• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Whilce Portacio appreciation thread
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I dug Portacio after he first gained my attention in Punisher. I followed him through the X titles and into Image where he lost me. Unfortunately, while early he was influential, his style hasn't aged well with me.

I also began seeing Gary Cherone in every male face Whilce drew.

Still, these two books worked really well with his style.

463034938_LegionofNight1.thumb.jpg.5a3a24199beb3c9f6bcb32880f5393a3.jpg361780114_LegionofNight2.thumb.jpg.3f9801c31941acbe6744de4c0cf8ccd6.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, grendelbo said:

I dug Portacio after he first gained my attention in Punisher. I followed him through the X titles and into Image where he lost me. Unfortunately, while early he was influential, his style hasn't aged well with me.

I also began seeing Gary Cherone in every male face Whilce drew.

Still, these two books worked really well with his style.

Sadly, not long after following the Copper age superstars to Image, a family tragedy and then a health crisis impacted his career. He peaked in the Copper Age. Thanks for sharing those Legion of the Night covers! Cool, dark & visceral stuff. From 1991 the last year of the copper age - depending on your definition:)

I loved his work on X-Factor - I still remember reading # 63 with awe - and it was no mean feat given that I believe he followed Jim Lee's covers in 60-62.

Eventually went back and collected his early work (incl. Star Wars # 107 and Strikeforce Morituri # 1, 10).

But the delays on Wetworks killed it for me.

X-Factor.jpg

While I prefer his later work, his Punisher run was worthy. Here's my favorite - Punisher # 10, which I think has *almost* reached Copper Age "classic cover" status.

And, if you weren't around at the time or didn't read it, Punisher # 10 features the same story as Daredevil # 257 - but each is told differently, from the perspective of their respective title characters.

Punisher 10.jpg

Daredevil 257.jpg