• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bloated Ask Prices For Flimsy Reasons
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 9:42 PM, Randall Ries said:

How does a DC cover end up on a Marvel book? Same printers?

The cover of DC’s New Teen Titans #6 has been accidentally placed onto the issue of Marvel-Two-In-One #74, both of which were printed in April of 1981. It just so happens that during the period Marvel Comics had been printing at Ronald’s Printing in Canada before DC Comics followed along. (Hypebeast.com)

On 8/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, Randall Ries said:

The buyers mind or the sellers mind?

It was advertised as 2 copies of only 3 in existence.

Seller definitely like

cc24564416b7adca2abe1ac3ee33425e.gif.abad19f5318d98e581851c5de917f571.gif

When I was a kid, collecting coins was a lot more popular than it is now. Minting errors were hot. Many a day we would spend putting pennies on railroad tracks hoping we could sucker other kids with a minting error. We were also a lot smarter than most adults are today.

il_1588xN.1812695263_ijyu.jpg

On 8/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, batmiesta said:

I actually looked this up because I thought it was a :censored: take, you have to wonder what actually goes on in some peoples minds. :insane:

On 8/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, Randall Ries said:

When I was a kid, collecting coins was a lot more popular than it is now. Minting errors were hot. Many a day we would spend putting pennies on railroad tracks hoping we could sucker other kids with a minting error. We were also a lot smarter than most adults are today.

il_1588xN.1812695263_ijyu.jpg

Penny for their thoughts? 

It's kind of obvious isn't it? Having just opened up an eBay store myself, this is obviously a way to get free eyeballs from outraged or amused lookers such as yourselves. Once there, you'll probably look at their other offerings for other outrageous listings. In any case, you'll have achieved their goal... you've looked at their listing, and then looked at their other listings. A certain percentage may then convert into actual sales on the normally priced stuff. (shrug)

Edited by sckao

On 8/15/2021 at 4:06 PM, sckao said:

It's kind of obvious isn't it? Having just opened up an eBay store myself, this is obviously a way to get free eyeballs from outraged or amused lookers such as yourselves. Once there, you'll probably look at their other offerings for other outrageous listings. In any case, you'll have achieved their goal... you've looked at their listing, and then looked at their other listings. A certain percentage may then convert into actual sales on the normally priced stuff. (shrug)

That's true. Some people might do that. Usually, the bloated price turns me off enough to keep rolling by. I don't get outraged. I DO get amused. Then I get contemptuous and start threads like this one. LOL!

On 8/15/2021 at 6:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

Then I get contemptuous and start threads like this one. LOL!

I’ll second that. I would caution sellers against believing that “all attention is good attention.”

When I see shenanigans like this, the perpetrator goes into my “avoid forever” pile. I can’t tell if a seller who overvalues his books so egregiously is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, a con artist, or just the kind of individual that rhymes with “glass bowl,” but I know I’m not going to try a transaction to find out which one.