• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

Wondering if Disney might have any interest in purchasing DC down the road if and when it becomes available. Could it happen? There's always something kick starting the hobby...maybe that's the next big one.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

People think it is Marvel vs DC but it is much more complicated than that. Within DC there are two groups. Batman and the rest. If you are in the rest you may read Batman  but look at the shelves over the last 30 years and Batman is around 1-3rd+ of all DC product and as such how he is handled with the talent given to it is obvious. Many DC fans do not buy very much outside Gotham based titles. You can see it here. Ask a Batman collector about DC and it is the 40s and then drek until Adams O'Neil came on board with a  darker grittier Batman in the 70s. Ask a DC fan and he will talk about how great the SA was, with Broome, Fox, Kane Infantino, Kubert, and Anderson, how good Johns take was on Flash, Aquaman the Sinestro Wars.  To many of us the Drek period is the 70's the opposite of Batman readers. That sort of fan base does not exist within Marvel to that extent.

Excellent post.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:18 PM, silverseeker said:
  • Hawkman #1-20 (for some reason I had no interest in getting those last seven issues)

I recently fell down a GIANT Hawkman rabbit hole and basically consumed it all until I was delirious from feathered comics. The SA stuff was pretty decent but after having tried to read all the version of him, it was really the recent 2018 series (at least the first 12 issues of it) which I enjoyed the most since it basically wrapped up ALL the origins and versions of Hawkman into one series.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, silverseeker said:

I definitely fall into the "and the rest" camp, as I was never interested in collecting Batman for some reason...

When I was a kid in the 70s I absolutely loved Murphy Anderson's work on Hawkman and Mike Sekowsky's work on Justice League of America (I found his funky poses and general style weirdly interesting lol), and picked up low-grade copies of a lot of those books. I also loved Carmine Infantino's work on Flash and Gil Kane's work on the Atom (more the early issues for both), so when I got back into collecting in 2000 my goal was to put together the following runs:

• Atom #1-20
  • Flash #105-151 (it's a weird stopping point, but I love the cover of #151)
  • Hawkman #1-20 (for some reason I had no interest in getting those last seven issues)
  • Justice League of America #1-38

I also had Green Lantern #1-30 as a goal, but gave up on that a few years ago because it was so tough to find nice copies of these books for some reason. (shrug)

In any case, as much as I love my Silver Age Marvels, my Silver Age DCs are right there with them...

That mirrors me so much. Left comics when Neal Adams run finished and convinced myself at the age of 18 I had outgrown them (in Australia DC was very limited, any title pre 1960 was reprinted in B & W  and Marvel too patchy in distribution) Also Cinf had finished Flash by then. Came back in around 1981, my first one back was a GL 161, then wandered by chance into our first direct selling comic shop, saw Cinf drawing 308 on the shelf and never looked back. Those early GL under 5 are always low grade. Best I could find here (it was sold here, title started after 1960, one of very few DC books that was about a 3.0 if I am generous. Easier to find GL 1 in high grade than 3-5. I had kept my JLAs so just needs to go back and get the JSA cross overs, and my Flash books. Wow Flash in colour !! Was amazing.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, skypinkblu said:

The one book I avoided (besides the War and Love comics) were the Wonder Womans, because she was a "girl" and I didn't want to be typecast...Until I met some great people on the eBay chatboard...and they taught me about the GA books...and how Batman was going to be over priced, but Wonder Woman was harder to find and much cheaper...so I concentrated on those. 

Yeah Kanigher was writing truly great war books but his other SA books were already dated by 1959

On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, jmg3637 said:

When I got into comics  I enjoyed DC much more than marvel  so those were the books I read  in the late 60's

When I got back into reading in the late 80's  those were the characters I was familar with and wanted to see where the stories were going.

As I began to "invest" in comics  I bought many collections  and started building my marvel collection  while also adding many more DC

Shifted my focus after a few less than pleasant internet  deals  and  shifted  to Four Colors via Trade  about 15 years ago

Still very happy  with my silver age DC's  even though the keys in that era are few and far between

I am so enjoying having access to  the images  that Photobucket  was holding hostage and then threatened to  delete if I did not pay something

metalmen1.jpg

metalmen1c2.jpg

metalmen2.jpg

metalmen3.jpg

metalmen4.jpg

metamorpho1.jpg

metamorpho3.jpg

mis41.jpg

mis44.jpg

Nice copies of the Metal Men there. They are the comic that got me started in comics so they will always have a special place in collecting for me. 

When you ask whether I like Marvel or DC better, it's the same as asking which of my children I like better or which of my grandchildren I like better (at least for me). I like them all equally well. Just for the sake of honesty, I will admit that Spider-Man is my favorite character.

PS - I like the Metal Men also!

Marvel Studios is in the ongoing process of saving the American movie theater experience.  I really hope DC/Warner Bros. will get its act together and unveil a string of interconnected DCEU gems to get more audiences back in theaters.  If this happens, our old DC comic books will become more expensive.

christopher-reeve-superman.gif

Edited by zosocane