• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, JTLarsen said:

Comic collectors.

Funny, but back before the virus DC had been catching Marvel on new comic sales. Very hard to get data any more and with the virus it is sort of apples and oranges, very hard to work out what it means. Around a decade ago Marvel had 50% of new comics and DC had around 30% with independents with 20%. About two years ago, Marvel had dropped to high 30% a little more than DC and some months less, it just depended whether Spider-man was rebooted that month which seemed to happen about twice a year. My guess is comic reading and comic collecting for profit are now worlds apart. Many of my cosplay friends are huge comic readers but don't chase any old books. Not quite sure who  these old book chasers are.

Not sure where this is heading, but it will soon be like Bitcoin, where if no one ever sells and everyone in it keeps hyping they think the market can never go backwards. So many people buying books they have no love for.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, 1950's war comics said:

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC:

filled with regret and remorseful

It's funny, but most DC comic readers do have Marvels. I have a stack of them as they were good comics, 60 years ago. Just could not bring myself to reading them since.

Not sure Marvel fans have any DC. It would betray their sense of fandom.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:24 AM, flashlites said:

If you are collecting for investment or chasing Fads and Keys, I really don't know what that's like, so I'll only say this: have fun with it but try and look a little deeper into the hobby once in a while. There's a lot of fun in between the covers...:roflmao:! But you'll have to buy a reader copy to find out.

Hey I love the stories too - lots of folks here aren't reading new books every week anymore like I am which is their prerogative - but buy, sell, trade is the greatest sport in human history... the prize secured is the most coveted, fought over resource there is, virtually everyone can participate, AND both the buyer and the seller can win! Can't beat that with a stick. You don't know what you're missing! :devil: