• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining value and rarity of Copper Newsstands
2 2

49 posts in this topic

Most of my collection that I purchased new was from local comic book stores or regular book stores that offered comics along with all the other books they had. I was a weekly shopper but even so I would miss some releases of comics I really wanted. Not sure how I figured it out but in So Cal. the newsstand copies came out about a week after the direct editions. Never occurred to me that they would be rarer. I did know it was difficult pulling nice copies so I got around that by finding out when the local news stand got in their comics. I told the owner I would spend a minimum of $20 if I could open the stacks. He agreed so I also put them out on the spinners too.

So my questions this: how rare are newsstands from this age and what sort of premium do you place on them over a direct edition?

I just got this PWJ #1 9.8 back from CGC and there are no recent sales of newsstand copies. What's it worth?

Thanks

IMG_1577.JPG

There’s no hard fast rules.  The more in demand the comic is initially, I would say the larger the premium.  But it depends on demand, grade, rarity of comic and newsstand, title, luck, a million things.  But that is very general and depends as much on luck as a untying else. 
 Just do whatever research you think is appropriate (comparable titles or issues or “key level”, allow for offers to be made), and do your best.  

On 8/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, mytastebud said:

Most of my collection that I purchased new was from local comic book stores or regular book stores that offered comics along with all the other books they had. I was a weekly shopper but even so I would miss some releases of comics I really wanted. Not sure how I figured it out but in So Cal. the newsstand copies came out about a week after the direct editions. Never occurred to me that they would be rarer. I did know it was difficult pulling nice copies so I got around that by finding out when the local news stand got in their comics. I told the owner I would spend a minimum of $20 if I could open the stacks. He agreed so I also put them out on the spinners too.

So my questions this: how rare are newsstands from this age and what sort of premium do you place on them over a direct edition?

I just got this PWJ #1 9.8 back from CGC and there are no recent sales of newsstand copies. What's it worth?

Thanks

IMG_1577.JPG

Yea it seems to be predominatly about the demand of the book first. Then secondly the grade and rarity and as you get further past the 1987 tipping point rarity starts to be more important and grade a little less important.

Many eBay sellers and seemingly most auction houses rarely if ever make any mention of Newsstand thus sampling likley too tiny to be a valid mechanism for historical sales.

It's strictly eye of beholder type stuff.  I know of other collectors like myself who prefer a book the way they remember having it back in the day.  I'm willing to pay a small amount extra (roughly 10% max and only if Marvel - DC's pretty much look the same) if I had the newsstand back in the day but that's as far as it goes.  Conversely if I had a direct sale when I was young I want a direct sale now.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/1/2021 at 11:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

Many eBay sellers and seemingly most auction houses rarely if ever make any mention of Newsstand thus sampling likley too tiny to be a valid mechanism for historical sales.

It's strictly eye of beholder type stuff.  I know of other collectors like myself who prefer a book the way they remember having it back in the day. I'm willing to pay a small amount extra (roughly 10% max) on those but that's as far as it goes. 

While i could be wrong I think newsstand over direct has already reached it's niche zenith.  Seems to me the 1st app and or 1st issue "social media crowd" buys based strictly on the number printed on label anyhow. Not concerning themselves with silly things like artists, newsstand, White or Off-white page quality, color vibrancy, gloss levels, or any facet of the look of the book in the slab. As long as they are driving copper through modern sales and speculations i don't see that changing.

I don't believe newsstand have reached their zenith, i actually believe they are picking up steam. Key point, GPA is finally listing newsstand sales, and who knows maybe CGC will start labeling newsstand designation. There are a lot of comics that are hard to find newsstands, DC in fact are hard to find newsstand. Newsstand topics are starting to pick up even here on the CGC boards. So i don't see this dying down any time soon.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Dmac538 said:

I don't believe newsstand have reached their zenith, i actually believe they are picking up steam. Key point, GPA is finally listing newsstand sales, and who knows maybe CGC will start labeling newsstand designation. There are a lot of comics that are hard to find newsstands, DC in fact are hard to find newsstand. Newsstand topics are starting to pick up even here on the CGC boards. So i don't see this dying down any time soon.

Time will tell. It will be interesting if breaks that way, given the social media 1st app and 1st issue speculators buy the label not the book crowd still won't care :)

BTW collectors of the newsstand might want to keep it quiet if they believe it's picking up steam in an effort to keep prices down while they buy stuff up.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/1/2021 at 4:34 PM, mytastebud said:

So my questions this: how rare are newsstands from this age

They aren't.

and what sort of premium do you place on them over a direct edition?

