• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Final Grade White Box "Centering"

9 posts in this topic

I've read complaints on grade centering going back to last year, so am doubting that CGC cares at all. Every card graded by them is a testament to the standards of quality to which this company holds, and one would think they should care whether some of their labels look like doo-doo or not.

This Farfetch'd card slab, a recent return, was marked on with a red marker by someone at CGC before it was returned to me. Thanks so much to whoever took the time to make sure I noticed the awesome centering, which is encroaching the grade box border. A good portion of my returned bulk submission has similar centering as well. I was so looking forward to having a completely graded 1st Ed Base set, and the first thing mentioned by anyone looking at my cards so far has been in regard to the poor grade centering. Yay.

I also question if these off center grade labels might affect the value of the slabs in any way. I know I'd much prefer centered grades in my personal collection.

screenshot.837.jpg

Edited by LuckyMouse

On 7/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, LuckyMouse said:

I've read complaints on grade centering going back to last year, so am doubting that CGC cares at all. Every card graded by them is a testament to the standards of quality to which this company holds, and one would think they should care whether some of their labels look like doo-doo or not.

This Farfetch'd card, a recent return, was marked on with a red marker by someone at CGC before it was returned to me. Thanks so much to whoever took the time to make sure I noticed the awesome centering, which is encroaching the grade box border. A good portion of my returned bulk submission has similar centering as well. I was so looking forward to having a completely graded 1st Ed Base set, and the first thing mentioned by anyone looking at my cards so far has been in regard to the poor grade centering. Yay.

I also question if these off center grade labels might affect the value of the slabs in any way. I know I'd much prefer centered grades in my personal collection.

screenshot.837.jpg

Wait. The slab came back marked with the red circle?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

On 7/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, LuckyMouse said:

Yeah, it did.

WTF -_-. I've been seeing a lot more instances on the forums now of people getting cards back like this or with marker on the actual cards. I wonder if the surge in hiring at CGC is bringing down the quality of the graders there with these type of mistakes having an up tick.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:37 AM, kreativemente said:

WTF -_-. I've been seeing a lot more instances on the forums now of people getting cards back like this or with marker on the actual cards. I wonder if the surge in hiring at CGC is bringing down the quality of the graders there with these type of mistakes having an up tick.

Someone noticed the centering enough to mark it after it was imaged, so during the final look-over I'm assuming. Then it just got shipped off, without being wiped off. So at least someone cared somewhat.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:12 AM, LuckyMouse said:

This Farfetch'd card slab, a recent return, was marked on with a red marker by someone at CGC before it was returned to me. Thanks so much to whoever took the time to make sure I noticed the awesome centering, which is encroaching the grade box border. A good portion of my returned bulk submission has similar centering as well. I was so looking forward to having a completely graded 1st Ed Base set, and the first thing mentioned by anyone looking at my cards so far has been in regard to the poor grade centering. Yay.

screenshot.837.jpg

From a OCD/nitpick standpoint, the gap below the 8.5 coupled with the massive blank space where the subgrades should be gives CGC slabs an incomplete/prototype/MVP look. 

I will never buy a slab without subgrades because of how aesthetically unpleasing that white space is.