• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your walls
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Varanis said:

I don't have an art wall yet, but I'm working on setting one up and thought this might be a good thread to get opinions before I commit to anything. The wall should be able to hold 24 pieces if I want. I have 16 covers I know I want to display together, but wouldn't mind displaying more pieces. The installation will be semi-permanent - each piece will have 3 anchors; 2 on top and one on the bottom to prevent misalignment.  I'll be able to switch pieces around, but the mounts on the wall won't be able to be moved. All my art will be framed in the same size frames allowing for standardization and switch outs.

All that said, I've prototyped the 3 attached layouts so far. Curious what others think of this or if there are other layouts folks would suggest. I think there are a lot of pros and cons at play with anyway I put this together.

16 Total - Chronological.png

24 Total - Alternating.jpg

24 Total - Semi-Chronological.jpg

Personally, I don’t care for massive displays of art because I feel the raw quantity of material detracts from each individual piece with the result that the wall becomes more of a statement than what is on it. But, if I were going to set something up, I would make sure the pieces are all at or around eye level, and probably broken into smaller groupings on separate walls (how many depends on taste), maybe 5 or so per group, since odd numbers often look more natural, and also interject other things between groups, like furniture or just open space. I would also try to group art by subject matter, if possible, and definitely look to mixing heavily inked pieces interspersed with more open pieces between them. Anything closer than a frame sections’ width is likely to look cluttered, so If you pick a frame with a 1 inch border, try staying at least 1 if not 2 inches away from the next piece. 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:57 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Personally, I don’t care for massive displays of art because I feel the raw quantity of material detracts from each individual piece with the result that the wall becomes more of a statement than what is on it. But, if I were going to set something up, I would make sure the pieces are all at or around eye level, and probably broken into smaller groupings on separate walls (how many depends on taste), maybe 5 or so per group, since odd numbers often look more natural, and also interject other things between groups, like furniture or just open space. I would also try to group art by subject matter, if possible, and definitely look to mixing heavily inked pieces interspersed with more open pieces between them. Anything closer than a frame sections’ width is likely to look cluttered, so If you pick a frame with a 1 inch border, try staying at least 1 if not 2 inches away from the next piece. 

Love the sound of this Rob - this will look spectacular to see all of your CGR art together. Anxious to see this come to fruition! 

On 8/13/2021 at 5:38 AM, EXPhysiker said:

I redesigned my wall at my home office. Love the symmetric clean look. Will change the right four pieces to Batman pieces in the future. Also have to change the suspension from the top two left frames. The are older ones with a slightly different dimension. Now I have to think about the white wall on the left. This is even bigger. 

B5819D41-0BAD-4513-8BA2-D31CE37E07BF.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4744p6e60b16k38g914a

On 9/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, fmaz said:

Apologies for the light in the fourth photo… should have taken these earlier today.  Will need to do a rearrange slightly when Gil Kane Green Goblin gets back from framer in a few weeks… but basically first wall is splash page/modern wall and second wall is bronze (and hopefully) silver age stuff. 
9D0B3F6D-EF85-44D9-A49A-EC7AD9471FEA.thumb.jpeg.074c7f2ccdb2fd257f20f1dbbee1a212.jpeg

Who drew the X-Men piece in the upper left?

On 9/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, GreatEscape said:

Looks awesome Jason!  Shows you can mix and match frame styles and make it work.  So meticulous even to arrange around your monitor and lamp for max visibility (thumbsu

Thanks Dino! I see and understand uniformity but in my eyes the art we collect is so unique that the frames for them should be too… or at least have there own flair lol 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:03 PM, The Voord said:

Pride and joy of my 'wall' displays is the original painting by Brian Bysouth for THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1973).  As this was primarily a British movie (Ray Harryhausen was living in the UK at the time), this was 'the' campaign artwork:

o8AIzb5s_2103191915151gpauxiu.thumb.jpg.d7e50c7c5adc977557f6df73f27383ea.jpg

Shortly after this photo was taken, my American friend, Lloyd Braddy, re-created all the missing text elements which were incorporated onto the painting:

DS3faMYM_0807190449091sbpi.jpg

I am too envious. I love the Sinbad films especially this one.