• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So CGC SS is going to accept a COA for the Todd McFarlane King of Spawn #1
1 1

91 posts in this topic

Looks like the 1:250 already has been distributed, as some of the listings on eBay have pictures of an actual copy instead of stock pictures.  I asked one of the sellers why his listing still indicated an 8/25 presale, and he indicated that even though he had it in hand he needed to wait until 8/26 to ship.

On a related note, I noticed that three of the King Spawn #1 variant cover artists (Finch, Cates and Capullo) are scheduled to be at Fan Expo Dallas.

I sent my copy as soon as I got it, and its been in CGC head quarters since the 27th. I live in Miami so USPS Priority shipping got it to HQ quick, my book number is 840. This copy Knock on Wood is my best submission looking forward to seeing the grade by XMAS. I also did the Todd Father Event at CGC I believe last year and I sent in a few books three of my books got 9.8 a issue100, 200 and 301. A 30 DAY COA with a unique cover with numbers on it will be difficult to replicate within 30 days and forge a signature. Maybe add a tamper seal on the plastic cover that voids the COA but other then that I am ok with this process. 

On 8/14/2021 at 1:39 PM, rexinnih said:

This is just Ebay fodder. Looking at the prices this is going for, out of reach for many collectors and not a fan of deviating from the strict CGC Signature protocols. I have many books signed over the years that I know can't be Signature Series because not witnessed and hope there's not going to be a change to CGC's policy. 

I have my first Spawn 1 with COA that I sent in  many years ago from the initial launch of Spawn from an event at Apple Distributors or something like that. They did not accept it and actually deducted the grade for writing on the cover. I dont have the signature series I wanted but I still have my COA thats also signed by Todd Father and the Comic. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, alwaysbronze said:

so i get my book and coa and there’s a flaw in the book making it a 9.4. i go buy a 9.8 copy, forge the signature and send it to cgc with the coa. now i got a 9.8 ss book?

at least now i know not to buy a king spawn ss book.

Wont Work. the number is printed onto cover. He then hand writes which book it is.  so 1 of 1248 lets say.... the 1 is hand written and other part is printed into cover. So unless you can replicate that exact cover from which they said they will destroy any extras it will be impossible to do it in 30 days.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, revat said:

I don’t know that, but it does seem like Todd said he won’t sign anymore, which implies unsigned copies exist.

No. He has a list of books he wont sign. So these books will only gain in value and if they are not sent into CGC within 30 days the CGC books will gain even more value as those books will be unable to bare signature addition. This will be a one and done for this book. Not sure about the variants. But when I sent books into CGC last year for the Todd event it had a list of books that he wont sign. So thats how that works.

Confused. If this cover printed only comes with a legitimate Signature then where is the even slight chance of fraud?  Meaning I can’t go but this cover without a signature and sign it myself.  This cover is unique to this promotion.  I understand stand others change of command but in this case don’t understand why people think there is even a chance of fraud.  I would think since this cover printed only Exist as a SS it’s more secure then other books in slabs the old way.

On 9/2/2021 at 1:44 AM, Comic carnival said:

Confused. If this cover printed only comes with a legitimate Signature then where is the even slight chance of fraud?  Meaning I can’t go but this cover without a signature and sign it myself.  This cover is unique to this promotion.  I understand stand others change of command but in this case don’t understand why people think there is even a chance of fraud.  I would think since this cover printed only Exist as a SS it’s more secure then other books in slabs the old way.

If you check the postings and the dates of announcements of the various steps/controls taken to mitigate the fraud potential, you will see that it was not all clear from the jump.  So people had concerns.  However, it seems like they've ultimately taken steps to mitigate the fraud potentials.

With that being said, if an unsigned copy hits the market, it is a dent to the credibility of the whole process, and for those who are invested in the CGC SS situation, any dents, even small ones, are not ideal.

Edited by revat

On 9/2/2021 at 3:44 AM, Comic carnival said:

One very specific reason, chain-of-custody. CoC has always been the basis behind the security within the SS program for CGC. This breaks the CoC and now CGC is taking Diamonds word that they won’t print more. Someone unscrupulous could technically print off counterfeit copies forge Todd-fathers signature and send it in with a COA and get SS status.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, thesink said:

One very specific reason, chain-of-custody. CoC has always been the basis behind the security within the SS program for CGC. This breaks the CoC and now CGC is taking Diamonds word that they won’t print more. Someone unscrupulous could technically print off counterfeit copies forge Todd-fathers signature and send it in with a COA and get SS status.

they would have to do that all in a matter of 30 days and the time already started. IDK

On 9/4/2021 at 7:04 AM, willieblaze said:

any unsigned ones that hit the market wont matter because it's a time locked event. 

The problem is that the existence in the wild of unsigned copies lowers the credibility of the whole process 

the existence of Cgc SS is supposed to be loophole free

It has never really been loophole free.

When I wait in the witness line, on a half dozen occasions when the witness takes a group to the first signer. Those in line get them while the others wait. They proceed to the second signer while others wait. And so on. When I got my books done, I put the books in my bag (I asked first and the witness said it was okay) and we proceeded to next signer. 

We are then waiting again in a line for paperwork. I could have so easily cheated the system by adding fake signed books to my pile.

This wasn't the case on a few occasions when the convention was slow and was one on one with the witness, but there can be some dishonesty in the process. Just saying. 

On 9/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

It has never really been loophole free.

When I wait in the witness line, on a half dozen occasions when the witness takes a group to the first signer. Those in line get them while the others wait. They proceed to the second signer while others wait. And so on. When I got my books done, I put the books in my bag (I asked first and the witness said it was okay) and we proceeded to next signer. 

We are then waiting again in a line for paperwork. I could have so easily cheated the system by adding fake signed books to my pile.

This wasn't the case on a few occasions when the convention was slow and was one on one with the witness, but there can be some dishonesty in the process. Just saying. 

I agree with you, and they should crackdown on witness’ (even their own) not following the procedure instead of adding more possibilities of manipulation.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:44 AM, Comic carnival said:

When human people are involved there is ALWAYS a chance for fraud. Lying, stealing, cheating, manipulating since the beginning of time. Always has been and always will be.

Most perpetrators of fraud will work even harder when folks start chanting it's "foolproof" or "unbeatable".

On 9/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, somewhereintexas said:

I just looked at the census, and there are 13 9.8 and 1 9.6 "universal" (blue label) copies of the 1:250.  If that's not a clerical error, then all the unsigned copies were not destroyed like they were supposed to be.

shocking

On 9/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, somewhereintexas said:

I just looked at the census, and there are 13 9.8 and 1 9.6 "universal" (blue label) copies of the 1:250.  If that's not a clerical error, then all the unsigned copies were not destroyed like they were supposed to be.

Either QA/QC failed or the SS program failed.