• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulpfest 2021
6 6

50 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Bookery said:

They are, except for a handful of issues, not all that hard to come by.  You have to have a certain availability to create viable demand

I'm curious if you know the print run estimates for WT across the different eras? I vaguely remember (with absolutely no evidence, so it could have been a dream) an estimate of ~50k. Given what I've gleaned from quick research, Weird Tales was constantly in dire financial straits so probably couldn't have supported a massive print run at any point in its history. For comparison, it looks like Action #1 had a print run ~200,000 which eventually reached ~1 million per month. 

## WARNING: Begin nerdy rant ##

There's a concept in economics called "velocity of money", essentially the number of times a piece of currency goes through the economy in a given time period. For comics, it feels like the "velocity" is very high as the same comic may be sold multiple times in a given year. That seems to be driven by a number of factors including: 1) enough supply to create viable demand (as @Bookery pointed out), 2) transparency into the product quality (CGC grading), and 3) price discovery (lots of publicly visible transactions). In Pulps, your guide + eBay + these auctions help with price discovery (even if some Auction prices seem whacky, part of why we know they're whacky is we have other price data points), CGC appears to be around the corner with grading to standardize quality....so the final question is around supply...

## End nerdy rant ##

-Matt

Edited by asimovpulps
typos

I had a ride and room arranged but my pall wanted to stay a full week... with my vehicle troubles, I just couldn't swing that much. 

Nice wall Todd. What are your asks and grades on the Brundage Weird Tales ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This is the 64K question. I'm sure Black Masks would do very well, especially any with well known Noir names or GGA covers. If/when CGC gets to actually getting slabs out on the market, I suspect any genre with GGA art covers or bizarre covers of any kind would be of interest due to the cover-centric nature of graded books. I imagine that, like comics before them, there would be very sharp rises in prices at ultra high grades, which is what we're witnessing in the auctions over the last 2 years. I think a lot of the market would look like the comic market, with westerns and other genre's that don't have current interest lagging and mostly not getting graded unless super high grade. I could see interest in war/battle covers in the aviation pulps. I could see old staples like The Shadow and Doc Savage being softer because of the lack of GGA and bondage/torture covers and eventually being surpassed by others like The Spider because of the inclusion of same. I see Sci-Fi as steady and probably will be dictated by whether the market gets big enough to dry up the supply because Sci Fi collectors saved everything unlike most other genre's. Pure speculation here but based on what I've seen in comics since CGC opened. 2c    Weird Tales is the sweet spot for sure for all the reasons stated.

I understand what you’re saying about the weird menace type of covers that the Spider has that will be more appealing to some people.

You might have the odd Spider surpass a Shadow or Doc Savage from 1935-38, if it’s a key cover

However in general the Spider will never come anywhere close to the values of the Shadow or Doc Savage, especially in the early issues (It would be like a lightweight compared to two heavyweights, no contest).  

Note:  There are many projects in the works for the Shadow with Condé Nast right now.

Edited by detective35

Personally, I prefer the Spider over The Shadow or Doc. I am primarily a cover collector in the pulp domain. The Spider has much better covers book for book than the other two. 

I don’t actually read a lot of my pulps but I do read all the Spiders. Very dark and twisted similar to PCH comics. 

I would think that in our cover driven hobby, that the Spiders would get the edge once slabbed. There are a number of classic Shadow covers but not many Docs. 

On 8/20/2021 at 11:58 PM, detective35 said:

However in general the Spider will never come anywhere close to the values of the Shadow or Doc Savage, especially in the early issues (It would be like a lightweight compared to two heavyweights, no contest). 

A year ago, I would have agreed with you, hands down.  But looking at recent auctions, it looks like The Spider is rapidly pulling ahead.  It's all down to the covers, I think; and just in general the more sedate covers on Street & Smith aren't going to be in as high demand.  We're seeing that on Astounding SF as well.

Once you start looking at first appearances, the Shadows & Doc Savages will definitely continue to be the higher demand books, I think.  But for the bulk of the run covers will rule.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:40 AM, Robot Man said:

Personally, I prefer the Spider over The Shadow or Doc. I am primarily a cover collector in the pulp domain. The Spider has much better covers book for book than the other two. 

I don’t actually read a lot of my pulps but I do read all the Spiders. Very dark and twisted similar to PCH comics. 

I would think that in our cover driven hobby, that the Spiders would get the edge once slabbed. There are a number of classic Shadow covers but not many Docs. 

It will be like when the focus shifted from GA to SA and the old guard couldn't understand why an issue of ASM could outsell an All American. Markets evolve and there will be growing pains .... and when the dollars start marching in, nothing will be sacred any longer. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/21/2021 at 12:47 PM, jimjum12 said:

and when the dollars start marching in, nothing will be sacred any longer.

I agree with detective35 and the others that the 1st issues and very early classic covers will hold their own but as mentioned, when comic books started getting slabbed, covers ruled and old favorites fell to the side while crazy and/or classic covers ran up. Look at Shadow and Doc Savage GA comic books - there are quite a few and the earlies are pretty good money but all of them pale in comparison to crazy cover PCH (or any crazy cover esoteric hero) that were very cheap stuff in the 1970's when Shadow & Doc Savage GA already had a solid price point in the hobby as "classic" runs. I just suspect $labbed $ will be looking for and running prices on the bondage, good girl and weird/esoteric covers.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, catrick339 said:

First four are my booth, the rest are some seriously cool vendors.

Nice to see Vintage paperbacks, hardbacks and all those cool pulps!  :golfclap: It looks like the kind of selections that I used to see at local comic shows in NYC in the 80's & 90's before most comic shows became "everything else except comics and books" lol

Edited by Surfing Alien