• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Subgrading vs Main Grade Explanation

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, fairly new to getting cards graded and was just curious about something in my recent order. 

I was just a little confused about the grade a pokemon card receives vs the subgrades. I was thinking the card is graded from adding the subgrades up and dividing the amount by the amount of subgrades there are which is 4. Is that the case with CGC or the subgrades don't influence the main grade the card receives? 
I was just double checking the cards I got back a couple weeks ago and was confused.

For an example, one of my charizards subs are 9, 7.5, 8.5, 7.5 and the card graded 7.5 

Appreciate it if anyone can just explain the process of it to me

Thank you

On 8/9/2021 at 7:18 PM, nickcena said:

Hi guys, fairly new to getting cards graded and was just curious about something in my recent order. 

I was just a little confused about the grade a pokemon card receives vs the subgrades. I was thinking the card is graded from adding the subgrades up and dividing the amount by the amount of subgrades there are which is 4. Is that the case with CGC or the subgrades don't influence the main grade the card receives? 
I was just double checking the cards I got back a couple weeks ago and was confused.

For an example, one of my charizards subs are 9, 7.5, 8.5, 7.5 and the card graded 7.5 

Appreciate it if anyone can just explain the process of it to me

Thank you

if the lowest 2 sub grades are the same, that is the overall grade of the card

A card with scores of 1, 8,9,9 does not get a 6.75, it gets a 2....  1 point above the lowest grade IF the next grade is a point higher AND the other two are at least 1.5 higher.  Once you have a lowest score of an 8, then most it can go is .5 higher (except in rare situations where the 8 is centering, you could get a 9).  2 identical low grades make the card overall that grade.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, Rufuss C. Kingston said:

A card with scores of 1, 8,9,9 does not get a 6.75, it gets a 2....  1 point above the lowest grade IF the next grade is a point higher AND the other two are at least 1.5 higher.  Once you have a lowest score of an 8, then most it can go is .5 higher (except in rare situations where the 8 is centering, you could get a 9).  2 identical low grades make the card overall that grade.

Bingo. I have a detailed explanation of this somewhere on this forum, you can check my comment history to try and find it but like Kingston says, once you get to an overall grade of 8.5 your lowest possible sub grade can be .5 below that, meaning all subgrades need to be 8 or higher. 

but there are plenty of CGC 8’s with a 7 subgrade which is 1 full point below the overall grade.

8.5’s are underrated because of that .5 allowance, in my opinion.