• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay listing selling open slabs
1 1

18 posts in this topic

They paid for it. Why can't they do what they want with it? It's their property.

Edit: I just went back and looked at this listing again and noticed the sellers profile picture. Looks like he's a law enforcement officer of some kind... lol Just thought it was funny.

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

They paid for it. Why can't they do what they want with it? It's their property.

Edit: I just went back and looked at this listing again and noticed the sellers profile picture. Looks like he's a law enforcement officer of some kind... lol Just thought it was funny.

I'd say that CGC would want to protect their brand. These slabs are not meant to be opened cleanly and if people start doing this, it could question the legitimacy of many CGC slabs. I am sure this is not something CGC wants.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, JDayAD said:

I'd say that CGC would want to protect their brand. These slabs are not meant to be opened cleanly and if people start doing this, it could question the legitimacy of many CGC slabs. I am sure this is not something CGC wants.

I totally understand that CGC would want to protect their brand. Just seems like they need better quality control or even change up the slabs again and make sure they are total sealed and can't be popped open so easily even tho this is the second time I've seen a clean opening like this one. So I'm gonna assume this is very rare.

But back to my main point. That's like telling people they can't use usps boxes to ship thing through ups or FedEx. Once those boxes get into my hands, they are my property and I can use or do what I want with them. Same goes with these slabs. I paid for the grading service and slabs once they get back into my hands I can do whatever I want with them. Sell them, trade them, break open the cases and sell the labels it doesn't matter.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

But back to my main point. That's like telling people they can't use usps boxes to ship thing through ups or FedEx. Once those boxes get into my hands, they are my property and I can use or do what I want with them.

Well this is completely false!  Those USPS provided shipping boxes remain the property of the post office and are provided to be used for their labeled purpose.  Not only can you not legally use them to ship with other carriers but you must use the appropriate service level within the post office(priority mail boxes must be used for priority mail, not express or other service levels)

On 9/9/2021 at 6:00 AM, Danny Dabberino said:

Well this is completely false!  Those USPS provided shipping boxes remain the property of the post office and are provided to be used for their labeled purpose.  Not only can you not legally use them to ship with other carriers but you must use the appropriate service level within the post office(priority mail boxes must be used for priority mail, not express or other service levels)

I've been reusing boxes for a few years now with no problems or complaints what so ever from any carrier. Nothing illegal about it. Lol 

On 9/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

I've been reusing boxes for a few years now with no problems or complaints what so ever from any carrier. Nothing illegal about it. Lol 

My man, just because you do something all the time doesn't make it 'legal'. The person above you is right, though I imagine the effort it would take to police every box being used against the terms you accept when you get that 'free' box from the USPS would be too high to make sense. Still, the box is explicitly the property of the USPS, so hope you aren't the 1 out of however many who run afoul of this at some point. 

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/usps-supply-misuse-fines-4037892

On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, Ron Churches said:

My man, just because you do something all the time doesn't make it 'legal'. The person above you is right, though I imagine the effort it would take to police every box being used against the terms you accept when you get that 'free' box from the USPS would be too high to make sense. Still, the box is explicitly the property of the USPS, so hope you aren't the 1 out of however many who run afoul of this at some point. 

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/usps-supply-misuse-fines-4037892

That's like saying a dealership still owns my car even after I paid in full for it lol.

T

It's all about the terms of use man, just as he said priority boxes remain the property of the post office. Reusing one that has already been shipped priority for another service might be a Grey area but taking a new priority box and using to ship something not usps priority is illegal. The can and do arrest people for it.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

I totally understand that CGC would want to protect their brand. Just seems like they need better quality control or even change up the slabs again and make sure they are total sealed and can't be popped open so easily even tho this is the second time I've seen a clean opening like this one. So I'm gonna assume this is very rare.

But back to my main point. That's like telling people they can't use usps boxes to ship thing through ups or FedEx. Once those boxes get into my hands, they are my property and I can use or do what I want with them. Same goes with these slabs. I paid for the grading service and slabs once they get back into my hands I can do whatever I want with them. Sell them, trade them, break open the cases and sell the labels it doesn't matter.

I am not providing legal advice or suggestions. Just laying words out here.

HomeGrownPoke1 is correct here about the USPS boxes.

The person legally responsible for using the USPS boxes in the correct manner is the person who ORIGINALLY ORDERED the boxes or ORIGINALLY TAKEN the boxes from the post office. You click an agreement on the USPS website and the verbiate is presented at the post office where you would obtain the boxes.

Once the box is used in its intended manner. The USPS actively encourages recycling the box, which also means reuse it in some manner OR to discard the box (As it is weaker)

Now, the USPS and any other carrier could easily deny service to someone using an already used USPS box. But there is no legal repercussion to someone re-using a previously correctly used box.

This was an issue for almost a year and CGC sold thousands of slabs that are unsecured.  

I don’t like what this jerk on eBay is doing but this is a problem and anyone who did business with CGC needs to have communication from the company about how to fix this problem and have their cards fixed.  

This is why CGC cards don’t hold market value.  Watch a YouTube video.  You can open these without using any tools… with only your hands.  

you can’t be in the business of encapsulating cards and not have a secure holder.  

if you have an old card… you should make sure you don’t have this problem after watching a video and educate yourself and then contact the company to get this fixed.

These shouldn’t be able to be separated without being destroyed.  This is a fact