectfully - the reigning Olympic and World Miserly Tipping Record Holder...:wink:

Geez man, that's nothing to brag about. (shrug)

On 7/28/2021 at 5:25 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Given that their sloppiness seems to be in favor of the submitter rather than against, I would argue that the sloppiness is actually a good reason to submit to CGC! 

Will it be worth the saved slabbing fees to go with the other guys?  If the Promise books had been slabbed by the other guys, and gotten the same grades as they've received from CGC, there probably would've been a lot of skepticism and assumptions that everything was overgraded by at least one grade.  Now, you may say that everything was overgraded by at least one grade by CGC too, but the difference in my opinion is that this skepticism didn't impact the prices realized, while I believe it very much would have with the other guys.

Put a different way, if the Promise collection had been all submitted to the other guys, the universal reaction among collectors would've been "What's wrong with the books?"  

On 7/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, tth2 said:

Given that their sloppiness seems to be in favor of the submitter rather than against, I would argue that the sloppiness is actually a good reason to submit to CGC! 

There are some other threads where the submitting boardies are saying cgc is grading their submissions harder than usual.
I don’t even want to consider the implications