• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Base Set Population Growth Report | 1st Ed. - Shadowless - Unlimited - Gapless |

15 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Base Set PGR(Population Growth Report)

This thread is a Weekly Updated Thread covering all 4 Variants(1st Ed, Shadowless, Unlimited and Gapless) of Base Sets PSA Population Growth Updated every Tuesday.
PGRs are slightly different from looking at today's Population Report because it tracks/records Base Set Holos Populations over time.
By doing so we can see the growth of these cards. Anyone is free to share/copy info shared here.

A sincere THANK YOU to CGC for allowing this thread to exist in their forums. When CGC launches their Pop Reports, I will be doing a separate PGR for CGC.

Quick Guide on how to read my spreadsheets.

The First Set of Columns are the CURRENT Population.

The Second Set of Columns are what was ADDED for the week.

The Third Set of Columns are the DIFFERENCE ADDED from the previous week.

PSA Totals: PSA Totals Link | PSA 9: PSA 9 Link | PSA 10: PSA 10 Link

PSA Population Report Archive: Google Drive Folder

If anyone has any questions, just DM as usual :)

Aug 9th-16th 2021 Update

PSA Totals
809_816.PSATotal.thumb.jpg.03ff7ddbeb1e880446e95a10fed25a01.jpg

PSA 9
809_816_PSA9.thumb.jpg.fedc6036eab4743ebafad7609093b42a.jpg

PSA 10
809_816.PSA10.thumb.jpg.2481da99dc94f04e4599aeda307a1882.jpg

Edited by Toybot

I'll take suggestions on everything but Terminology. 4th/Uk Print are wrong, Base 2000 was taken 20 years ago by Base Set 2, and 1999-2000 is a stale name. Gapless is here to stay :)

Also for anyone who isn't a fan of things like colors(no matter what changes I do or don't make) can copy and paste the spreadsheet into their own and change things around.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:16 PM, Toybot said:

I'll take suggestions on everything but Terminology. 4th/Uk Print are wrong, Base 2000 was taken 20 years ago by Base Set 2, and 1999-2000 is a stale name. Gapless is here to stay :)

Also for anyone who isn't a fan of things like colors(no matter what changes I do or don't make) can copy and paste the spreadsheet into their own and change things around.

What does gapless mean....and which Charizard is harder to find in a higher grade 1st edition or Shadowless? 

Edited by TrayKnight

On 8/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, TrayKnight said:

What does gapless mean....and which Charizard is harder to find in a higher grade 1st edition or Shadowless? 

The 8th and final print run of Base Set was a very special print run. It's commonly referred to as "4th Print" or "UK Print" which both are wrong.

If you look at the bottom copyright text, you will find Gaps between Illus. and Set Number in Unlimited but to fit the "-2000", the Gaps were removed, thus Gapless.

20210726_132700.thumb.jpg.bdcdddd9419040d759bdbaadbee1f060.jpg

20210726_132648.thumb.jpg.db6095fea9269d378413d42ad5508c66.jpg

20210726_132638.thumb.jpg.89b51e8593e97b01f0c22e88990adf5e.jpg

As far as which is rarer, I would personally wait and see. This is when we would started to see Bulk Submissions from Oct. onward be graded and released.

In the case of Charizard 10's, I believe Gapless for many reasons. 2nd would be shadowless but Gary owns like half of them.

Outside 10's is a different story. Still Gapless is the most rare by far but between 1st Ed. and Shadowless, 1st Ed. seems more rare. There's just less totals for 1st Ed. vs Shaodwless.

There's just almost twice as many Shadowless being Graded consistently. I would recommend checking the full spreadsheet.

Edited by Toybot

If you look up Pokemon Base Set 4th Print  on ebay you get 599 results currently in active listings. If you look up Pokemon base set 1999-2000 you get 1,110 results in active listings. If you look up Pokemon Base Set Gapless you get 0 results currently in active listings and 0 in sold listings. NOBODY calls it Gapless besides you.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, sellerservicescorp said:

If you look up Pokemon Base Set 4th Print  on ebay you get 599 results currently in active listings. If you look up Pokemon base set 1999-2000 you get 1,110 results in active listings. If you look up Pokemon Base Set Gapless you get 0 results currently in active listings and 0 in sold listings. NOBODY calls it Gapless besides you.

That's cool. 

Why should I follow everyone else in being wrong?

You go ahead and do that, I'll go do me.

Edited by Toybot

4th print has separate dates 1999-2000 that differentiates them from the other version, there's no need to term it 'gapless' that just causes more confusion, especially by your need to show 3 separate pictures circling 8 circles when you can just show 2 cards and just circle the dates on the bottom, or am I missing something.

I think calling the 8th Print "4th Print" is confusing. The person who termed it 4th Print regrets it after finding out there were 8 Prints of Base Set. But people continue to want to be wrong which is ok, there's many of us switching to a better term. I get DMs from people liking Gapless but are scared of people pushing their wrong terms so aggressively they don't say anything.

The circles are not for the dates. It's to show the Gap difference the dates created.

Edited by Toybot

On 8/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, Toybot said:

I think calling the 8th Print "4th Print" is confusing. The person who termed it 4th Print regrets it after finding out there were 8 Prints of Base Set. But people continue to want to be wrong which is ok, there's many of us switching to a better term. I get DMs from people liking Gapless but are scared of people pushing their wrong terms so aggressively they don't say anything.

The circles are not for the dates. It's to show the Gap difference the dates created.

I'm guessing people really could careless about the changes after the 1st to 2nd prints.

At that point they're just meaningless changes. Just my 2c