Nominating Bfairb for the probation/HOS lists
5 5

41 posts in this topic

Really unfortunate situation. Two observations.

1. If Mike reckons the seller guy (who I do not know) sent him an expensive box of clothing etc. out of pure kindness, I highly doubt he has pulled the rug from the sale just to make a few more bucks.

2. Sometimes when you try and sell something, and you are inundated with buyers, it can make you think that you shouldn't be selling the item after all. Not trying to excuse the seller, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There doesn't appear to be any correlation that I can see between an individual's generosity and their own particular reckoning of what it means to honor their word.  Indeed for some, and we see this time and time again on the boards, to back out of a deal when money has not changed hands isn't going back on your word - it's just changing your mind, which they strongly feel everyone has a right to do.  If the buyer isn't out anything tangible, if money paid is handed back, then no harm no foul.  And there is no personal wrestling of conscience, it's pretty cut and dried to them, they're amazed at your response or simply hey whatever, you do you and I'll do me.

In the "real world" it's not like that though.  The law has a remedy called specific performance.  "Actions for specific performance are usually allowed with regard to a contract involving the sale of particular real estate; and a contract for sale of a particular business. Specific performance is not allowed regarding a contract for the sale of personal property unless the property is unique in some way like an antique, coin collection, or art objects."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, G G ® ™ said:

Really unfortunate situation. Two observations.

1. If Mike reckons the seller guy (who I do not know) sent him an expensive box of clothing etc. out of pure kindness, I highly doubt he has pulled the rug from the sale just to make a few more bucks.

2. Sometimes when you try and sell something, and you are inundated with buyers, it can make you think that you shouldn't be selling the item after all. Not trying to excuse the seller, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

My comment is with respect to #2, which I find plausible, and granted we are speculating, only the seller can say their motive. But the market now is such that sellers remorse is almost to be expected, when selling a few months too early can mean thousands of dollars of lost revenue. Part of the reason that market prices are so strong generally is that many people are holding books back as they are afraid to sell too soon. Everyone hates to leave money on the table. Again, this is not an excuse, as this PL is open and shut, but more a sign of the times. 2c

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 4:04 PM, crassus said:

My comment is with respect to #2, which I find plausible, and granted we are speculating, only the seller can say their motive. But the market now is such that sellers remorse is almost to be expected, when selling a few months too early can mean thousands of dollars of lost revenue. Part of the reason that market prices are so strong generally is that many people are holding books back as they are afraid to sell too soon. Everyone hates to leave money on the table. Again, this is not an excuse, as this PL is open and shut, but more a sign of the times. 2c

You point out a good object lesson for those who may be "new" to the selling part of this hobby.  It's not really a "rule," but I wonder if there's some place this kind of warning could be added that new sellers will review before they start offering books for sale?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to make a couple of points here. I never post here, but I like to read these threads ... kinda like being a rubbernecker. Plus, I'm watching a rerun of the 2016 US Open (go DJ!) and I'm really bored.

Point #1 - I ran a sales thread a couple of years ago. For some reason, PP was giving me fits because they wouldn't let me accept payments, and true to their typical selves, they couldn't/refused to tell me why. I ended up sending people their books first and then they would send me a check. That was the last sales thread I ran. My point is, even though my problems were different than the problems @Bfairb experienced in his thread, problems are problems. They can lead to a lot of confusion and are VERY frustrating. And I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to say "Screw it. Nobody gets nothing. I'm done."

Point #2 - Like I said, I like to read these threads. In previous threads, people, many people (including the keeper/updater of the PL) have stated something like "You've been refunded, so you're 'whole'. Thus, there is no justification to put ____ on the PL."  Of course, it's entirely possible that the rules/reasons for being put on the PL have changed and I just didn't get the memo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Selling something at FMV is not being "greedy."

It is, if you’ve already agreed to sell it to someone else for less

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My interpretation is that he got spun around by competing "takes" on the same book, tried to make good on his own rules and satisfy all parties, unintentionally obfuscating the issue further, and finally grew frustrated to the point of canceling all sales. I'm not sure where the narrative became that he was canceling lower value deals to sell for more money. That's an unverifiable assumption. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, comicdonna said:

It doesn't really matter but, after communicating with Brian, I do not believe the reason for backing out was money.  It's  not fair to him to assume that.  That's all I have for this thread.  

 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ryan. said:

My interpretation is that he got spun around by competing "takes" on the same book, tried to make good on his own rules and satisfy all parties, unintentionally obfuscating the issue further, and finally grew frustrated to the point of canceling all sales. I'm not sure where the narrative became that he was canceling lower value deals to sell for more money. That's an unverifiable assumption. 

You both make valid arguments but that does not satisfy Jeff's clean :takeit:. If @Bfairb grew frustrated with the other "takes" that should not have impacted the sale to Jeff. Unfortunately, anyone still interested in this topic can only make assumptions, right or wrong, due to Bfairb's decision to disengage from the conversation which is fairly within his rights to do so. It just saddens me to see this play out on the boards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 9:59 AM, Funnybooks said:

 

You both make valid arguments but that does not satisfy Jeff's clean :takeit:. If @Bfairb grew frustrated with the other "takes" that should not have impacted the sale to Jeff. Unfortunately, anyone still interested in this topic can only make assumptions, right or wrong, due to Bfairb's decision to disengage from the conversation which is fairly within his rights to do so. It just saddens me to see this play out on the boards.

No argument from me on that. I'm not defending Bfairb's actions; merely explaining my interpretation as I saw it play out in real time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5