Zero.

Whatever some hype-swallowing sucker will pay.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:35 PM, Subby1938 said:

In 9.8 they are tough some are rare . Throw in price variant to boot and you can get some htf comics . 

GIJOE 21 Canadian variant 9.8 ghost 

Swamp Thing ( 1st Constantine Canadian ) zero in census in 9.8

I've sent a bunch of Canadian Newsstands the past 3 years and even though I filled our submissions 100% correct, they still came back without the proper designations on the label :(

I also have talked with several other collectors and have seen posts in the Canadian Newsstand topic who have said same thing - appears getting the correct label notation is a roll of the dice.

IMHO don't be a trustin' the CGC census on Canadian Newsstands

Here are the 3 for which I have scans, all  were submitted Nov 2019 - what kills me is not only were my submission forms 100% correct but on the Supergirl it clearly says Canadian right on the book itself!

P.S. While I'm not a Canadian Newsstand Collector at a Fall 2019 con I came across a very friendly dealer (name eludes me at moment - sorry man) who had near a kiloton of them raw. So I picked up a bunch I thought were really nice on a lark then started to sub them to CGC.  

Supergirl-Daring1_Canadian_9.8.jpg

GhostRider81_Canadian_9.8.jpg

Crisis1-Canadian-9.8.jpg

P.S. While I'm not a Canadian Newsstand Collector at a Fall 2019 con I came across a very friendly deale (name eludes me at moment - sorry man) who had a near kiloton of them raw. So I picked up a bunch I thought were really nice on a lark then started to sent sub them to CGC.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, MAR1979 said:

Time will tell. It will be interesting if breaks that way, given the social media 1st app and 1st issue speculators buy the label not the book crowd still won't care :)

The clueless social media speculators are regularly getting eyefuls of newsstand hype. Where do you think the (relatively) recent price increases came from?

On 8/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, Lazyboy said:

The clueless social media speculators are regularly getting eyefuls of newsstand hype. Where do you think the (relatively) recent price increases came from?

Did not know that. That does splain things. Thanks 4 schoolin' me. Guess I'm clueless about the clueless. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/2/2021 at 3:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've sent a bunch of Canadian Newsstands the past 3 years and even though I filled our submissions 100% correct, they still came back without the proper designations on the label :(

I also have talked with several other collectors and have seen posts in the Canadian Newsstand topic who have said same thing - appears getting the correct label notation is a roll of the dice.

IMHO don't be a trustin' the CGC census on Canadian Newsstands

Here are the 3 for which I have scans, all  were submitted Nov 2019 - what kills me is not only were my submission forms 100% correct but on the Supergirl it clearly says Canadian right on the book itself!

P.S. While I'm not a Canadian Newsstand Collector at a Fall 2019 con I came across a very friendly deal (name eludes me at moment - sorry man) who had near a kiloton of them raw. So I picked up a bunch I thought were really nice on a lark then started to sent sub them to CGC.  

Supergirl-Daring1_Canadian_9.8.jpg

GhostRider81_Canadian_9.8.jpg

Crisis1-Canadian-9.8.jpg

P.S. While I'm not a Canadian Newsstand Collector at a Fall 2019 con I came across a very friendly deal (name eludes me at moment - sorry man) who had near a kiloton of them raw. So I picked up a bunch I thought were really nice on a lark then started to sent sub them to CGC.

You in can trust this . They are 1% of total run . I live here . In Canada you had three major city hubs for comics , Vancouver , Toronto , Montreal . Finding high grade 9.8 Canadians is next to impossible . Hence the major major premiums keys get . 

You don’t have to collect Canadian but if it was hulk 181 variant it would be all the rage 

I’m too OCD not to try and fill in the gaps between newsstand and direct editions of my collections. I hate it though.

That being said, I do find newsstand editions much more difficult to find, even for 80s books. I wouldn’t be surprised if the newsstand editions begin to rise in value above the direct. As of now, both are pretty simpatico.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:53 PM, Subby1938 said:

You in can absolutely not trust this . They are 1% of total run . I live here . In Canada you had three major city hubs for comics , Vancouver , Toronto , Montreal .

:roflmao:

:screwy:

Fixed.