• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serious eBay CGC issue not to be overlooked
3 3

88 posts in this topic

If I buy a brand new PS5, hook it up and it doesn't work, is that the seller's fault? No. Do I work it out with the seller, or Sony? Maybe a great seller takes the return, but I wouldn't expect them to. Sony manufactured a defective product and there's a warranty.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:57 PM, G G ® ™ said:

Then you politely take it up with CGC, as others have stated logically in this thread.

If the seller slabbed the book himself and knows the grading to be wrong, then you have a case, otherwise you have less legs to stand on than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

And with that I'm out.

I about agree with this. I think that the seller should take responsibility if it's a flaw that was visible from looking into the case or if the damage occurred in transit (even inside the case), and then the seller should try to take it up with CGC or cut their losses. However, if there's a flaw in the comic that the seller had no way of detecting without opening the case, and the buyer opens the case and sees the flaw in the comic that CGC missed; then I think that the buyer should notify CGC about it and not blame or expect to return it to the seller (or get a refund). In both instances, it ultimately would be CGC's mistake, but I do think that the responsibility in dealing with the situation should depend in part on whether the comic remains encased or is removed from its case after in the buyer's possession.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, Randall Ries said:

Yes. Because it became "more" restored as it sat in the slab. IMO, once slabbed always slabbed. Crack it out and keep the label all you like. I wouldn't buy a raw book with a label in the mylar. No way it'll come back the same grade.

I'd love to see a census of all the books that have been cracked, label kept then sent in for regrading. My money would be on the bet the percentage they come back lower is higher than coming back upgraded.

I'd hope most of them would come back the same grade...  hm

On 8/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, revat said:

I don't disagree with all the sentiments posted.  But it seemed more like the OP (although he understandably was mad and may have taken action most disagree with) was just warning us that the resto check of CGC may not be as good as we all hope/think/believe it is.  In which case, thank you for the warning.  Additionally, maybe it would be nice to give us the date that the original grading/resto check occurred so maybe we'll be more careful with books graded around that time.

Thank you. That was really the main point of this thread. Graded spring 2019

Thanks for all who contributed to this thread (even my detractors 😂)

case closed. 

Edited by Courageous Cat

Sellers with a no return policy, especially on Ebay, crack me up. It means absolutely nothing on Ebay...so why bother? It makes you look shady from the get go. You don't have to offer free returns but you should always want a potential buyer to have a sense of security that you're not trying to trap them. The buyer doesn't get to hold and inspect the item before purchase so you already have them at a disadvantage.

Find me one online retailer that doesn't accept returns...ill wait. It's bad business.

That said, in this case, you cracked the slab...you own it.

That's common sense.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:35 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'd hope most of them would come back the same grade...  hm

It'd be a grand project. What would be shown for certain is a lack of consistency and uniformity. I have several graded, slabbed issues of the Adams "Strange Adventures" run. Many are 7.0 or 7.5. There are no really visible reasons why they are 7.0-7.5. They are quite attractive. Some have said to me: "YAH! But there must be somethin' goin' on INSIDE!" Know what? Bet there isn't.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, Randall Ries said:

It'd be a grand project. What would be shown for certain is a lack of consistency and uniformity. I have several graded, slabbed issues of the Adams "Strange Adventures" run. Many are 7.0 or 7.5. There are no really visible reasons why they are 7.0-7.5. They are quite attractive. Some have said to me: "YAH! But there must be somethin' goin' on INSIDE!" Know what? Bet there isn't.

hm

On 8/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, Randall Ries said:

Bet there is.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, Randall Ries said:

Can we some pics of the books? I'm curious.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:49 PM, The Lions Den said:

I do find it interesting that you think books that were graded in the 7.0 to 7.5 range would have no visible defects. If we follow that premise, the books must all be Near Mint (or better).

Perhaps the grading notes would reveal why they were graded in that range. Better yet, you could crack them out and grade them yourself. What have you got to lose except an opinion?  (shrug)

I'm not cracking them out. I bought the Strange Adventures Deadman Adams run as SS books. They are still very affordable books to begin with so the whole run as SS ups the value and most importantly the coolericity of them.

I will try to take decent photos of some of them. Telling you the truth. They look seriously undergraded.