• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining value and rarity of Copper Newsstands
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, mytastebud said:

Most of my collection that I purchased new was from local comic book stores or regular book stores that offered comics along with all the other books they had. I was a weekly shopper but even so I would miss some releases of comics I really wanted. Not sure how I figured it out but in So Cal. the newsstand copies came out about a week after the direct editions. Never occurred to me that they would be rarer. I did know it was difficult pulling nice copies so I got around that by finding out when the local news stand got in their comics. I told the owner I would spend a minimum of $20 if I could open the stacks. He agreed so I also put them out on the spinners too.

So my questions this:  (1) how rare are newsstands from this age and  (2) what sort of premium do you place on them over a direct edition?

I just got this PWJ #1 9.8 back from CGC and there are no recent sales of newsstand copies. (3) What's it worth?

Thanks

IMG_1577.JPG

1. From this age? Not rare at all. Maybe a little tougher in uber high grade but not rare at all. I would argue that there are MORE newsstands than direct sale copies from this age.
2. Me personally? Almost nothing for a "common" book like this. Maybe a little for a key. The market is bouncing newsstands at about 15% higher across the board. That is a function of hucksters and shady dealers pumping them.
3. At 15% above GPA, so figure about $225.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, Subby1938 said:

What difference does it make . A cgc 9.8 newsstand wether Canadian or US is hard to come by bro. That’s that . What’s your point here ? I’m clearly right on the matter . The prices show this and unfortunately the census doesn’t count them but not many compared to direct in 9.8. Lower grade newsstands are not rare . Actually easy to find but not in grade . 

From what era? 1980s 9.8 US cover priced newsstands are neither hard to come by nor rare. They are being hyped as such by hucksters and charlatans with an agenda.

Canadians might be but even that is suspect.

The prices do not show rarity, the prices show the market price on an item.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, FlyingDonut said:

1. From this age? Not rare at all. Maybe a little tougher in uber high grade but not rare at all. I would argue that there are MORE newsstands than direct sale copies from this age.
2. Me personally? Almost nothing for a "common" book like this. Maybe a little for a key. The market is bouncing newsstands at about 15% higher across the board. That is a function of hucksters and shady dealers pumping them.
3. At 15% above GPA, so figure about $225.

Nothing to do with hucksters . Market is correct on 9.8s in newsstand version and price variant newsstands get 50% over reg cover Direct copies . Those are numbers I don’t set market the buyers do . It’s been climbing for a number of years. As for hucksters look no further than scummy dealers out there milking every penny off customers . They invented the word. 

Apparently "done" doesn't mean what it used to. :sick:

Anyway, it is still impossible to separate the true Newsstand market from the misinformation-based hype from shady clowns and the speculators who swallow it whole.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, Subby1938 said:

As for hucksters look no further than scummy dealers out there milking every penny off customers

Like Mile High? Which, coincidentally (lol:roflmao:) is one of the biggest pushers of Newsstands?