• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So CGC SS is going to accept a COA for the Todd McFarlane King of Spawn #1
1 1

91 posts in this topic

I didn’t read the part where all unsigned copies will be destroyed, which is the only thing that would make this ok.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, revat said:

I didn’t read the part where all unsigned copies will be destroyed, which is the only thing that would make this ok.

That to me is key, and I would be surprised if McFarlane, Image, Diamond and the printer were not contractually obligated to destroy all unsigned copies.  If the only copies available are ones that a CGC rep witnessed being signed, it's hard to imagine a circumstance in which a counterfeit copy or a forged COA could make it through CGC undetected.  You don't even really need to worry about forged signatures, because all the available copies are already signed and witnessed.

It's a whole different matter if unsigned copies end up surfacing.

Edited by somewhereintexas

On 8/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, somewhereintexas said:
On 8/3/2021 at 12:54 PM, revat said:

That to me is key, and I would be surprised if McFarlane, Image, Diamond and the printer were not contractually obligated to destroy all unsigned copies.  If the only copies available are ones that a CGC rep witnessed being signed, it's hard to imagine a circumstance in which a counterfeit copy or a forged COA could make it through CGC undetected.  You don't even really need to worry about forged signatures, because all the available copies are already signed and witnessed.

It's a whole different matter if unsigned copies end up surfacing.

also would be nice if they said somewhere that the damaged copies that are returned by retailer would be destroyed, but that's at least somewhat implied.  But I'd prefer if they specifically said it.

What I have always loved about the CGC Signature Series... is its DEFINED RULES. 

No IFs, ANDs, or BUTTHEADs...

If there is a change in this process, at any point, this is wrong.

Period.

If they need to fly a CGC witness to Todd's signing, and then that witness takes possession straight to CGC, so be it... that is the only way.

Poison in the well...

I could have sworn that CGC did this with another indie book a few years ago. (Without the COA, around 2015-ish?). I can't remember the book or publisher, so Google hasn't been any help.

Anyone remember this, or do I maybe need to make an appointment with my doctor?

On 8/3/2021 at 9:20 PM, austinhg said:

I could have sworn that CGC did this with another indie book a few years ago. (Without the COA, around 2015-ish?). I can't remember the book or publisher, so Google hasn't been any help.

Anyone remember this, or do I maybe need to make an appointment with my doctor?

They did it with Ultimate All-New Spider-Man #1. Limited to 100 signed by Stan Lee. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/2355/Ultimate-Comics-Spider-Man-1/

Edited by BigD702

On 8/5/2021 at 10:50 PM, BigD702 said:

They did it with Ultimate All-New Spider-Man #1. Limited to 100 signed by Stan Lee. 

tumblr_nnld8certj1tihz8po4_500-1437070900.gif.5d851333449a05bb377b8d79193e9cff.gif1500490861_tenor-4(6).gif.b94ee68858e987801f1be48d2fee9956.gif

On 8/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, BigD702 said:

Thanks for digging this up! This wasn't the one I was thinking about, but it's still cool to see that this has happened more than a few times now.

I'll see if I can't dig through CGC news articles this weekend.

Edited by austinhg

They might have done something not quite the same for Walking Dead Lucille comic

I heard back from CGC. It makes me feel a little better that they are limiting the time frame to 30 days (I have not read that anywhere else). 

Thank you for reaching out!

While we can understand your listed concerns with this specific signing, please allow me to address how we are still ensuring the integrity of the Signature Series program.
CGC will be witnessing and documenting each one of the Todd McFarlane variants being signed in person with him. The director of Signature Series program will be there as well as a videographer to witness and record the entire signing. CGC is placing COAs made by CGC with security features with the signed books. These COAs can't be duplicated. Lastly, customers only have 30 days to turn the book back into CGC for Sig Series. After this time has passed the book will no longer be eligible for Sig Series.
Unfortunately, the tamper proof bags you mentioned have not been tested for shipping and could potentially provide shipping damage or indentations on books.

I hope this help you understand the added security of this event and the strict protocol we are following to ensure the integrity of the Signature Series program is withheld 
If there is anything further that I can help clarify for you, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help.

Edited by thesink

On 8/3/2021 at 2:54 PM, revat said:

I'm on record saying I hate the gimmick of various variant covers of modern books.

Now let me put on record that I don't like this whole gimmick of having a book cgc signature certified by sending in a coupon.

More on record...if they are destroying copies of good books I am absolutely emphatically against that.

Everything feels icky about this launch.

***Only times I hated a comic gimmick more was the "death" of Superman and the "death" of Wolverine

This is just Ebay fodder. Looking at the prices this is going for, out of reach for many collectors and not a fan of deviating from the strict CGC Signature protocols. I have many books signed over the years that I know can't be Signature Series because not witnessed and hope there's not going to be a change to CGC's policy.