• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bradley Phillips said:

As someone who is still pretty new to (but very enthusiastic about!) silver age collecting and reading, I find a lot of DC stuff to be much more accessible than Marvel, so even though my Silver Age fascination began with Spider-man, Daredevil, and X-Men, I've been buying way more Batman, Superman, World's Finest, B&tB, etc. than I ever thought I would, and even read my first ever Justice League America and Green Lantern comics the other day and I'm actually kind of surprised by how much I've enjoyed it. Green Lantern, for example, is something I never once even considered reading, but I found a copy of GL 62 at my local comic shop for under 10$ and I figured, what the hell I'll give it a try, and while I still prefer Batman when it comes to DC, I was pleasantly surprised and now feel inclined to read more SA GL if I come upon it.

I still am trying to buy certain Marvel issues when I can, like most Sgt. Fury issues seem to be fairly cheap atm but have been really fun to read, and some of the latter TOS issues aren't overly expensive for reader copies. Now and then I'll spend the extra money for an early Spidey or early-mid TOS as something special, but simply due to how much easier it's been to find SA DC locally and the fact that I don't have to fight people over them at auctions, it's pushed me way further into DC than I expected, but I'm happy to explore all of it! I feel like discovering this new love for silver age comics has opened a whole new world to me, so I'm just having fun with it.

#winning (can’t wait for you to get into DC war!)

On 7/29/2021 at 10:29 AM, Randall Ries said:

I have I think 1 Marvel book and the rest are DC or an indie label. I don't collect new books or I'd be up to my neck in them. Please by all means ignore DC. Drive the sell prices down. There's a lot of DC bronze age I want.

A good one?

When I started collecting, DC had an advantage because I knew some of the characters.  I grew up watching Superman reruns, and was in second grade when Batmania exploded in 1966.

I also liked that most DC books were self-contained and not part of a three issue arc.  The first two runs I put together were the Legion Adventures and Justice League 1-110.

I spent the summer of 1973 at my Grandmother's house and the kid next door had boxes of Marvel Comics, all in order and most in a glad food storage bag.  It was the summer of the Avenger-Defenders War, as well as  Starlin's cosmic space Opera starring Captain Marvel, Drax, Eros and Thanos.  DC had nothing that came close. Maybe the Manhunter Saga, but that was buried in 100 page books that cost much more and were mostly reprints.  Soon my weekly purchases were just about every Marvel on the stands and if  I had any money leftover, a couple of DCs or an occasional Charlton- Yang and Space 1999.  When comics went from 20 cents to 25 cents, it meant my dollar bought four comics instead of five and I had to cut books.  Do I want a 60 cent Brave and Bold that is mostly reprints or do I want two Marvel titles?  I dropped Superman, Action, Brave and Bold, and soon  DCs were  small part of my collection. They never recovered, especially when Atlas came out.  Most of the Atlas books were pretty bad and I only kept up with a few after #1 but that all came at DCs expense. 

On 7/29/2021 at 4:40 AM, Readcomix said:

I know we’re in Silver, but obviously the companies span decades, so I just want to offer that IMO there is not better comic-reading value for your entertainment dollar currently than back issue Copper-90’s DC. In an era where Marvel gave us Secret Wars II, superheroes with big outlandish guns, lots of soap opera (looking at you, X Drek) and on and on, DC was putting out lots of very readable stuff. Not just swamp thing, Sandman, Watchmen, and the better known stuff, but the Justice League incarnations from Giffen to Morrison, the 2-year Blue Beetle run, most of Captain Atom, early Wolfman Perez Titans, LSH through the 80’s, Peter David Aquaman, the Wally West Flash years, Ostrander’s Suicide Squad and Martian Manhunter…lots of dirt cheap, near keyless :cloud9: affordable fun. Marvel same timespan not so much.

You sir are my hero!

I think the biggest reason for the disparity is the overall success of Marvel's parent conglomerate compared to DC's. With the exception of their ESPN division, Disney has had a very strong decade while Warner/ATT has floundered comparatively. Had ATT bought Star Wars and started Warner Plus, the shoe could very well have been on the other foot, but Disney has made a lot of strong moves that have paid off. Simply put, they've been kicking butt and taking names, and they've turned the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a juggernaut.

DC's movies have been financially successful for the most part, but they don't have that massive wall of exposure/output that the Disney Marvel franchises do, and I think that's the biggest difference. I'd say it has almost nothing to do with the quality of the DC or Marvel franchises, it's the way that Disney has marketed them. Meaning that if Disney owned DC instead of Marvel and treated the franchises the same way with movies, Disney Plus, merchandising, rides at theme parks, or whatever else, their positions would be flipped right now, and this thread would be about why DC's books are so much hotter than Marvel's.

Of course, that's all just my opinion, and I could be wrong. ;D

On 8/4/2021 at 4:11 PM, Gaard said:

A good one?

Well, I don't know. I bought The Immortal Hulk triad with the supposed Jewish slap. I really don't think I have any other Marvel books. Nothing against them. But they are well populated and overpriced. Someone earlier said that silver/bronze DC are what comic books are actually WORTH. Marvel books have their intrinsic value plus all the movie and tv hype driving the prices. Prices and actual value are 2 different things to me.

I am trying to wrap up what I actually want from DC bronze, then I'd like to start in on Marvel bronze but the prices are out of line. Suppose that isn't going to change.