• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Card reholdering with sub-grades

9 posts in this topic

@PaulS.if I send in a Pristine 10 card that currently doesn't have sub-grades in for reholdering, can I add a service for sub-grades as well?  

Also, if the order is able to get sub-grades, could it also change to a Perfect 10 if all four sub-grades are 10?

The reholder definition says the grade will not change, however both 10s are the same grade, but not the same grade 'type'.

I know this is dependent on if sub-grades can be added to a reholder order.

• Administrator

This would need to be submitted for regrade with sub grades in the holder. The grade would not be lower than a 10.

Paul

On 8/12/2021 at 5:55 AM, PaulS. said:

This would need to be submitted for regrade with sub grades in the holder. The grade would not be lower than a 10.

Paul

Paul why is this the policy when you guys have stated subgraded slabs are scrutinized for 3 to 4 times longer than nonsubgraded slabs? How is this policy not an exploitable loophole if people can get easier grades initially by grading with no subs and then resubmitting to add subs later (while guaranteeing the same overall grade)? 

On 8/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, PokemanDude90 said:

Paul why is this the policy when you guys have stated subgraded slabs are scrutinized for 3 to 4 times longer than nonsubgraded slabs? How is this policy not an exploitable loophole if people can get easier grades initially by grading with no subs and then resubmitting to add subs later (while guaranteeing the same overall grade)? 

Thank you Paul, I appreciate the answer!

pokemandedude, cgc doesn’t force anyone to get sub grades, and doesn’t stop anyone from getting them either.  If I submit 100 cards that I think are candidates for a 10 and only 2 or 3 get 10’s, I can’t personally be sure which 2 or 3 will get them.  This helps me identify which to resubmit for sub grades without wasting a lot of my money and their time initially.

For what it’s worth, I’ve submitted hundreds and hundreds of cards to cgc in the last 9 months and literally zero have gotten a 10 grade or a single 10 sub grade, and that’s with opening brand new sealed packs from sealed booster boxes in sealed cases with gloves on, and putting them directly in sleeves.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:55 AM, PaulS. said:

Paul

@PaulS. I don't see where this is an option. When I go to the submission form for ReHolder, the only additional service I see is high res imaging. There's nothing to select for sub grades.

• Administrator
On 8/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, PokemanDude90 said:

The cards will receive the same overall grade regardless. The grade on a card is determined by either the lowest or two lowest subgrades. For example, let's say you have a Base Set Charizard. It's a very nice card, except for whatever reason it has a large dent in the middle of the card.

With sub grades, the grader would have to determine each of the four sub grades and the final grade and record them, Let's say that the sub grades are 9.5, 5, 8, and 9. Overall, that would be a 6 because of the low surface grade. Without sub grades, they will just note that clearly the surface grade is going to be the lowest by a large margin. So they simply look at that, determine that sub grade would have been a 5, and then the overall grade is a 6. Much, much quicker, but same result. 

Paul

• Administrator
On 8/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, RoLaren said:

@PaulS. I don't see where this is an option. When I go to the submission form for ReHolder, the only additional service I see is high res imaging. There's nothing to select for sub grades.

You want to select grading, then after you enter the card info, there is a checkbox below that says Resubmitting? You check that and enter the certification number on your card.

Paul

On 8/16/2021 at 7:02 AM, PaulS. said:

The cards will receive the same overall grade regardless. The grade on a card is determined by either the lowest or two lowest subgrades. For example, let's say you have a Base Set Charizard. It's a very nice card, except for whatever reason it has a large dent in the middle of the card.

With sub grades, the grader would have to determine each of the four sub grades and the final grade and record them, Let's say that the sub grades are 9.5, 5, 8, and 9. Overall, that would be a 6 because of the low surface grade. Without sub grades, they will just note that clearly the surface grade is going to be the lowest by a large margin. So they simply look at that, determine that sub grade would have been a 5, and then the overall grade is a 6. Much, much quicker, but same result. 

Paul

Finally makes sense why sub grades take a bit longer. Is there any plans to further enhance sub grades? Would be nice to see some kind of system that displays say where it's off center. Even digitally first would be ok where we check the cert# on CGC's site.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:02 AM, PaulS. said:

Paul

That makes sense, appreciate the insight Paul. 

On the topic of subgrades vs overall grade, can you confirm what some of us have theorized which is: starting at an overall grade of CGC 8.5 (and higher), the lowest sub-grade can be .5 lower than the overall grade? Meaning, a CGC 8.5 cannot have a 7.5 subgrade, it at worst can have one 8 subgrade, but an overall CGC 8 can have a 7 subgrade? So basically the allowable lowest subgrade difference goes from a full 1 point (which you demonstrated in your example) to only a .5 difference starting at that 8.5 grade.