• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scratches/scuffs on cases of returned graded cards

9 posts in this topic

Is anyone else having an issue with their graded cards coming back with scraped and scuffed cases? I had an order of 9 cards recently returned and of the 9, 7 of the cases were damaged. I contacted customer service who was super friendly and helpful and instructed me to send them back so CGC can rehold them. It's been almost a week now since they were received and they're still "Scheduled for Grading". No clue when I'll get those cards back. And now, I get an order of 12 cards back and immediately, after taking them out of the box, see heavy damages to 3 cards (including a chipped corner!!) and upon further examination, realized that they all have scratches and scuffing on the cases. I highly doubt the cards are leaving the CGC facility this way. They're damaged while in transit back to customer. I am super disappointed that I will have to return these, too. I read in another post that CGC did extensive ship-testing and the new boxes perform better than the old ones, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. The cards should be packed safe and secure enough to be able to sustain a 5 mile, 50 mile, 500 mile, or in my case 2500 mile trip back to the customer in the exact same condition it left in. 

The damages are hard to capture with a camera, but here are videos of the damage I mention. The darker looking areas on the backs of the cards are damage. https://imgur.com/a/IsfYu58

On 8/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Vrishnak said:

34 of my 49 Bulk submission have some form of scuff/scratch on the face of the slab. They shipped to me in cardboard dividers. I now have to return these to CGC after waiting 6 months to have them graded.

20210825_165719.jpg

They are still using this shipping method? Wow.... CGC go back to the foam insert already and put them on both sides..... The more problems you have to fix the more you get behind... 34 slabs getting replaced off one submission...

Here are 4 of my recent economy returns. 16 of 33 have scuffs of the front card area. Should I contact them, or is this the new "normal" ?
Hard to take pics of scuff marks, but with the light to the side, you can see them clearly.
I would have gladly paid for these to be sent in graded card bags. Some are worth hundreds, and it would have been worth it to me to pay for some extra protective care.
That cardboard divider has a rough texture and can slide up and down in the box if the box is turned over. It's no wonder slabs are coming back scuffed up.

Charm1st.JPG

DkGy1st.JPG

DkTy1st.JPG

erikasDr.JPG

On 8/26/2021 at 1:22 AM, poke_naynay said:

I've had great success using something called Plastic-X.  I use a kleenix and rub it in very hard, and then use a cloth with windex to polish the Plastic-X off.  Cleans off 99% of the scratches like this

As a customer,  we shouldn't have to being that.... but thank you for your input! I'm sure it will help people