• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frayed Spine Conundrum
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So I've been searching through the boards for more information on frayed spines. I've read the Let's see your 'frayed spine' downgraded slabs!!! thread and it raised some questions. I have some books from the 1990s that I'm considering sending for grading but they all exhibit varying degrees of spine fraying. I always assumed that this was considered a production issue (with possible exceptions when particularly excessive), but it seems that CGC is now factoring this into the grade. What's the current consensus on this? Also, I've attached a photo of part of the spine from one of my copies of Punisher War Journal #6. This book is pretty much a 9.6 aside from the spine, and I'm wondering how present day CGC would assess the grade.

pej6-spine.jpg

I think @theCapraAegagrus had the best answer in the thread you mentioned.

"CGC will only accept it as a MFG defect if it is common."

I pulled out my copy of Punisher War Journal 6. While it shows the crease from the cover fold, it does not display any fraying.

This looks to downgrade an otherwise flawless book to VF/NM. Maybe lower with the additional of other flaws. 8.0-9.0.

The odd thing, to me, is that this clearly occurs to comic books across many issues yet CGC will only consider this particular flaw a "MFG defect" if it's common for that specific issue.

I definitely understand the confusion as to why it would be ignored for 1 issue but not another.

I guess I'm also having trouble determining the difference between regular cover fold creasing and when it crosses over to actual spine fraying. I have four copies of PWJ #6 and they all exhibit cover fold creasing to various degrees. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:47 PM, JJ Speederman said:

I guess I'm also having trouble determining the difference between regular cover fold creasing and when it crosses over to actual spine fraying. I have four copies of PWJ #6 and they all exhibit cover fold creasing to various degrees. 

If they all came from the same bundle, it could be a result of distribution/handling. It would more likely be found to be a manufacturing flaw if multiple copies from different regions exhibit the flaw as opposed to buying multiple copies from the same source who’s inventory was packaged together and they were all subject to receiving the same damage

I bought all three variants from different sellers online of Darkhawk 1 Heart of the Hawk that came out in April (the one that ended the 1991 series not the new Darkhawk 1 about to be shipped), and all of them had spine fraying. It's awful. One seller said it was bc the new comics are cheap or they aren't waiting long enough for the ink to dry but he says it is very common now, i don't know if he was just saying that. Im going to buy one more new comic to see if it happens again. 

Edited by Buckaroo19
Correction