• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Super Special - Why No Direct Editions Except #18?

5 posts in this topic

Just been sifting through this title in my ongoing attempt to catalogue all Marvel newsstand variants. Marvel mags generally go to direct and newsstand variants with 10/81 cover date (a bit later than standard size comics). Marvel Super Special returns after a gap in publication with #18 and is published around that time (though muddies the water a little by only having the year printed and no month). Going by the published on sale date it looks like it is the first Marvel magazine to have a direct edition, BUT it then reverts to barcoded covers only for the rest of the run leaving #18 the only one with a direct variant (and hence the only one with a newsstand variant which is the main purpose of the research!)

So, I am wondering what was different about this magazine? Did comic shops stock it? Or have to order it on different terms? Was it on the newsstands in the USA (I'm in the UK so have no knowledge of that!)

I pondered on the same questions in the Epic Illustrated thread, as that title likewise has no direct variants (the blank UPC #11 could be just an error). Anecdotal evidence suggests that Epic had wider mainstream distribution, and maybe that's the case too with MSS being mainly film adaptations that would be of interest to the wider public.

There is obviously something different with these titles! Crazy, Bizarre Adventures and Savage Sword all fall into the regular pattern of direct and newsstand from 10/81 cover date but these two titles don't. I would love to understand more, if there is anyone who worked in comic shops in the USA in the early '80s and remembers if they stocked them, or did they order them through the same channels as their direct comics and mags.

I'm hoping to catalogue all the variants but more than just make a list, as I'd like to be able to put everything in context of the times... in other words when changes were made (or not made) what were the reasons for that in relation to the marketplace at the time.

Super Special was never on a regular schedule, an issue came out when they had something to publish.  After issue 11-13 with Weirdworld that was always movie adaptations.

Almost all the content from Super Special 14-up appeared in comic format as well, generally a limited series.  As far as I know the only issues that didn't get a near-simultaneous comic version are 14 (Meteor), 17 (Xanadu), 25 (Rock & Rule), 26 (Octopussy), and 39 (Santa Claus: The Movie).  So it seems the magazine was mostly aimed at the newsstand, with comic format for the comic shops.

Interesting thanks, of course the comic format ones had direct and NS editions too, I wonder if they actually designated the mags as newsstand only does that mean the comic shops would not be able to order them even if they wanted them.... ie. it simply didn't appear on their direct sales order forms? (someone must still have copies those order forms somewhere given the hoarding mentality of comic collectors!)

NOTHING was cooler than issue #1 with real KISS blood in it...trust me that was a day to remember. When I found it on the spinner rack I was literally shaking....It is hands down a HUGE memory book for me. At one time I know I had a 9.8 copy...the 1st spinner rack copy...long gone but I do own a different copy. If only CGC would let me do a Scotty Young Doctor Doom label on it I would do it in a heart beat...Steve Gerber wrote it and I loved it. P.S. HOWARD THE DUCK FOR PRESIDENT! NUFF' SAID!