• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The All time Sword and Sorcery thread
1 1

166 posts in this topic

Yeah, from what I recall, Claw started out as a blatant Conan me-too, right down to the artwork by Ernie Chan.  But towards the end of the run it morphed into a more cosmic, inter-dimensional fantasy, with some very early Keith Giffen artwork.  Might be worth a re-read.  hm

Edited by Zonker

On 8/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, namisgr said:

Yep.  Overstreet at least used to consider '85 as the cutoff between Bronze and Copper ages (I haven't bought a guide in a while, and so don't know if they still do), and that's what I like to use for placing sales threads on the Boards.

Another favorite Barry Smith Conan cover.  The interior art is spectacular, too.

Conan16Suscha.thumb.jpg.029230f2e4f951f20b7d0abd5b4b74b8.jpg

One of my favorite Conan covers

On 8/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, Macedoniagreece said:

My favorite What if issue 

And possibly the first appearance of Crom ? 

20210810_153406.jpg

Not even close.  The comic contents of Out of this World Adventures #1 are identical to Out of this World #1; according to the GCD they both hit the stands April 15, 1950.  Going with Out of this Adventures because that's the one I have a copy of; interior page is from the copy at Digital Comic Museum:

Out_of_this_World_Adventures_1.jpg

OOTWA 01 - 072 (CS22) Crom, the Barbarian - John Giunta.JPG

On 8/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, OtherEric said:

Not even close.  The comic contents of Out of this World Adventures #1 are identical to Out of this World #1; according to the GCD they both hit the stands April 15, 1950.  Going with Out of this Adventures because that's the one I have a copy of; interior page is from the copy at Digital Comic Museum:

Out_of_this_World_Adventures_1.jpg

OOTWA 01 - 072 (CS22) Crom, the Barbarian - John Giunta.JPG

Oh wow. 

A Crom barbarian. 

Although besides the name... They aren't the same.

But who am I to say O.o

On 8/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, Macedoniagreece said:

Oh wow. 

A Crom barbarian. 

Although besides the name... They aren't the same.

But who am I to say O.o

They really aren't.  But I thought it was a funny lead-in, and the book genuinely is one of the earliest Sword & Sorcery comics.  Gardner Fox is liberally borrowing from Conan here, to put it nicely.