• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I just learn something from Ebay, or is this guy full of it? Aquaman 56 and Submariner 72

9 posts in this topic

I was just sipping my coffee and looking thru Ebay. Came across this listing.

" NOTE: Aquaman #56 and Sub-Mariner #72 is the infamous hidden DC/Marvel crossover! Writer Steve Skeates, unbeknownst to the editorial staffs of Marvel and DC, creates the very first intercompany crossover between the Big Two. Aquaman battles a creature that at the end of the issue explodes in outer space. A few years later, the very same creature emerges in the Marvel Universe from an explosion in outer space. This has to be one of the most underestimated issues."

Is this true? I have never heard/read anything about it.

I put it in the same category  as the crossovers  at the Rutland Halloween parade. 

This is what MCS says about it;

Aquaman #56 and Sub-Mariner #72 is the infamous hidden DC/Marvel crossover! Writer Steve Skeates, unbeknownst to the editorial staffs of Marvel and DC, creates the very first intercompany crossover between the Big Two. Aquaman battles a creature that at the end of the issue explodes in outer space. A few years later, the very same creature emerges in the Marvel Universe from an explosion in outer space. This has to be one of the most underrated and coolest hidden gems in Comics History. – Odinson, Lone Star Comics Archivist Cover price $0.15.

Edited by shadroch

As others have said, the basic story is correct. 

It's not the first intercompany crossover of this type, though.

The Squadron Sinister in Avengers #70 was supposed to be mirrored by a team of villainous Avengers analogues in JLoA #75, but the DC version was watered down to the point where you'd only notice if you already knew about it (such as a guy throwing a trash can lid like Cap's shield).

So they tried it again a year later with far more success. Avengers #85 introduces the Squadron Supreme when the Avengers accidentally travel to an alternate world. This is a crossover with Justice League of America #89, where a team of heroes called The Assemblers travels from their own world to the JLA's universe. This team is clearly based on the Avengers, with analogues of Thor, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Yellowjacket. 

This was an intentional "crossover" planned by the two writers, and predates Submariner 72.

The Avengers/JLA crossover only used analogues, but the real Aquaman's gloved hand is shown in one flashback panel in Sub-Mariner #72, albeit miscoloured blue.

My favourite part of the issue features an implicitly gay wrestling fan named Bruce, who attacks Subby beneath what purports to be a quotation from Adolf Hiller.  Could someone tell me whether the quote is genuine or spoof?

nmr7.jpg

On 8/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, Chaykin Stevens said:

The Avengers/JLA crossover only used analogues, but the real Aquaman's gloved hand is shown in one flashback panel in Sub-Mariner #72, albeit miscoloured blue.

My favourite part of the issue features an implicitly gay wrestling fan named Bruce, who attacks Subby beneath what purports to be a quotation from Adolf Hiller.  Could someone tell me whether the quote is genuine or spoof?

nmr7.jpg

Genuine quote, it's from Mein Kampf.