• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hong Kong Phooey #1
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Asking for a very dear friend:  given Charlton's notoriously spotty quality control, and the fact that it was a kiddie/cartoon comic, does this book exist on the open market these days in 9.0 or better (raw)?  I have my doubts, but will leave it to the experts.

Thanks!

Edited by jools&jim

I am sure there are still raw copies out there in 9.0 + raw it is just one of those that will either be a random find, a high price that drives them out, or someone liquidating their collection.  

Best copy I have seen so far was @seanfingh has ( or used to have) a CGC 9.6.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am sure there are still raw copies out there in 9.0 + raw it is just one of those that will either be a random find, a high price that drives them out, or someone liquidating their collection.  

I have subbed so many Charltons, including a Great Grape Ape #1 that got a 9.8. But that Hong Kong Phooey is the nicest Charlton I ever subbed. I honestly can't remember if I still have it or not. I may go look for it . . .

On 8/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, seanfingh said:

I have subbed so many Charltons, including a Great Grape Ape #1 that got a 9.8. But that Hong Kong Phooey is the nicest Charlton I ever subbed. I honestly can't remember if I still have it or not. I may go look for it . . .

I remember seeing it before.  Been a long time and that is why when I saw this thread , I definitely thought it was worth a mention as it was a beautiful copy.. (thumbsu

On 8/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, seanfingh said:
On 8/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It's still on your myslabbedcomics page

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=6920&GSub=626

On 8/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, Jeffro. said:

My whole main collection is still on MSC. That doesn't have any bearing on whether I still have it or not.

Sucka.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, seanfingh said:
On 8/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, Jeffro. said:

My whole main collection is still on MSC. That doesn't have any bearing on whether I still have it or not.

Sucka.

If you don't then sucks to be you

I had wanted a High grade Hanna-Barbara Charlton, but only to have one as type thing. Other than Scooby the demand is pretty near zero on the Cartoon Charlton's and I don't see that changing.

After I picked this up I had my High-Grade Hanna Charlton and moved on. Man, Dino is the wrong color, Pebbles and Wilma look as chunky as Fred, these Hanna Charlton's were some cheap stuff.
Dino1.jpg.9ddb7234da9cdedde935b49deee5a5a1.jpg

I see mine was https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=6923&GSub=626

@seanfingh please remove from your MySlab gallery - Thanks Man!

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/22/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jeffro. said:

Underdog 1 seems to be desired. 

My comment was pretty much geared at the mid 70's Hanna Charlton's as mentioned in my first  sentence but yeah not 100% clear on second sentence.

"I had wanted a High grade Hanna-Barbara Charlton, but only to have one as type thing. Other than Scooby the demand is pretty near zero on the Cartoon Charlton's and I don't see that changing. "

Yes, Agreed on Underdog same to some degree with the Underdog Gold Key run.  Underdog was issued by Charlton 1970/1971 before their product went from low budget to an even more super-cheaper endeavor.

I feel the Underdog art was really nice. All Charlton issues I believe were drawn by Frank Johnson of 1970's "Boner's Ark" fame as well as Beetle Bailey "ghost artist" for much of the 1960's

Underdog #8

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/20/2021 at 3:54 PM, MAR1979 said:

I had wanted a High grade Hanna-Barbara Charlton, but only to have one as type thing. Other than Scooby the demand is pretty near zero on the Cartoon Charlton's and I don't see that changing.

After I picked this up I had my High-Grade Hanna Charlton and moved on. Man, Dino is the wrong color, Pebbles and Wilma look as chunky as Fred, these Hanna Charlton's were some cheap stuff.
Dino1.jpg.9ddb7234da9cdedde935b49deee5a5a1.jpg

I see mine was https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=6923&GSub=626

@seanfingh please remove from your MySlab gallery - Thanks Man!

I'm not removing anything.  I bought it from Jeff. I slabbed it and I owned it for years.  That gallery is how I enjoy and remember the books that I no longer own.  If you want to register it to the registry and I need to release it to do that, I am happy to.  That is an image of my book that I created when it was my book.