• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scheduled for grading...TWO MONTHS NOW!
4 4

92 posts in this topic

Sorry, but I love reading this stuff. Why customers put up with it is beyond me. Then, the books come back smashed and damaged because doofus was going too fast cramming it into a slab. So precious. But CGC is the best! Can't wait to read more of your frustrated tales of suspense.

With how long my most recent express order took to be processed, graded, and shipped back to me, I have decided to take a break from submitting to CGC for a while. However, there were no quality control issues this time, so I was happy about that. Just takin' a break and hoping for things to return to shorter time frames by sometime next year...

Edited by comicdiablo

I  sent  some (23)  books  back in jan ... they  are  still  to  be press ... then how  many  more months  for  grading ... 7 months  down ... I  am  hoping  to  get  them  within  the  year .. when I  read the  turnaround  times it makes me laugh ..  they  take  nearly 2 months (  for  the  books  i  sent  in may )   to  acknowledge  they  received them  ... 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, lostboys said:

I imagine people are sending in literally hundreds of books at a time...mostly New releases too.

I don't think this was the original purpose of CGC but the $$$ is pouring in and they've lost their way a bit.

They should split into two divisions.

There should be one division for the greedy Ebayer who wants his 50 copies of Negan Lives 1 graded.

This. I got rid of two large customers this year expecting my workload to reduce considerably. Nope. I am busier than I have ever been. I get submissions now that are 2-4 short boxes at a time. Absolutely crazy. 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:06 PM, joeypost said:

This. I got rid of two large customers this year expecting my workload to reduce considerably. Nope. I am busier than I have ever been. I get submissions now that are 2-4 short boxes at a time. Absolutely crazy. 

2 to 4 short boxes at a time? All Moderns? I guess I never realized people were submitting that kind of quantity. 

It makes sense. The demand is for 9.8s and there is money to be made if you can get them, but man, that's allot of books! 

In a way this may be a blessing in disguise.

With CGC stuck in the mud, I've been able to just focus on buying some awesome raw books for my collection. 

I'm the past, I stressed about buying raw books because I only wanted copies that would be worthy of being graded.

Now I'm kind of settling back into a comfort zone of being happy with VF+ copies of books I need.

I'm done buying already slabbed books because 80% of the slabs being sold have Newton rings, inner well scuffs or the book is deformed inside the slab.

I must have returned close to 15 slabbed books just this year on Ebay.

Sellers could save everyone a lot of time and effort if they'd just be honest about that chit.

I messaged one seller asking if his slab had rings or scuffs and he messaged me back...lectured me actually about how rings and scuffs are not defects.

Well, I own just under 50 stabbed books and not a Newton ring in sight on any of them. I don't accept them as normal, never will. Return that to the seller.

/rant

Edited by lostboys
Misspelled word

On 8/12/2021 at 8:53 PM, lostboys said:

In the past, I stressed about buying raw books because I only wanted copies that would be worthy of being graded.

Now I'm kind of settling back into a comfort zone of being happy with VF+ copies of books I need.

I'm with you. I have been buying raw for awhile now. Plus in many cases, they are about a third of what the same book graded costs. I mean, how often to we have to pay the grading cost of the sellers? We all do it. Over and over. The book could be sold 7 times and there is always that "YAH but it's GRADED! It's gay-runTEEEED!" thing. Yeah, whatever. I bought a Phantom Stranger #10 at about 7.0 raw for $45. The same book in that grade ranges from $150-$300 slabbed. If one can even be found.

My fear since this whole thing started is the backlog CGC created will begin to drive pricing up on raw books now. And this backlog thing isn't new. They have had plenty of time to hire new graders. They make money hand over fist. Splurge a little, CGC. Less administration and more hands on deck.

Just happened to check out the current turnaround times and grading fees.  Modern is $22, add $15 for Fast Track.  Current turnaround time is 97 days, 81 days for Fast Track.  If you pay 68% more for Fast Track, you get it 16% faster.  What a deal!!!  (If the TAT doesn't double while you are waiting)

On 8/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, Rickless said:

I  sent  some (23)  books  back in jan ... they  are  still  to  be press ... then how  many  more months  for  grading ... 7 months  down ... I  am  hoping  to  get  them  within  the  year .. when I  read the  turnaround  times it makes me laugh ..  they  take  nearly 2 months (  for  the  books  i  sent  in may )   to  acknowledge  they  received them  ... 

If you're lucky, it's likely to take a month just for the post office to get the books there.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:45 AM, Artifiction said:

If you're lucky, it's likely to take a month just for the post office to get the books there.

Longer than that.

My last package was delivered in mid June and CGC is just now opening packages delivered the first week of June.

2 months for them to simply acknowledge that they have your valuable collectibles.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:45 AM, Artifiction said:

I think the post office delivers everyday to CGC but the books just sit in there mail room unprotected till they are received by CGC.

Unless they have a vault ( a really big one ) in there mail room.

Edited by topcat54

On the idea of books being delivered and just sitting -  can confirm.  I sent in multiple tiers in one box in Feb, forgetting to put any markings for Express on the outside. So my USPS receipt ahows they were handed to CGC in the first few days of March. They were not added to system as Received until March 21st.  I'm happy to report that the last of the books, in Value tier, were just shipped on August 18th!  SIX MONTH PLUS TURNAROUND!!!  That's just brutal.
+
Their CCS pressing is also backed up. Express says 17 days, but mine will be at working day 19 as of Friday.

Okay so the package that was delivered to CGC In mid June has just been opened and sent for pressing.

Meanwhile the book this thread was started for is STILL scheduled for grading.

3 months and counting.

Edited by lostboys
Misspelled word

I sent a book to CGC for restoration removal on 06/02/2021, and it was marked received on 08/06/2021.

So, according to CGC, restoration removal at the Standard tier is 15 days. Grading at the Standard tier is 59 days. I'm hoping for January, 2022, but I won't be surprised if it's February or March, 2022. I just hope the restoration can be removed. If the restoration can be removed (small amount of glue on cover), I will gladly wait until March, 2022.