• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #10 w/Stan Lee signature on page 1
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I have a friend that  has FF 1-200 w/1-10 signed by Stan Lee, he gathered the signatures himself at a show back in '86. He recently asked me to help him sell them as he knows I've done the grading-selling thing on ebay. The signatures are at the bottom of page 1, not on the cover, see attached. I don't know why, but there it is. I didn't know they were not on the cover.

So any suggestions on getting the signature authenticated and the issue graded? An selling advice?

I believe CGC would not authenticate the signature under these condition.

Is the signature actually going to add any value to the comic books?

Thanks

DSCN0026.JPG

Personally, I wouldn't grade them. 

I know that's blasphemy, but once it's in a tomb, you'll never see Stan's signature again. 

There may be some money left on the table without having it graded, but it feels unfortunate to lock away the signature. 

Any yes, as @Lightning55 mentioned, it use to be common practice to sign the splash page. 

Very cool collection and let us know how it goes! 

On 8/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, El-Gato said:

I have a friend that  has FF 1-200 w/1-10 signed by Stan Lee, he gathered the signatures himself at a show back in '86. He recently asked me to help him sell them as he knows I've done the grading-selling thing on ebay. The signatures are at the bottom of page 1, not on the cover, see attached. I don't know why, but there it is. I didn't know they were not on the cover.

So any suggestions on getting the signature authenticated and the issue graded? An selling advice?

I believe CGC would not authenticate the signature under these condition.

Is the signature actually going to add any value to the comic books?

Thanks

DSCN0026.JPG

Looks legit to me. I’d buy them raw and not care for any authentication and slabbing (but that’s just me). Assuming you slab them, I would suggest having your friend take a photo of each page that is signed so that can be shown and passed on to the new owner(s). It was very typical for books to be signed on the splash page back then just as an author would sign the inside cover of a hard bound novel. Third party grading has changed that perspective. 

Edited by Primetime

I have to agree with what others have said, I'd leave them raw. I'm a bit biased on that topic though, as I have bought many graded books and cracked them all out. For me it's about recapturing childhood memories, and raw books were what I had as a child.  
I'd love to see some pics of the set, I'm sure others would as well.
As far as selling advice goes, I never sell anything so I'm not the one to ask, but perhaps getting the sigs authenticated and selling 1-10 as a lot through a reputable seller/auction house might be a good approach (I only say that because I like the idea of getting all the matching sigs together in one swing, they would probably bring in more sold individually though, but what do I know).